Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

sti vs glock

glocklover

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Craig,

Why don't we meet at the range sometime and you can try out the STI? This way you can compare them head to head. The STI is really a nice gun. Towards the end of the season you can pick up a used one in the classifieds.

I might try shooting my G35 at one of the next local matches just to see how it feels compared to the STI. I shot my single stack a couple of weeks ago. Going from 20 rounds down to 8 was quite a change, but still a lot of fun.

Skip

That would be great to compare them. I have family visiting this weekend. Maybe we could meet at Van Meter a week from Sunday?

Craig

Craig,

I don't think that we have any training sessions that weekend, let me check with Lori. Let's talk early next week. By the way, congrats on your finish at the Big Dawg...

Skip

Practice Practice Practice with the gun you like and shoot well. It's not the gun that matters, it's the guy pulling the trigger. Unless it's a hipoint then you may have an argument.

If you are fine motor skilled, then the short, crisp trigger of the STI might spur a slight improvement in scores. But if you are gross motor skilled, then you might not shoot the STI's short trigger pull any better than the Glock's long trigger pull.

be

If you are fine motor skilled, then the short, crisp trigger of the STI might spur a slight improvement in scores. But if you are gross motor skilled, then you might not shoot the STI's short trigger pull any better than the Glock's long trigger pull.

be

I like that explanation. Curious, how does one determine if you are fine or gross motor skilled?

Skip

be

I like that explanation. Curious, how does one determine if you are fine or gross motor skilled?

Skip

I can be pretty gross, especially around kids :roflol:

be

Skip

Find and take an online MBTI Temperament test. "SF's" are gross motor skilled, and "ST's" are fine motor skilled. And "NT's" and "NF's" are more cerebral or heart motor skilled. :)

be

be

Skip

Find and take an online MBTI Temperament test. "SF's" are gross motor skilled, and "ST's" are fine motor skilled. And "NT's" and "NF's" are more cerebral or heart motor skilled. :)

be

What guns should NF's have? Brain operated triggers? Could this be why I like the "ghost" trigger on my glock? :lol:

DNH

I've never fired a Glock.

This summer, I was trying to decide which gun to shoot for an upcoming Steel Challenge match. I set up Pendulum and ran it 25 times each with my old standby, my SA Trophy Match .45, and my new Limited gun, a secondhand (got it here) custom 6" STI .40. My average time was 0.71 seconds faster with the .40. Huge difference. It really surprised me, because I had been putting in lots of practice (live and dry) time with the .45. I finished 2nd limited, behind Mike Seeklander. I haven't shot SS since...

The gun can make a difference. So would $2300 worth of practice ammo.

Hey, aren't you an NF? I am, ENFJ, only 3%.

Yes, but I'm a pretty even split on S and N. Probably a bit more S than N. I, then S/N, solid F, then P/J.

be

Lol your comments here are as confusing as your book lol I just can't grasp it

Both have plastic frames (-ish). Both will take you are far as you are willing to go if you put in the hours in the dojo.

Only one will make you happy if you already have your mind set, so go with your gut. Having trust and confidence in your pistol is almost as important as the hours that you will log in training.

It all depends on the shooter.But for me My STI 2011 and my 1911 is the way to go.There is nothing like a custom built gun just the way you like it.

Not a Glock fan don't like the Grip or the trigger.

I have never seen this Meyer Briggs Test, but find it fairly interesting...I will have to look into it more. BTW I am ISTP for what that is worth. So am I a Glock or STI ...lol

STI - "ST's" are fine motor skilled. But really, with your motor skills in your hands, you should be able to handle both (long/heavy or short/crisp trigger pull) fairly well. From my experience and observations, it seems fine motor skilled types handle nice short/crisp triggers real well, whereas gross motor skilled types handle longer/rougher triggers better.

be

I asked this same question to one of the above mentioned GM's. I asked "How much performance difference do you think it makes, in limited division, shooting an STI or an M&P Pro .40?" Which is what I shoot now with 18 rounds per mag (taylor freelance extensions) and a tungsten guide rod.

He said based on ergonomics of the more custom guns, shorter/lighter/more defind breaks in triggers, heavier frames and faster follow up shots, that you could possible improve around 7-10%.

I don't know if he was talking in general or just to me regarding my shooting abilities since I've been training with him. But for me personally, I would tend to think that I would improve in regards to what he mentioned...but I suck at math and wouldn't know how to figure that into percentage wise when I finally get an STI. That's my plan for after nationals where I'll be shooting production. I'm an A in production and B in Limited.

Edited by Prov1x

• 2 weeks later...

How are you doing?

Decided yet to stay with Glock or go to STI?

Did you get to try either one?

I think everyone posting here has already formed their bias and it would be nice to hear about how you are forming your orientation.

Just remember, if you go over to the other side you won't be able to return...Unless you start shooting the other side's gun again. :D

In the end it's all about what is best for you. That's why choices exist. Otherwise there'd be only one choice.

DNH