Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best AR-10 for the money?

Hello all

I would like to open this discussion up to all of you who are big AR-10 fans. What are your opinions on the best make and model and why. What decisions, if any, would you have considered now from your past experiences? I'm looking into a GA Precision GAP-10 with a 24" heavy barrel but I'm hoping to gather information from you all to help confirm my purchase. I hope to hear from many of you, thank you.

Paul

Hello all

I would like to open this discussion up to all of you who are big AR-10 fans. What are your opinions on the best make and model and why. What decisions, if any, would you have considered now from your past experiences? I'm looking into a GA Precision GAP-10 with a 24" heavy barrel but I'm hoping to gather information from you all to help confirm my purchase. I hope to hear from many of you, thank you.

Paul

(Whistle...) Whew Thats a spendy unit...

I myself prefer the original. Armalite. They are a quality built great gun for the value. Good accuracy, comes with a 2 stage trigger, and plenty of different options from the factory. If you look around you can find one for 12 to 14. 2 armalites or one gap rifle...?

Though I do argee a JP would be near ultimate. but... $$$$$$$

Thanks for replies so far:)

The biggest challenge im coming across is length and quality of a barrel. You can find most makes in a 16 to 20" barrel, and there is nothing wrong with this, but finding a 24" heavy barrel that will last 10k plus rounds is the challenge. My local dealer recommends a LWRC REPR which is an excellent choice, especially because LWRCI™ rifles and carbines utilize cold hammer forged barrels made out of 41V45 steel alloy and treated with NiCorr™ surface conversion technology. Im not sure how many rounds their REPR barrels can deliver but their M4 barrels last 20k rounds, Wow. Any thoughts?

• 3 weeks later...

The more I thought about the idea of an AR-pattern rifle in .308, the more I had to have one. So I picked up a DPMS Oracle (bare bones) and put on a Midwest Industries quad rail, a Troy folding BUIS set, a sling, a Hogue grip, and a Grip-Pod.

The rifle itself was under $1K but a few hundred over after the add-ons.

No one calls DPMS "high end", but I don't care. The rifle runs 100% and I can use it for lots of things.

My Dad owns one of the LRP-07 rifles. He is really happy with it. I can't remember what glass he went with, but it cost about as much as the gun if I remember correctly. I laugh at how he sends me the dies for every rifle he buys himself. None too subtle that Dad of mine. :roflol:

Hello all

Paul

What caliber? A .308 will have a good barrel life, but, a .243 will be hard pressed for half the useful life of the .308.

Personally I wanted something mobile so I bought a 16". I got a really good deal on a Bushmaster LR308 that I couldn't pass up. I runs great. I got it mostly for hunting and the range. I have owned a couple of Armalite AR10s and the Bushmaster compares with them pretty well. It may not be Gap 10 or JP precision but it works for me.

If you are a bit adventurous, and handy as well as budget oriented, why not put together your own? Just buy a stripped lower and get a complete parts kit and you can cherry pick whatever parts you want and have it all your way. You can make something quite nice for a fraction of the fancy armalite thing the silly poster above touted. :D

I've got an Armalite and I really like it. I'm taking it to Front Sight this year for the 2 Day Practical Rifle class instead of my .223 AR even though it's heavy. I could have spent a lot of time and money on it, but funny thing - all those guys who show up for the 4 day class with the high-speed low-drag rifles find that many of them break about halfway through the course, while the garden-variety ARs just keep going and going, like the Energizer Bunny. I put an aftermarket trigger on my ARs, but that's it, and they all run fine so far. I'm not into high dollar guns - I want nice guns that are good shooters and as dependable as I can make them.

I have a DPMS Tac-20 in 308. Fluted Barrel, JP trigger, Titan comp and Magpul PRS. Kinda heavy, but shoots awesome. Highly recommended for the money. I have about $1500 total in it as it came from DPMS with everything but the comp. Got it from Nelson Tactical in Green Bay, Wi.

I picked up a 16" barrel DPMS Oracle (bare bones AR in .308) for under $1k and put on a folding Troy BUIS set, a Midwest Industries quad rail, a Grip-Pod, a Hogue grip and a sling, and feel like I've got a very versatile rifle. So far it has shot four different brands of .308 ammo (I don't use any 7.62x51mm) out of both the factory mags and Magpul Pmags, all with no hangups.

The trigger is heavy but that bothers me less on a rifle, at least where I'm currently at in my relationship with rifles. If I need light'n'crisp for precision shooting, I'll be turning to different rifles anyway.

I considered a LWRC REPR, a POF-USA, an LMT, a SCAR 17s (not an AR as most of you know), and a few others, but decided to start lower-end and see if I like the .308 AR concept.

I DO. A lot. As an ex-Army guy who was trained on the M16A1, I can really relate to this weapon pattern in its orginally intended caliber.

I'll be using this rifle to hunt as well as finding out what I can print on paper across a wide range of yardages.

Edited by GunBugBit

• 4 weeks later...

I dig my new Armalite AR-10A4. It feels great and looks good. You should be aware of the 2 versions.

Armalite AR 10 rifles now come in two versions. "A" version accepts P-Mags. "B" version accepts Armalite proprietary steel mags. You can get all of the configurations 10-T, A4, A2 in "A" or "B" versions. I Just picked up the AR10 A4 "B" model.

I actually meant to get the "A" version and didn't realize until I got home that it was the "B" model. I called Armalite the next day and they said that they are happier with the steel mags over P-mags. I've been reading here about some issues with P-mags stippling on the inside and am glad to have the steel mags. I've shot the gun a few times and actually like the feel and positive engagement of the steel mag.

You cannot interchange P-mags and steel Armalite mags on the same gun. Different upper/lower machining, bolt stop/release and bolt carrier.