Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Open Gun Choices

MattYvip

Gents,

Sorry if this has been posted or asked before, I searched (yes I even used the search function) though I may have missed it. I'm looking to get into an open gun for next season (happily sucking at limited for this one). My question is fairly simple... Do I pick up a trubor or a matchmaster or do I spend the extra dough and go right for a Camerons Customs or a Bedell or _________ (<-- insert favorite gunsmiths name here)? Also what are ya'lls opnions on buying a used gun? Any advice is welcome and appreciated.

i went right to a custom build. grundhauser gun works here in MN. i love my gun. i dont regret it. BUT, read up. do some research on what people like, and what gets good reviews. people are loving freedom gun works, and akai right now from what ive been seeing. theres others as well. also, get your hands on some open guns from locals you shoot with. put some rounds through and see how you like it. do you want 9 major or super? maybe a hybrid or barrel ports? you want a shorty or a full size? a used gun from a popular gunsmith may be the right road. youll just have to get your hands dirty and dig in and find out what you like. i knew exacctly what i wanted when going into open so it was an easy decision. good luck. open rules

I'd spend the money and get the gun you want. No point in buying a trubor then spending money to change this and that. The only downside ishaving to wait, but not always the case.

I say go for a custom if you have the $ right now. Don't overlook your local builders. I didn't know it but there are some great pistol smiths right in my back yard. Major advantages to buying local in my opinion. Another thing to remember is that the difference between custom builder "A" and custom builder "B" is so narrow that it will probably not be noticed in your first gun. Buy the one you can get the quickest and the cheapest. My advice even though I didn't necessarily follow it... :roflol::cheers:

Thanks for the info... I'm running a Camerons Custom 6" for Limited right now so I may look for a used custom build for sale based on ya'lls input. Thanks again! And still open for advice so keep'em coming

If money is no object, pick a gunsmith and go for the gusto. If money is an object, find a good used gun locally or here in BEnosverse and put the coin away for reloading equipment, etc. I bought a slightly used Trubore nine or ten months ago and after I put thirty or so rounds through it to dial it in, found that I prefer limited. Saved myself some money.

Quick add on to the original question... What is everyone's take on the Dawson Precision "competition ready pistol" line? Is that a good middle of the road pick or still look for the used custom build?

Especially on an open gun, I think a local builder, if he's good, is an excellent choice. Its unlikely you'd want to buy two, and going back to shooting another division gets a bit frustrating.

I started with a new "tuned" Trubor. If I add to the price of the gun the cost to ship it back 4 times and consider the time I was without it, smacking my forehead with my palm, I could have had a Bedell. I do not blame the vendor where I bought my Trubor, they were great in helping my get it running. My 9 major had the 9mm breach face, they are now built using a 38 super breach face. I am extremely happy with my Bedell guns and if I had it to do over again, Bedell would have been my first purchase.

Save yourself a bunch of headache and frustration and go for the gusto. Find a good gunsmith that will work with you and run the recommended loads. You will be happy I'm sure! :cheers:

I'm going the uber cheap route, one because I don't have the cash at the moment and two I'm not sure if Open is what I want to shoot. My gun will be based on a M&P 9L shooting 9 Major with Leupold Deltapoint, threaded barrel and Carver comp.

I'm known for tough love. If you suck with a limited gun and you can see the sights then chances are good it will take you a good while to get as good with the Open gun as you were with the limited.

If you like limited and you just feel you need to get better, I suggest that you take a class with one of the big dogs. It helped me go from C to B in open and by accident B in limited 10.

I started open with a Tanfo Gold team $1500 with 16 mags, great gun but didn't fit my hands well. Next a used STI 38SC, still have that gun and still love it but now 9 Major. Next was an STI Competitor $1600, then another Competitor only newer $2000 with a dillon 650 and lots of stuff I sold, and the gun was free, then an SVI $1000. All these in the first two years. All great guns, I shot them all with the same mediocrity. I had an idea what I wanted and had a gun smith sponsor, so I bouth all the parts and had a gun built to my exact standards, still C class. Went to a Straighter class made B next month.

Now what would I buy, a used gun that runs in 38SC, market should be around $2k or less for a good one. The sidemore will be easier to learn than the upright, been there done that. Shoot whatever you get for one year and don't quit and you will be converted to open. Then when you attempt to go back to iron sights you will find that you are shooting along looking at the target and never did see any sights. It is hard to pickup an iron sight gun and think sights.

Good luck and happy shopping.

I'm running a Camerons Custom 6" for Limited

Sounds like you are leaning towards a custom open gun.

I bought two TruBor's - $2,700 each - put on a slide racker

and some rough tape on the grip - took a while to learn how

to shoot the upright C-More, but all it took was practice.

Bought 1 TruBor from Brazos - highly recommend their TruBor.

You get the gun in two weeks and can practice with it for

the next 3-9 months you'd be waiting for your custom gun

to come in.

No disadvantage to the TruBor, but it's fast and inexpensive.

Good luck = doubt you can go wrong either way if you have the

money.

:cheers:

to come in.

money.

6" ooohh my that's too big, no wonder you got problems, I would be tempted to swap a good running open gun for that problematic limited gun. :devil: Now the hard part would be to figure out which one of the girls to give up.

Ok TruBore, they come in two flavors pukers and ones that run, if new Dawson or Brazos performance pack. A good smith with a good hammer can make a puker run, Benny Hill can make a pig fly. If you snag a trubore get 2 #3 poppel holes put in it, and that is either 9 major or 38S/SC it will tame the beast. IMHO

If you are approaching the $3000 mark I would give AKAI guns a call, I'm shooting with several Rudy team members and have shot their guns and they are some of the best, Don Hardy, Kyle Rijoas, Kevin Gentry, see mississippi classic results. There are a few that make exceptionally good looking guns, the difference in a Matt Cheely gun is it also runs!

Hello: If you can wait till after nationals ther will be lots of good open pistols for sale. You will save alot of money buying used and in most cases get a great pistol. That will also give you a chance to shoot some local guys open pistols to see what you may like. The Tru Bor can be made to rock if you lighten the slide and use 115 grain bullets with HS-6 powder for 9mm :cheers: Thanks, Eric

If it's all for fun and you're not super serious about training or trying to win major matches. Used or TruBor

If you might want to win, might step up your training to compete at a major level. Get a high end used or a budget minded custom

Last, if you demand the best, are going to put in lots of hard work and want to try to win major matches. Get the flagship model from a major builder. No, you don't need it to win, it is the Indian not the bow. On the other hand, if you plan on shooting 25,000+ rounds a year and need super reliable equipment, it's nice to have a gunsmith on the horn to keep you up and running.

to come in.

money.

excuse my ignorance... but do you have 3 trubors? 2 assembled from STI and one assembled at Brazos? what I'm reading (maybe in error) is that you find the one built by brazos runs better than an off the shelf trubor?

Hello: If you can wait till after nationals ther will be lots of good open pistols for sale. You will save alot of money buying used and in most cases get a great pistol. That will also give you a chance to shoot some local guys open pistols to see what you may like. The Tru Bor can be made to rock if you lighten the slide and use 115 grain bullets with HS-6 powder for 9mm :cheers: Thanks, Eric

will there be an influx of used open guns for sale here? or would someone have to go to nations and hang out? sorry for the stupid question.. I'm just shopping.