Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Which 9mm Dies for Glocks?

benos

I sold a 550 to a guy today (hasn't yet reloaded) who was concerned about using standard Dillon Dies for loading 9mm in his Glock. (He'd heard about all the problems with .40's.) He ended up going with a Dillon sizing die (only because EGW was out of stock), a Dillon seater, and a Lee Factory Crimp Die. So I'm looking for as many opinions as possible as to whether this is necessary with the 9mm/Glock combo. (I know many are real happy with that setup with the .40.)

be

I've probably loaded over 100K 9mm's on my 1050 using Dillon dies with no problems. Most of this has been shot in Glock 17's and reloaded many times. I case gauge everything for matches and usually shoot the rejects with no problem. I am using a Dillon crimp die now. I was using a Lee Factory Crimp Die but had problems with it cutting plated bullets and keyholing.

Bill Nesbitt

I'm the guy in question, thanks so much for the advice BE. Just to clarify I'll be reloading mostly for an STI major 9 open gun, but also some for a Glock 17. Also may be using brass that came from said (or other) Glocks.

EGW usually gets new undersize dies within 1 week when they run out. I would suggest that you order one of their 9mm undersize dies. http://www.egw-guns.com

The Lee Factory Crimp die works well, but I my experience, don't get the GlockBuldge out all the time.

The last option is to take a normal resize die and have someone grind it down so that it full-length resizes, as oppsed to the Dillon (and most other resize dies) that are designed for progressive presses and ease of operation.

Be sure to use a chamber checker and use it to check all the loaded rounds.

All Glock bbls do not fully-support the case. Even aftermarket bbls for Glock don't completely support the case like they do in 1911 bbls.

Another suggestion is to find the September 2003 issue of Front Sight (the one covering the 2003 3-Gun Nationals), as there is an article by someone using 9 Major in a Glock.

-David

I use the standard Dillon dies in both .40 and 9mm. Have no problems with either and have no need for the undersized dies. Highly recommened lubing the cases, even with a carbide die. I have seen bulges formed by the case being squashed by the die friction. I do chamber check all my ammo.

I use the standard Dillon dies in both .40 and 9mm. Have no problems with either and have no need for the undersized dies. Highly recommened lubing the cases, even with a carbide die. I have seen bulges formed by the case being squashed by the die friction. I do chamber check all my ammo.

I got the same advice from a Dillon employee about lubing my .40 loads and have been MUCH happier since I started doing so. I still check all the ammo I am using before the match and a lot more of it passes the check now.

-ld

Standard 9mm Dillon size dies for all my 9mm loading (9x19 & 9x21) on my 550. Lotsa rounds downrange through Glock 9’s and a SIG P-226 with that setup. No problems and everything always passes my ammo gauges that way (but I still check them anyway).

--

Regards,

Edited by George

I have had no problems with the Dillon die in 9mm. 9mm Glock brass *does* have a small bulge, but nothing on the scale with 40. If the customer is really concerned, he can just trim the die down on the ol' MkXIV bench grinder and be done with it. No need to go elsewhere with dies.

(BTW - you really *do* need to sell the Redding seater dies. They are simply outstanding. Way better than Dillon's - and worth every penny.)

Here, here. (I love my Redding Seating Die)

I had been loading Major 9 without the Redding Die, and because of the long load length and short bullet seating depth, I was having some case gauge failures due to the bullet being crooked in the case. With the RD, no more problems of crooked bullets, and the adjustments are very nice n' easy.

I also use the EGW "U" die, and once I fixed my earlier problem with crooked bullets, my case gauge hasn't rejected anything. YMMV

Wonder what I've been doing different? I've used plain ole Dillon dies on a Dillon 550 for 4 or 5 years now. I've loaded a gillion 9's and .40's for Glocks.

Granted, I do get some loaded rounds that just won't pass the case gauge. They usually will load and chamber and eject just fine. But those become my practice rounds. But I don't get that many.

i load with RCBS sizing die, and even still i will get some that wont pass the gauge, but will chamber..its not a problem if HE only has a Glock. i had 4-500 rounds of 9mm that wouldnt chamber in anything but my glock...but it wasnt a sizing problem, i was using some precision bullets and they had bulged the many times fired range brass....still shot just spiffy in my glock.

as for glocks and brass life, i get 10 reloads or more out of my 9 brass. then it gets lost or mixed in with newer stuff.

After getting a few 9mm production rounds that wouldn't chamber check, I finally got the Lee Factory Crimp Die for my 650 last summer. That's eliminated the problem. When the 1050 came along, I bought another one. After case gauging the first 5000 rounds I loaded without encountering any bad rounds, I stopped case gauging everything other than major match ammo --- the die is simply that good. I won't load without one again --- and at around $20.- it's cheap enough....

Changing from all Dillon Dies to replacing the Dillon Crimp Die with the Lee FCD, and having used Hornady's one-shot lube with both, I didn't notice any difference in the force required to operate the handle during reloading on the 650. On the 1050 I started with the FCD in place. The 1050 does seem to run smoother that the 650 with possibly a slightly shorter handle stroke --- and of the course the elimination of the priming movement at the end of the upstroke.