Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shotgun Loading Challenge

keno34

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was finally able to make it out to the range today and give the Load 12 Challenge a try. Below are two of my videos from today. The first was in a time of 9.27 sec but I had a bobble that cost me a little time. In the second video I recorded a time of 8.98 sec. I also included a short video of my split times.

Thank you to Jeremy at The Shooters Source for getting me my Pinwheels and Carbon Arms for the design.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=a987q_IOOb0

Edited by cajun0007

Was suposed to start at port arms. We will do one this weekend a little more realistic in that you will shoot 1, load 6 on the move, shoot 4, load 6 on the move and shoot 1. Fame or f#&k up's to follow.

Really great loading cajun0007, , as a comparison I'd love to see you run one more tape starting at a low ready position rather than with the gun on your shoulder. I think it could ad a 1/2 second or so to the time.

It would seem the 2 stack loading is just as quick as the 4 with weak hand.

Tar

PS. Your quicker on the trigger than I am Benny :cheers:

Edited by Sleepswithdogs

Nice loading!! That was very smooth :cheers:

My only comment would be to start in port arms and get a camera view of you and the targets. Everytime I've put up a video countless people make comments about the targets or lack of targets in view. That is why I chose two cameras and a long shot of me and the targets. This is the first time no one jumped all over me about the targets, thankfully!

Nice shooting!

Keith

I know it doesn't look like it in the video but I was in the low ready and my sight was in the dirt below the plate rack. Next time I will do it from port arms.

Nice, looking forward to the drill!

Was suposed to start at port arms. We will do one this weekend a little more realistic in that you will shoot 1, load 6 on the move, shoot 4, load 6 on the move and shoot 1. Fame or f#&k up's to follow.

Nice loading!! That was very smooth :cheers:

My only comment would be to start in port arms and get a camera view of you and the targets. Everytime I've put up a video countless people make comments about the targets or lack of targets in view. That is why I chose two cameras and a long shot of me and the targets. This is the first time no one jumped all over me about the targets, thankfully!

Nice shooting!

Keith

I know it doesn't look like it in the video but I was in the low ready and my sight was in the dirt below the plate rack. Next time I will do it from port arms.

Thanks Keith and thanks for the drill. The only other drill I ever did was shoot 1 load 4 or 8, shoot 1. This drill is much more technical and really makes you focus.

This was filmed with an IPhone camera so sorry about the quality. Next time I will set up two cameras and be sure and start at port arms and get the second camera on the targets.

James

I finally decided to give this one a try. Most were like 13.XX, but I just woke up and was not warm. After 6 loads, times went down to 12.XX, and the last one was the fastest at 11.92.

I reckon I'm no whiz at loading, but I don't drop the shells anymore. :roflol:

Sorry, no video. TY Gentry, J.K. roeskee and myself. Drill, 5 plates @ 15 yds. Shoot 1, load 6 while moveing forward 10 feet, shoot 4, load 6 while moveing to the right 10 feet, shoot one. Ty was best w/ 5 run avg. of 10.43, J.K. second at 10.89 and myself last at 11.98. I need more practice before rockcastle. We must be slower than I thought.

When youtubing Load 12 Challenge I happen to come accross a video of Jamie Franks doing this drill from Top Shot Season 2. While he wasn't as fast as some of you I really like the "Load 12" Pistol version he did (or load 6) halfway through the video so I thought I share it:

Edit: I was just thinking about it but maybe those of you shooting Saiga-12s could try the pistol version for a good reloading/shooting drill. Just a thought!

Edited by Fenrir

Port Arms vs Low Ready.

For clarity, as far as what I have learned, port arms is with the gun close across your body, low on the right, high, muzzle end at the L shoulder.(Plenty of drill time on this one). Low ready is the same position as was used by skeet shooters in earlier times (and what I wish they would go back to); butt below the elbow, (or hip [top of the illiac crest] depending on sanctioning body) and gun muzzle high and basically 90* to your body.

I believe from watching the vid, Keith was starting from the low ready position.

TAR

Edited by Sleepswithdogs

So for someone like me who can only load three shells at a time, what would be a good time. I have small hands and I've tried to load four at a time but it just doesn't work for me. Should I adapt the drill to loading six rounds at a time or should I practice the drill only loading three rounds?

Mark, how will this work out at the match this month for those of us that don't load four at a time?

BP

Edited by bullpup

So for someone like me who can only load three shells at a time, what would be a good time. I have small hands and I've tried to load four at a time but it just doesn't work for me. Should I adapt the drill to loading six rounds at a time or should I practice the drill only loading three rounds?

Mark, how will this work out at the match this month for those of us that don't load four at a time?

BP

If you can only hold 3 shells in your hand, Pinwheels might be something you're interested in....

Back on topic...

Port Arms vs Low Ready.

For clarity, as far as what I have learned, port arms is with the gun close across your body, low on the right, high, muzzle end at the L shoulder.(Plenty of drill time on this one). Low ready is the same position as was used by skeet shooters in earlier times (and what I wish they would go back to); butt below the elbow, (or hip [top of the illiac crest] depending on sanctioning body) and gun muzzle high and basically 90* to your body.

I believe from watching the vid, Keith was starting from the low ready position.

TAR

In terms of most 3gun matches, Port Arms is generally referred to as the position where the barrel is pointing upward and the buttstock is down around the hip bone. Low Ready is the gun on the shoulder, barrel pointed down in the dirt, sometimes at a specific point (marking, flag, etc)