Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shotgun Loading Challenge

keno34

The drill does not (nor would a stage) specify the "how" of the loading 4 rounds, just get them in the gun as fast as you can...

Cool! And back on topic, it does look like it would be a fun drill to run...humbling, but fun!

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So I got out of the basement today :D and did this drill. I used poppers at 15 yards in lieu of a plate rack. Average times were in the mid 13's with the best at 12.95. My new goal is to get this under 12. This is great practice! Thanks Keith. What other clever drills do you have?

Port Arms vs Low Ready.

For clarity, as far as what I have learned, port arms is with the gun close across your body, low on the right, high, muzzle end at the L shoulder.(Plenty of drill time on this one). Low ready is the same position as was used by skeet shooters in earlier times (and what I wish they would go back to); butt below the elbow, (or hip [top of the illiac crest] depending on sanctioning body) and gun muzzle high and basically 90* to your body.

I believe from watching the vid, Keith was starting from the low ready position.

TAR

In terms of most 3gun matches, Port Arms is generally referred to as the position where the barrel is pointing upward and the buttstock is down around the hip bone. Low Ready is the gun on the shoulder, barrel pointed down in the dirt, sometimes at a specific point (marking, flag, etc)

Thanks for clearing that up.

We ran a small local match today and Ran Garcia's drill as a stage. We had a pretty good spread of shooters. We had an Open B class pistol shooter shoot the stages with us which gives some semblance of comparison (he put the requisite number of rounds in mags and did reloads at the same places). Garcia's stage was the first stage after set-up, but we did take some more runs at it afterwards in (parenthesis).

Load 12 Shotgun Challenge

Ron W (Open Pistol) 13.81

Eric M 14.76 (12.89)

Mark P 17.12 (14.24)

Jay W 21.18 (17.59)

Dan B 21.63 (22.10)

Dan T 28.39

Chris P 31.45

Sid S 33.38

After watching the guys who load 3 at a time get severely handicapped, we discussed that another drill might be appropriate. Same start, shoot 1, shoot 4 and load 12 as desired, last shot on plate. I ran the drill this way and took off 2/10ths. The 3 round loaders were able to take off about 2 seconds. This is probably a little more realisitic since it allows alternative load numbers, but, it does not necesarily require the same number of mounts.

Stage 2 was 6 Clays at 10 yards, start with 3 rounds in the gun at Port Arms. Shoot all Clays loading as needed.

Clay Standards

Eric M 5.08

Mark P 6.19

Jay Weers 6.39

Dan B 7.10

Ron W (Open Pistol) 7.36

Sid S 10.01

Dan T 10.43

Chris P 10.84

Stage 3 had a pallet on the left with 5 plates at 9 to 12 yards, an 8 foot wide middle with 3 plates, 4 poppers that launched 4 flipped clays and then 5 plates on the right through a low port. Start loaded in the middle and engage all targets. I have a photo of the set up I will post in a bit.

Flippin' & Steelin'

Ron W (Open Pistol, no clays) 25.14

Eric M 26.09

Mark P 32.49

Jay W 40.64

Dan T 46.07

Dan B 49.22

Sid S 50.08

Chris P 59.01

Stage 4 had 3 arrays, 2 metric paper (slugs) on the left at 40 yards, 3 USPs (buckshot, auto-restting) in the middle at 15 yards and 2 metric paper (slugs) on the right at 40 yards. Start was port arms with ONLY 2 slugs and 3 buck in the gun in the middle. Each array had to be engaged twice and no array could be engaged back to back. The purpose was to pose both a memory issue in loading and examine the candy-caning that some stages may "offer." It was not easy. I have a photo of the set-up I'll post in a bit.

Heavy Standards

Eric M 33.26

Jay W 36.72

Mark P 39.86

Ron w (Open pistol) 40.28

Sid S 49.20

Dan B 50.78

Dan T 56.00

Chris P 84.97

Stage 5 was very close to Brian Payne's drill. EricM has dubbed it "Payne's 6 Dollar Square Dance." We used 5 auto-rest colt speed plates at the same distance Brian specified and the boxes laid out the same. I also have a photo of the set-up I will put up later. The last three had miss penatlies.

Eric M 29.99

Mark P 31.59

Jay W 42.17

Dan B 47.61

Chris P 59.98

Dan T 62.63

Sid S 99.45

Ron W 183.02 (Open Pistol, 33.02 raw)

Overall Finals for the match were:

Eric M 100%

Mark P 85.4%

Jay W 75.17% (HML)

Ron W 75.11% (Open Pistol)

Dan B 64.29%

Dan T 52.91%

Sid S 49.00%

Chris P 45.42%

Thanks to the willing guinea pigs who showed up for an all shotgun match!

Payne's 6 dollar Square Dance.

2012-06-02MGSt5.jpg

Start in any of the 4 boxes. Front are 12 yards from targets and boxes are spaced at 3 yards in a square. You may only have 25 rounds total in gun and on person. You will shoot the start box last making 5 rounds fired from each box.

Heavy Standards

2012-06-02MGSt4C.jpg

2012-06-02MGSt4R.jpg

The red line is an 8 foot wide 2x2 and the buckshot must be shot from behind the line. Start with toes on either the left or right set of Xs on the fault line. The walls are vision barriers and a forward charge line for slugs. The slug targets at 40 yards are lined up on the edge of the walls to force the movement across. Walls are 8 feet wide and spaced 12 feet apart, 2 feet uprange of the buckshot targets. Slugs targets scored as one A/B or 2 anywhere, but both arrays must be engaged twice.

Edited by MarkCO

Flippin' & Steelin'

2012-06-02MGSt3R.jpg

2012-06-02MGSt3L.jpg

Start loaded to division capacity, toes anywhere on fault line. Engage the left 5 plates from the mini-pallet (18" square). Engage the 3 center plates, 4 poppers and 4 flipped clays from behind the 8' long fault line. Engage the right 5 plates through the port. Those are 12" plates. Poppers at 10 yards from fault line. Center to port and center to pallet was 10'.

Edited by MarkCO

My load 12 challenge varied a little-

1) I started low ready because I didn't pay enough attention that is should have been port arms.

2) I don't have a plate rack, so I set out (6) 5" plates at 15 yards, about 16" apart.

3) No video, because I'm too lazy to set up a camera. :)

Four runs, average was 11.61. Quickest was 10.84. (Which shows me Keith is just burning it down to get under 10!)

Splits were what slowed me down. I averaged .74 on 1st shot (remember- from low ready, which should be faster than port arms) Quickest split was .30, but average was .38.

Load time for 4 shells averaged 3.36 shot to shot. Quickest was 2.85, slowest at 3.76.

Very fun! This is much more fun that just randomly shooting a few targets and then loading 4. Thanks for posting this, Keith.

Edited by Bryan 45

I gave this a try this morning. I also don't have a plate rack, so I took some of Taccom's steel on hangers and set them about 3' apart. I'm about 14 seconds for the whole thing starting at port arms.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

It has been 6 months since anyone has posted a new time...surely there are some out there. Anyone under 9 seconds for Keith's original drill?

I figure since the top 30 should be practicing for Vegas, it gives the rest of us 2 months to practice loading :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

6 months and no new living room warriors besting the prior times on these drills? I ran it with the VM the other day and took off a good chunk of time, will have to get the video out to the range for a verification. :)

Ran the load 12 challenge drill at my match as a stage at BGSL. Everyone hates me now. OK, they already hated me, now they hate me more. The best time was around 15: 00. No one knew about the stage until that day.

• 2 weeks later...

Any pump times? I tried this out yesterday on a 8" plate rack from 15yds. No vids because no one wants to watch how slow I am.

Benelli Nova 24", 9rd tube, mod choke. Standard weak hand load 4, from an AP 4x4 and California Comp single 4

Starting from port arms position

Best run was 18.37 out of 5 runs. Worst was 21.39 Slow as hell, but you gotta start somewhere.

Splits

.96-----6.05------.72-----4.89-----.72-----5.03

I know I can improve my shooting splits as I was slower than I think I can be, because I didn't want to miss trying it out for the first time. Gives me a base line to work from

• 1 month later...

A couple of weeks ago we took some video of load 12 and load 8 drills. I haven't been doing a lot of practice but when I have I am now trying to load without looking at the gun or caddy to try and imprint the process and make it more subconscious. What I found is that when I do look at the caddy, when live, my times are faster. For the next few months I'm trying to do all loading without looking to see how it goes.

PS Anyone want to adopt a Brit for the world 3 gun 2014 and lend me an AR and pistol? Possibly in exchange for a guided tour of sunny Devon, England.