Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Someone school me in compensators please!

Ub3RDoRK

So I'm getting started on a G17 and picked up a threaded KKM barrel that came with a basic compensator. My question is what can I see in difference between different comps? 3-4+ ports? I am not quite sure what this gun is going to be primarily used for though.

I currently shoot local steel matches and that's about it until I get more serious about uspsa.

So knowing that can someone steer me into some info like power factor with different comps etc?

Oh and it's a gen 4 G17.

Thanks in advance.

You will need a slower burning powder to get the true benefit of the comp, as it's designed to redirect the pressure and gasses in a direction that helps you keep the gun flat. it'll do it's job with factory ammo, but not as well. Oh....and try to keep your mouth closed when firing, lol!

Get some 95gr Zeros and throw about 6gr of HS6 behind them, if that don't get it add another grain or two of powder. 115gr will work as well. My steel load is 5.6gr of Autocomp with 115gr Zero but get MTG CMJ's so you don't get led in the comp. I shoot sti but your tuppper ware should shoot them fine.

Welcome to the dark side and nothing is more fun than an open gun in a steel match. :devil:

For Minor power factor loads, fewer ports is generally more efficient. For the comp to actually perform any work, it has to get a good flow of gases into it and out of it. If the ports are too big, that smaller volume of gases won't have much velocity coming out of the ports and won't work well. If the ports are smaller, but too numerous, the last few ports won't do anything.

Get some 95gr Zeros and throw about 6gr of HS6 behind them, if that don't get it add another grain or two of powder.

You mean another tenth or two right?

That is plenty of comp for minor PF. I have a couple friends who just run hybrid barrels with no comp for their SC guns and are stunningly flat and soft to shoot. Bigger is not always better with comps.

im trying to get it to shoot as flat as possible...would i benefit from a larger comp with a higher grain to obtain that?

No. Not really. The comp really comes into play when you are pushing for major velocities. In minor or loads designed for steel, getting the load as soft & flat as possible will happen all on its own.

My current open gun is a Glock 17 and it has no comp, just a ported barrel. At 125 - 135 pf, it is plenty flat.

im trying to get it to shoot as flat as possible...would i benefit from a larger comp with a higher grain to obtain that?

No. Not really. The comp really comes into play when you are pushing for major velocities. In minor or loads designed for steel, getting the load as soft & flat as possible will happen all on its own.

My current open gun is a Glock 17 and it has no comp, just a ported barrel. At 125 - 135 pf, it is plenty flat.

Ok good info. I guess i need to play with different loads.

wow, shows how new i am....I assumed lower powder made less recoil. I didnt think such a powerful load could produce good results with a compensator. I havent shot my 17 yet since im still waiting for it and just assembling a parts list in my head of what I would like to get. It sounds like I wont need to change the comp.

wow, shows how new i am....I assumed lower powder made less recoil. I didnt think such a powerful load could produce good results with a compensator. I havent shot my 17 yet since im still waiting for it and just assembling a parts list in my head of what I would like to get. It sounds like I wont need to change the comp.

lower powder does mean less recoil. however, compensators love gas. the key is to use a gunpowder that uses more gunpowder (weight) for the same velocity. more gunpowder weight = more gas = more force diverted through the ports to reduce recoil (muzzle climb). that's why slow gunpowders are preferred for use in compensated pistols. they require more weight to produce the same velocity as fast gunpowders.

FWIW, Autocomp steel loads are one of the very very few 'bad' loads in my Super. They throw a poor group and every so often one way out of it. I was sure my barrel had finally burnt out when I tried to sight some in. Lucky I had some Titegroup loads with everything else the same around to return me to sanity. AC worked great in my Modified .40 though. Go figure.

The reason slow powders are used to make Major in open guns is they can't make major safely with fast powders. Because of that, comps are designed to work with the slow powders. There's not any real reason you couldn't comp a fast-powdered load if you could get a safe one. You would want a different comp design.

The reason slow powders are used to make Major in open guns is they can't make major safely with fast powders. Because of that, comps are designed to work with the slow powders. There's not any real reason you couldn't comp a fast-powdered load if you could get a safe one. You would want a different comp design.

what design changes would be appropriate for use with fast gunpowders? more ports maybe?

Edited by superdude

I don't know the first thing about computational fluid dynamics, but if I were to guess I would say fast powder loads would need a comp with smaller ports, and probably fewer.

Less powder = less gas, so I'd think you want smaller ports to create a more powerful pulse of upwards gas to act upon your muzzle.

Its like putting your finger in front of a slow running hose of water. the more you constrict it, the more velocity the water escaping has due to the pressure build up

And fewer ports because by the time you have reached the second or third port, all usable gas has pretty much gone out the earlier ports.

Again, just my guess. Someone will be along to agree or tear my theory up.

Edited by sarpau