Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2004 USPSA Pistol Nationals

I'll tag onto Shred's idea of highlights and lowlights:

Highlights:

Being in a squad full of forum members is a lot like being on forum --- except better because you can see facial expressions and there are guns going off.

Listening to the ROs making fun of Kyle and Steve racing each other in the dry-fire area before our first stage. Those two really brought their game, they were dryfiring the standards strings in the dry-fire area this morning ---- with a timer going off set to a 4.7 second par time.

Erik's a little too hard on himself with this "second rate" qualifier before his M card; he's up to at least "first-and-a-half" status.

Anderson throwing a no-shoot mike on the first stage, and then leaning back around a wall to make it up strong hand only.

Shooting our first stage well enough that Anderson labeled me the squad's most precise shooter.

Stage construction and match staff. Props are solid and overbuilt --- they're Nik tested and approved. The staff has been nothing but friendly and helpful --- even when they were disagreeing with us about re-shoots and procedurals.

Lowlights:

Coming back to the truck in the range parking lot Sunday evening and discovering the right quarterglass broken. Highlight within: The helpful loan of a roll of duct tape from forum members Hoser and Dminor, which allowed me to limp into Quincy. Discovering that glass places will come to the hotel to repair the window.

Trying --- and therefore failing to live up to the "most precise" label.

The dreaded low port and prone stage --- I could only see the C and D zones on most targets, and was slow to boot. 34 points in 37 seconds doesn't equate to a good run.....

More to come....

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Highlights:

Being in a squad full of forum members is a lot like being on forum --- except better because you can see facial expressions and there are guns going off.

Friday's get together will be interesting since it seems every other person I run into here is a forum member. I'm interested in seeing how many name tags come out on the day.

I can truthfully say that I'll never look at some avatars in the same way again :-).

Kevin

Squad 35 - with many BE'rs are getting the job done. No major blunders so far...I think everyone on the squad has encountered a mike or no shoot with the exception of maybe a couple of shooters. We are all enjoying one anothers company and the match (so far) has been good. The half day format is working well. Heard rumors that JJ, Eric G., and Max are battling for hoa.

There's no value reading interim results, because it depends on who has shot what stages.

For example, the guy currently leading the pack in Open Division is a C grader, and he is shown as currently beating Eric Grauffel, Max Michel & JJ Racaza, and in Revolver Division, a B grader is shown as beating Jerry Miculek.

For those who are interested, here is a breakdown of Divisional support:

Open:........... 211 competitors (43%)

Limited:........ 158 competitors (32%)

Limited 10:.... 43 competitors (9%)

Production:.... 59 competitors (12%)

Revolver:....... 17 competitors (4%)

Total:............ 488 competitors.

There also seems to be a number of "no shows" - Open 26, Limited 15, Production 2, Revolver 1.

I also find it interesting that there are more competitors in the relatively new Production Division than the well established Limited 10 Division.

L10 and Production were established at the same time, weren't they?

Subject to correction by a USPSA BOD member, I believe L10 was established soon after (and in response to) the "Assault Weapons Bill" in 1994.

Production Division was only approved at the General Assembly in Cebu in 1999 and did not actually start until Y2K.

There's no value reading interim results

must disagree. You can compare how people are doing relatively that shot the same stages. I find it quite exciting to see JJ and Max lead Eric (!), Rob lead Phil, and David ahead of his competition.

Damn I couldn't go (ultimately Ivan's fault, the storm, not the forum member...)!

--Detlef

L10 and Production were established at the same time, weren't they?

Subject to correction by a USPSA BOD member, I believe L10 was established soon after (and in response to) the "Assault Weapons Bill" in 1994.

Production Division was only approved at the General Assembly in Cebu in 1999 and did not actually start until Y2K.

L-10 and Production were established at the same time. I know this because when I first started to shoot USPSA I shot my single stack in Limited, and was happy to see the L-10 division come into being in 2000.

You guys are absolutely correct when it comes to seeing the placings of the top match contenders in the same squad, but there are competitors in other squads who are also top match contenders.

Anyway each to his own but, for me, the show's not over 'till the fat lady sings ;)

Yup, our own SmittyFL is not on the Lim ss, but is a strong GM and is out in front in the interim standing.

Make them chase you down Shannon!!! Run like hell!!!

Hell if ANY interim standings showed ME(?) atop the Nationals scoreboard, I'd tell EVERYBODY and print copies to hang on the frdige.

There are some privacy issues associated with posting results of the big matches in public places too, which is why USPSA moved match results to the members' area.

That's why I post club match results publically ... because everyone knows I'm going to do it and could complain if they wanted, but I wouldn't do it with the Indiana Section Match.

Someone call my name? B)

The "blue book" (1995) did not have Limited-10 in it, nor did either of its updates (1996 and 1998). The only divisions were Open, Standard and Modified (IPSC), Open and Limited (US).

In 2000, with the US publication of the "toilet-paper" rulebook, both Production and Limited-10 came into being, and Revolver was "promoted" from a category to a division.

Interestingly, as early as 1996, the USPSA Board considered making Limited a 10-round-only division, but the motion failed, and no action was taken until the 2000 rulebook came out.

Bruce

In 2000, with the US publication of the "toilet-paper" rulebook, both Production and Limited-10 came into being, and Revolver was "promoted" from a category to a division.

I stand corrected, and I'm glad I didn't put any money on when L10 was introduced :wacko:

The stats crew are not processing the entire squad score-sheets at the same time. They are driving round the range and picking up whatever score-sheets are completed. It is possible therefore that some of the interim results do not contain every member of the super-squad.

So I would take these interim results with a pinch of salt...

It rained big-time this afternoon, we had a few little showers this morning but around 11am it started to rain heavily and was still raining when I left at 1pm.

Tonight is the USPSA annual meeting, it runs from 7pm-8pm, it should be interesting...

There is thunder and lightening outside the hotel right now (4:45pm)... No idea what it is doing at Barry (abotu 30 miles away)

Looks like Steve Broom is winning Lim-10

Manny is winning limited with TGO 1 pt behind

JJ is winning open, followed by Max followed by Eric

Dave is winning Production with Angus following

Julie looks to be winning production in womens class

That's all I can remember. This assumes the above individuals have shot the same courses of fire (in other words their in the same squads)

Hope this helps

JB

No worries detlef -

Just thought those who didn't have access would be interested in where things were at.

If watching the race were no fun, they'd never televise football games, they'd just give the results. Part of the drama (to me) is seeing things unfold.

JB