Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Cool shooting hats

DarthMuffin

So I have a collection of various sponsors' hats and without fail they're all a nice heavy material and usually in tactical black.

Does anyone make one suitable for hot weather? Ideally I'd like one light colored (white, but tan will do), as vented as possible without letting too much sun in, made out of a thin wicking fabric, and compatible with standard earmuffs.

All the ones I've found are either for women's running/tennis, or incompatible with earmuffs (some desert/fishing/outdoorsy hats).

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

XS Sights gave away caps at a past Area 1 that were a nice light beige or tan color. Unfortunately, it's made of canvas/denim and doesn't have any of the plastic netting for extra ventilation.

Edited by Skydiver

The visor idea won't work, I'd just burn up top where it's, uh, thin.

I saw the columbia ones at a store locally, but they're still pretty dark. Didn't think they'd be much of an improvement. In my experience a lighter color makes MUCH more of a difference than anything else when standing in the sun all day.

The Vortex one is getting there -- but looks suspiciously like a mesh trucker's cap :blink:

I like the looks of the Rudy Project ones, I may have to try them. I have a runner's cap that's pretty close to what I want but the brim dips too much and blocks the sights (apparently runners don't need to see more than 50 feet in front of them?).

Maybe this is my million dollar idea -- just need someone to manufacture them ;)

I like the looks of the Rudy Project ones, I may have to try them.

I just got this Rudy hat. Unfortunately the image is a rendering and not a picture, but you'll get the idea.

I believe it was designed for runners/triathletes. It is white with a ventilated mesh top, has a decent but not oversized brim and velcro closure and is very light weight.

I wear one of the Rudy lightweight hats. It's black and stays cool in the sun. Be careful - the ultralight version is mesh on top - you can burn your dome if you have short/no hair on top.

I've worn my nylon beige Columbus Cup cap so many times it's hard to tell what color it was originally, but it's the best combination of non-insulating and decent looking I've run across. I also have a white Sunnto synthetic cap I got from Pro-Am that breathes and wicks even better, but doesn't fit my huge noggin that well.

I just picked up an Arc'teryx Baller Ass Cap. Only used it for one match so far, but when the temp went up the mesh back half was very nice to have.

215 Gear has an option that is cheaper by $5 but the same concept. I haven't bought one since I got a free tan Safariland when I ordered some stuff from them. They use a pretty thin cotton. Not UA thin but good enough for Iowa. I used to have an awesome Carhartt one that had nylon mesh instead of the harder poly mesh you see in truckers caps. The new Carhartt trucker caps aren't to bad for the price.

I just picked up an Arc'teryx Baller Ass Cap. Only used it for one match so far, but when the temp went up the mesh back half was very nice to have.

215 Gear has an option that is cheaper by $5 but the same concept. I haven't bought one since I got a free tan Safariland when I ordered some stuff from them. They use a pretty thin cotton. Not UA thin but good enough for Iowa. I used to have an awesome Carhartt one that had nylon mesh instead of the harder poly mesh you see in truckers caps. The new Carhartt trucker caps aren't to bad for the price.

Dig the Carhartt, thanks for that!

Doodies unite! I love my BAC. Best thing is it comes in L/XL to fit my huge ass melon.

Edited by DonovanM