Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

My accuracy sucks

Holy crap, I didn't realize I was this bad...

So I've been a little rushed to get things in order for my first match, which is tomorrow morning. Bought a new gun, sights, belt, holster, pouches, etc. so I can dive right into the sport of USPSA. Went to load up my first 9mm rounds last night on my Dillon 650 only to realize, I forgot I don't have a 9mm conversion kit for it (but I seem to have everything else imaginable...). So, 100rd. later on a single stage ( :angry2: ), and I've got some ammo to try out. I take it out to the local outdoor range and run some over the chrono; 1230fps. Yikes. I'll have to tone that back a touch for the match ammo, but obviously won't have time to test it. Anyways, I start running through the ammo that I brought to see where I stand and I make the quick realization that I can't hit a damn thing. I mean, to the point that it's pretty embarrassing. For starters, I think I'm jerking the trigger, causing the rounds to pull left. I also benched the gun to see how it hit at ~25yd. and it appears dead on in elevation, but again, seems to be hitting about 6" left at that distance. I tried running through the plate rack at about 15yd. to see how I do, and it was nothing short of terrible. I'm talking 30rd. to take down 6 plates.... :( I found that I did better if I aimed at the top of the plate, but even still, I sucked at it.

Any tips to improve on accuracy before I go and completely embarrass myself? I'm thinking about skipping the match tomorrow and hitting up the range next week to 1. Figure out exactly where my gun is hitting, 2. Get my sights set where they need to be, and 3. practice.

I'd try to at least get your gun sighted in before you shoot a match. There's nothing more frustrating than having a gun that doesn't hit where you're aiming, and knowing it's not is a real confidence killer too.

Glock?

They all need to have the rear sight drifted to shoot point of aim. So thats first. Also, try aiming at a specific spot on each target, not just the "plate" or "target" - something like a piece of tape or a splatter mark, a specific point, or center of A Zone.

Also, while Glocks are very accurate pistols, they tend to magnify any trigger control problems you may be having (jerking, etc). It takes a lot of dry fire, holding the gun perfectly steady through the trigger pull without disturbing the sight picture. I mean, thousands and thousands of dry fires. Not even talking about actual live fire.

For your first match - have patience. See a perfect sight picture for each shot, break the shot without disturbing the sight picture, 1 shot at a time. At your own comfortable pace. It will feel "slow".... and maybe it will be comapared to others. But it is where you need to start. Patience. Don't try to "go fast" or "keep up"... ignore everyone's times. Just see what you need to see each shot to get A's. The rest will come.

It'll get better, just keep at it! Have fun!

Edited by sfinney

If your getting decent groups, they are just not bullseye, its not your ammo, its your technique and grip. Shoot from a rest on a big peice of cardboard at 20 yards with a 3 inch dot drawn in the center...see where you are grouping. take your time and see if your sites need to be adjusted. If the groups are tight, dont mess with your ammo.

Do not skip the match because of this.

Go. Do your best. Enlist some others to try the pistol/ammo combo and see if they have the same result.

There's a lot of quality assistance available at a USPSA match; the sort that some people have to pay a lot of money to receive. Go...

Do not skip the match because of this.

Go. Do your best. Enlist some others to try the pistol/ammo combo and see if they have the same result.

There's a lot of quality assistance available at a USPSA match; the sort that some people have to pay a lot of money to receive. Go...

The wisdom of the above is absolute.

Sounds familiar. When I started my trigger control was so poor I had to buy a bore sight to zero my gun. Point of impact can still vary from point of aim but at least I was close. As for the ammo troubles...shoot factory until your handloads are dialed in. I packed factory in the car, just in case, for 6 or 8 matches until I was confident in the accuracy and function of my loads.

25 yards? Start at 6 (or 3), shoot groups and work your way out.

Yes it is important to bag your gun but work but even bagged you have to have correct fundamentals. Shooting groups at close distance builds fundamentals and CONFIDENCE. You can work your way out from there.

Do try some different ammo. Don't expect accuracy you read about on the internet and don't expect the same accuracy that some guys are getting with a $$$$$$ custom gun. I admit I have one of those custom guns, and there are guys that can shoot a lot better groups with my gun than I can shoot with my gun.

Jessie Harrison-Abbate-Harrison-Duff was on TV on time and she said when they go to practice, they always started by shooting groups. Several other big time shooters will tell you the same thing.

Good luck, have fun and don't get discouraged.

WG

Pay close attention to where your trigger finger hits the trigger. If you trigger finger touches the gun anywhere other than the trigger you will be pushing the gun to the left when you pull the trigger (assuming you are right handed). There should be space between your finger and the side of the gun. It is a common error that is magnified by distance.

Jessie Harrison-Abbate-Harrison-Duff was on TV on time and she said when they go to practice, they always started by shooting groups. Several other big time shooters will tell you the same thing.

WG

I heard TGO say that in an interview. "I start and end all of my practice sessions shooting a slow group"

Glock?

They all need to have the rear sight drifted to shoot point of aim. So thats first. Also, try aiming at a specific spot on each target, not just the "plate" or "target" - something like a piece of tape or a splatter mark, a specific point, or center of A Zone.

Curious about how much sight drifting is common on Glocks... I've always centered my rear sight on the slide, but I have a problem shooting a bit to the left...

Glock?

Curious about how much sight drifting is common on Glocks... I've always centered my rear sight on the slide, but I have a problem shooting a bit to the left...

That would very per shooter. Everyones eyes and trigger pull are different. Move it until you are hitting dead on.

I hate to admit it, but I skipped the match. I just felt too rushed to get everything in order beforehand. I ordered the conversion kit for my dillon so I can crank out some ammo with efficiency. It also gives me time this week to hit up the range to make sure my sights are where they should be and to get more than 100rd. through the gun before diving into a match. No worries though, there are 3 different matches this coming weekend to choose from. Thanks for the advice though, guys.

Lots of dry fire. looking in the mirror so you can see all of your trigger finger working . And relax and have fun, I shoot crappy every time i get nervous so just have fun

Second range trip today. I didn't shoot for groups, but wanted to give shooting with both eyes open a chance given it seemed to work out great during dry fire. The result = muuuuuuch better. It's amazing how much easier it is to shoot accurately when your eyes aren't so strained. I'm almost amazed that I was able to pick this up so easily given the fact that I've read some shooters have a really difficult time with it. I wouldn't consider myself to be 'fast' by any means, but I wasn't having too much trouble at all hitting an 8" plate @ ~30yd., if I slowed down and took my time with it. I found that if I didn't rush myself, I didn't jerk the trigger; imagine that...

BTW, I have always heard, "Front sight, front sight, front sight" when it came to aiming, however, I found myself focusing more on the target and having the front/rear sight somewhat blurry. I didn't really try to focus on the target, it just sort of happened that way. Is this uncommon?

Anyways, onto more dry fire as it seemed to really help from one short and simple session.

BTW, I have always heard, "Front sight, front sight, front sight" when it came to aiming, however, I found myself focusing more on the target and having the front/rear sight somewhat blurry. I didn't really try to focus on the target, it just sort of happened that way. Is this uncommon?

You will never be able to shoot groups if you don't focus on the front sight, just patterns. When you are shooting groups, do not just focus on the front sight, focus on the top serration of the front sight. You will be amazed at your accuracy improvement.

Rear sights on glocks don't need drifted. That's a common fix to compensate for a bad trigger pull on a Glock. The real fix for this phenomenon is trigger time on a Glock platform.

You can drift it if you want though. Over time, as you get use to the trigger, you'll be drifting it back towards the center.

Or, you can work on grip and a good straight back trigger pull. Lots of drills for this.

Edited by Chris iliff

Rear sights on glocks don't need drifted. That's a common fix to compensate for a bad trigger pull on a Glock. The real fix for this phenomenon is trigger time on a Glock platform.

You can drift it if you want though. Over time, as you get use to the trigger, you'll be drifting it back towards the center.

Or, you can work on grip and a good straight back trigger pull. Lots of drills for this.

I'll second this. I drifted one of my 19's rear sights but haven't drifted any of my other guns. I find with that gun I'm not compensating as I haven't returned it to the center.

Once you get more comfortable with the glock trigger you'll have no problems with the sights.

Here's what I did to master the glock trigger. Balance a penny on top of the front sight and learn to pull the trigger without having the penny fall. That will give you smoothness.

The other thing I do is when dry firing stare at the top of the front sight as you break the trigger. Your sight picture should not change at all if you are practicing correct trigger technique. Be honest with yourself. There's always the temptation to call it "good enough" sight alignment but keep at it even if you have to move glacially. You'll get faster and faster doing this and will have the confidence that every time you pull the trigger your shots will be exactly where you wanted them.

Accuracy first. Speed comes with time. Don't fall into the misconception that since you are timed you need to go at warp speed. As long as you do all of your gun manipulations smoothly and without forcing them you will watch your speed improve considerably in a short amount of time.