Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How Good are LaRue QD mounts?

Outbreak

I have two, LaRue's. One with an Aimpoint and one for my Nikon. I never noticed a shift with the Aimpoint, but with a 4MOA dot, I'm not gonna notice a 1MOA shift. It's on my .300BLK SBR now, so it's a short range application anyway.

I noticed the problem on my 3G rifle with the Nikon. Part of it may be that I did a real quick zero with cheap ammo, then changed cheap ammo. This last time I did a real zero with Hornady Steel Match, and it's a 1MOA gun again. I have a few weeks before the next match, so I think I'll remove and replace then go check zero again with the good ammo.

Removing the upper for storage is an interesting idea, too. I never really thought about that. I'll see if I can make the puzzle pieces fit that way.

I have two, LaRue's. One with an Aimpoint and one for my Nikon. I never noticed a shift with the Aimpoint, but with a 4MOA dot, I'm not gonna notice a 1MOA shift. It's on my .300BLK SBR now, so it's a short range application anyway.

I noticed the problem on my 3G rifle with the Nikon. Part of it may be that I did a real quick zero with cheap ammo, then changed cheap ammo. This last time I did a real zero with Hornady Steel Match, and it's a 1MOA gun again. I have a few weeks before the next match, so I think I'll remove and replace then go check zero again with the good ammo.

Removing the upper for storage is an interesting idea, too. I never really thought about that. I'll see if I can make the puzzle pieces fit that way.

You can't check if a mount is at fault without even using the same ammo. I don't care what mount you have all ammo can change the groups. If you didn't use the same ammo you don't even have a real complaint.

I saw nothing with the Bobro mount that he got that I don't get with Larue mounts when I have taken them off and on testing different optics on the same gun. For the record Lowlight at Snipershide can be a complete jerk as well. I guess we are all human. Mark supports the sport, the troups and cops.

Pat

What the video on the Bobro didn't show was the tedious ring screw installation. Tightening the screws down for the rings while not disturbing the scope and having clearance to do so around the receiver is a PITA.

I saw nothing with the Bobro mount that he got that I don't get with Larue mounts when I have taken them off and on testing different optics on the same gun. For the record Lowlight at Snipershide can be a complete jerk as well. I guess we are all human. Mark supports the sport, the troups and cops.

Pat

What the video on the Bobro didn't show was the tedious ring screw installation. Tightening the screws down for the rings while not disturbing the scope and having clearance to do so around the receiver is a PITA.

I have never tried Bobro thanks for the warning. I have tried ADM and its ok but prefer Larue. Larue mounts simple work and that is why so many people use them from competition shooters, to the military to LEO's.

Pat

Larue's have performed flawlessly for me as well. I remove my optics all the time for cleaning and during transport at times.

I will continue to run Mark's products, some of the BEST IMO.

I have seen people say the same about Counter Sniper scopes. They purchased crap and now they own it so they feel they have to be dishonest with themselves. Just saying at the end of the day even if 30% of his mounts did not work which I have seen when tested right 99.9% not work. But even if only 30% didn't his numbers for bad mounts would be to high.

Larue's have performed flawlessly for me as well. I remove my optics all the time for cleaning and during transport at times.

I have seen people say the same about Counter Sniper scopes. They purchased crap and now they own it so they feel they have to be dishonest with themselves. Just saying at the end of the day even if 30% of his mounts did not work which I have seen when tested right 99.9% not work. But even if only 30% didn't his numbers for bad mounts would be to high.

You're not thinking clearly if you're comparing Larue mounts to Counter Sniper Scopes. Its obvious you have a huge axe to grind and you have no problem resorting to slander against one of the bigger supports of the sport and also one of the best optic mount makers out there.

Pat

Edited by Alaskapopo

You're not thinking clearly if you're comparing Larue mounts to Counter Sniper Scopes. Its obvious you have a huge axe to grind and you have no problem resorting to slander against one of the bigger supports of the sport and also one of the best optic mount makers out there.

Pat

You have never owned anything other than Larue based on your comments that have been made previously so I don't think you are even at a point to judge. I have used just about all of them, tested them all the same and larue was at the bottom. The Burris QD mount is on par but at half the cost. Keep up supporting them, but don't pretend your crap does not stink because it wears a lapoop, it went from the crapper to pure septic.

Pat

You have never owned anything other than Larue based on your comments that have been made previously so I don't think you are even at a point to judge. I have used just about all of them, tested them all the same and larue was at the bottom. The Burris QD mount is on par but at half the cost. Keep up supporting them, but don't pretend your crap does not stink because it wears a lapoop, it went from the crapper to pure septic.

Actually your wrong and if you read my comments you would know I mentioned the ADM mount I currently own as well. (mentioned several times in fact) Again your chip on your shoulder is obvious. You have made general claims but given no support for your arguments no facts. Just some hurt feelings regarding Mark and the owner of Snipershide. Who gives a crap. Larue makes good mounts as many on here besides me have testified from personal experience. Let me guess you write fiction because that is what your comments regarding Larue are. Anyway I am done with you. To the OP just do a searh on this forum and several others with the key word Larue and you will see for yourself there are a lot more fans than detractors.

Pat

Edited by Alaskapopo

• 4 months later...

Pat

LaRue mounts are popular in 3 gun because they work. A lot of top shooters that don't even know (or care) who you are use them because they work. They don't care what you've "tested" or "seen tested". Who are you anyway? Your name hasn't shown up on any matches I've been to. You're just another Frank worshipper that types more than he shoots. Tell ya what chief. I'll keep using what works. When you and Frank actually show up at a 3G match and beat some of these people using LaRue stuff, your opinion might mean something. Most of the people on this forum actually shoot and go to real competitions. I realize that's probably a novel concept for you, but it's the primary reason nobody here values your opinion. By the way, I didn't pay for a single piece of LaRue gear. It was all free from prize tables because of Mark LaRue supporting the sport. Mark supports, shooters respond in kind. You talk, nobody listens. Not here anyway. Maybe you should go back to the hide, poserville, or whatever it's called. You're probably important there.

Ive owned ARMS, ADM, GG&G, and LaRue mounts. Ive personally had 2 ARMS mounts break on me. The one ADM mount I had broke as well. The GG&G mount was nice but couldn't hold a zero after removed. The groups would always be high but tight. I now use LaRue mounts only as they are the only mounts that I've found to actually hold a zero when removed.

I have mounts from Bobro, ARMS, Larue, and ADM and they are all solid mounts. I gravitate to the Larue and Bobro for my rifles. I live in Texas so I am a fan of Larue, Shiner Bock, Tito's Vodka, and SVI so my opinion may be biased. I have 2 Larue mounts that came from prize table offerings that Mark gave to the match, so like Odie, I will not bash him or his company. There must be a solid fan base with people paying $50 for a dillo from a match they didn't even attend.

i've only had a SPR-E vfz mount with a leupold 1.25-4 for the last 3 years. the only time it has not return to close zero was when i first got it and had not read the instructions, but recently i built another 16" top and when i went zero the set up it had shifted 3 clicks to the left at 189 yards up and down were still set, so yeah never expect ANY QD mount to return to perfect zero, also all my interaction with the folks at larue has been outstanding. haveing grown up in a similar buisness environ i got to meet people who thought my father was a complete ass, and i've also met even more people that had a genuine respect for him, so just because 4-5 people actively bash someone does not automatically make their product garbage. as Col.PaPa said opinions are like assholes everyones got one some just stink more than others and are also louder

Pat

I have never tried Bobro thanks for the warning. I have tried ADM and its ok but prefer Larue. Larue mounts simple work and that is why so many people use them from competition shooters, to the military to LEO's.

Pat

#1 why would anyone take the sight off.

#2 i am using my work gear with some mods. shoot for the fun of it. everything i OWN is an o.t.d. piece of gear not a game gun.

#3 being work gear i NEVER EVER take the sights off.

#4 match shooters are probably different but military is 4 m.o.s. not 1 moa never take off either.

i know that for a fact. taught 1163 govt and military shooters in last 13 months. when they show up we ask among other things,"had ur sight off lately ??". less than 1/2% ever raies their hand.

i use Larue have never found them lacking. dont know stangeway or Alaska Po but read A/Po's posts and 99.9%, are tactically correct. would want him behind me in a dark alley. the other guy not so much. the other guy seems to be a hard on gamer. no i dont know Larue. yes i am a TEXAN. yes i want to get home from each job so i use the best.

2 different concepts. 2 different mind sets.

f.y.i any 1 who takes anything/ granted off a gun board is brain dead. per T.D.L. know as Ken Hackathorn.

jjw

Edited by jjw

If you take your optics off then re-zero; doesn't matter if it's real world or a match. Do you really want to go hot wondering if it's on? Doesn't matter who makes your mount; check, re-check, and then check again. That eliminates one more variable.

Want your kit ot work? Then set it and your self up for sucess by wringing it out on the training range, that way you will know what will work and what will not.

Mark Larue is not out there on your training range; his kit will either stand by it's meirts or it won't. YOU be the judge of what works or not.

The proof is what works regardless of who or what company made it, doesn't matter whether is's Baghdad, Bagram, or Brownsville, TN.

I have bought a bunch of stuff for 3 gun from a bunch of companies but at the end of the day I use what works for me. You don't like Laure then don't buy it and use some one elses kit.

I look at the guys that are making their house payment as professional shooters and what they use; if it works for them it will most likely work for me if I will dedicate the amount of effort that they do.

Tested a new Colt 9mm AR today. Zeroed the Aimpoint Micro in the Larue mount.

Took the sight off then confirmed zero with the supplied MBUS rear sight.

Put the sight back on. No loss of zero.

Not a scientific test, but no problems in this case...

Mick