Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How Good are LaRue QD mounts?

Outbreak

I have a Nikon M223 in a LaRue SPR-M4 mount on my AR. As I'm sure many of you can sympathize, my safe is a jigsaw puzzle, and the spot that rifle fits in won't accomodate the scope. I picked the LaRue mount for that very reason.

The locking LaRue Speed Levers provide outstanding return to zero; the optic can be removed, and replaced, without loss of zero. Guaranteed.

The reason I ask is that I've had this setup for almost a year. I don't have much experience and zero training with rifle shooting, so I figured I just sucked at shooting, and thus sucked at zeroing. I proved that idea wrong zeroing last week, and shot really well (for me) today. The only difference I can see is the rifle never made it back into the safe between zero and match, so the scope never came off between zero and match.

So is LaRue's Guarantee of "outstanding return to zero" really true? Am I hosing myself just QD'ing my scope?

Edited by Outbreak

Mine have held a fantastic zero when taking them off in cleaning and putting them right back on but every time I go to the range I'll still shoot a 3 round test to make sure it is still perfect. Make sure you have the throw levers tightened enough and push the mount forward as you put it on to keep it secure against the rail.

CM

I have a Nikon M223 in a LaRue SPR-M4 mount on my AR. As I'm sure many of you can sympathize, my safe is a jigsaw puzzle, and the spot that rifle fits in won't accomodate the scope. I picked the LaRue mount for that very reason.

The locking LaRue Speed Levers provide outstanding return to zero; the optic can be removed, and replaced, without loss of zero. Guaranteed.

The reason I ask is that I've had this setup for almost a year. I don't have much experience and zero training with rifle shooting, so I figured I just sucked at shooting, and thus sucked at zeroing. I proved that idea wrong zeroing last week, and shot really well (for me) today. The only difference I can see is the rifle never made it back into the safe between zero and match, so the scope never came off between zero and match.

So is LaRue's Guarantee of "outstanding return to zero" really true? Am I hosing myself just QD'ing my scope?

Mine have always returned to zero. I take them off and swap optics often. Are you putting the scope back in the same rail notch. I mark mine. It has to go back in the same slot. Also do you have your throw levers adjusted properly which is tight.

Pat

Larue's mounts do not always hold zero. Their setup is flawed and in need of an upgrade. The other brands out there have been doing the work on finding what works and what does not. I have tested Larue and while they are a well built mount they do not hold zero, expect an average of half moa to 1 moa shift. The GG&G is about the same and the ADM is better but I have even had some ADMs that did not hold perfect while others did. The Bobro is a great choice and does return everytime. GDI is the best QD mount but it is about twice the cost of those mentioned. I would go BOBRO if they have the mount you need. Larue is over rated and has a cult following regardless of how bad his gear can be.

Larue's mounts do not always hold zero. Their setup is flawed and in need of an upgrade. The other brands out there have been doing the work on finding what works and what does not. I have tested Larue and while they are a well built mount they do not hold zero, expect an average of half moa to 1 moa shift. The GG&G is about the same and the ADM is better but I have even had some ADMs that did not hold perfect while others did. The Bobro is a great choice and does return everytime. GDI is the best QD mount but it is about twice the cost of those mentioned. I would go BOBRO if they have the mount you need. Larue is over rated and has a cult following regardless of how bad his gear can be.

Well my experience in owning Larue mounts for several years is they do hold zero. I have owned more than a dozen different Larue mounts with no issues. Several on this fourm I am sure also share this experience. ADM mount is ok but is either too lose or super tight with no just right. Larue is king of QD mounts. End of story.

Also you accuse many of being cult followers of Larue. Larue has a fan base because his products work. Just an observation but you have an obvious chip on your shoulder regarding Larue that is quite evident every time you post on the topic.

Pat

Edited by Alaskapopo

Whoa! Didn't mean to start a fight. I'm not a LaRue cult guy (I have an AAC mount and can on that same rifle; I've been told that is a faux pas), but I haven't found a product of theirs that I didn't like (I have two mounts and a handfull of Dillos. The Dillo Dust is pretty good, too), and they sure as hell know how to run a range day.

What I'm taking from this is some will hold zero perfectly, and others won't. No big deal. I gotta experiment with mine a bit, because I've definitely induced some error, myself.

I'll tighten up the throw levers, and try to re-organize my safe puzzle so I Don't have to pull the scope on this rifle. That can be a project for tomorrow.

Whoa! Didn't mean to start a fight. I'm not a LaRue cult guy (I have an AAC mount and can on that same rifle; I've been told that is a faux pas), but I haven't found a product of theirs that I didn't like (I have two mounts and a handfull of Dillos. The Dillo Dust is pretty good, too), and they sure as hell know how to run a range day.

What I'm taking from this is some will hold zero perfectly, and others won't. No big deal. I gotta experiment with mine a bit, because I've definitely induced some error, myself.

I'll tighten up the throw levers, and try to re-organize my safe puzzle so I Don't have to pull the scope on this rifle. That can be a project for tomorrow.

You did not start a fight. Strangedays has some bad blood with Mark Larue for some reason not sure. But every time he can he bashes Larue products. I have tried Larue products with everythine from Eotech, all sorts of Aimpoints and variable power scopes on all kinds of AR's and on a SCAR and the results have been the same. Consistent return to zero. I even had a 5.5-22 Nightforce (huge scope) in a Larue mount on a GAP AR10 and the mount always returned to zero. You do have to follow the directions as far as how tight the mounts need to be. People often have them too loose. I guess I will have to do a range report with me removing and replacing my optics in Larue mounts and shooting a group and repeating the process. I have done this before but not with the intent of testing the mount. I was testing various optics on the same rifle and had to remove and re install them several times. The optics were a Eotech, TR21 and a Iron Dot (fast fire in a tall larue mount). I had no zero shift after replacing the optics 5 times for each one while I shot my drills.

Pat

Edited by Alaskapopo

I am with Pat on this one. In my experience, and as it applies to free hand running and gunning, the LaRue has done very well. To split hairs, It is a context issue too. A bench rest shooter would throw up in his mouth at the thought of this being done to one of his guns. In this game (and for Gov't work) the LaRue does what it says.

One man's opinion.

:cheers:

When I saw the thread title, wondered how long till strangedays posted on it. Larue, ADM, Bobro all work well for 3 gun. We have to keep the purpose in perspective. 3 gun is not Camp Perry. If you want a 1000 yd. shooter, you wouldn't want a QD mount. For our game they are great.

You did not start a fight. Strangedays has some bad blood with Mark Larue for some reason not sure. But every time he can he bashes Larue products. I have tried Larue products with everythine from Eotech, all sorts of Aimpoints and variable power scopes on all kinds of AR's and on a SCAR and the results have been the same. Consistent return to zero. I even had a 5.5-22 Nightforce (huge scope) in a Larue mount on a GAP AR10 and the mount always returned to zero. You do have to follow the directions as far as how tight the mounts need to be. People often have them too loose. I guess I will have to do a range report with me removing and replacing my optics in Larue mounts and shooting a group and repeating the process. I have done this before but not with the intent of testing the mount. I was testing various optics on the same rifle and had to remove and re install them several times. The optics were a Eotech, TR21 and a Iron Dot (fast fire in a tall larue mount). I had no zero shift after replacing the optics 5 times for each one while I shot my drills.

Pat

Pat- you are obsessive compulsive. Can I come up to Alaska and shoot with you?. Larues are good mounts. For sure.

I would not go to a match without checking my rifle's zero if I'd removed the scope, QD or not.

Yes I use a QD mount, and of course I'd expect to be close, but not close enough to shoot a match.

Maybe I'm just anal, no idea.

Edited by twodownzero

I would not go to a match without checking my rifle's zero if I'd removed the scope, QD or not.

Yes I use a QD mount, and of course I'd expect to be close, but not close enough to shoot a match.

Anyone know why they have such Larue hate on Snipers Hide? I got slammed there for commenting that my friends Larue OBR out shot the GAP AR10 I used to own. Damn even the owner of the forum jumped on me.

Pat

I have several LaRue mounts and have no issues with holding a zero or returning to a zero after removal. Granted I dont yank my scopes on and off that often.

I even have one of his 50 BMG mounts on my Barrett 82. It is holding on to a 2 lb Schmidt & Bender. No issues.

It depends on how you define "returns to zero". On 1 MOA 3-gun rifles, they are fine. BUT, the ones I have do not return to within zero MOA, more like 1/2 MOA. I have one on a precision rifle with a heavy NF scope and it would not hold zero until I tightened the lever down so that it was no longer QD... Not that I need QD anyway.

I think they are within .25moa when you remount. There is not a mount on the market that will hold a perfect zero when you remove and replace it. Buy quality and check you zero. ADM, Larue, Bobro. I also like badger and nightforce rings and bases for bolt guns.

Sounds like it would be worth going for, and finding out if it works for your setup. I've got a Larue QD mount on my shelf that I been wanting to try out, but I need another upper, and optic, and the desire to shoot tac-optics, so I can try it out. :roflol:

Let us know your results. :cheers:

Leave the optic on the rifle and find a different solution for storing the gun in your safe - try inserting it muzzle-down, or detach the upper from the lower. Lots of better solutions than trusting your mount to hold zero when removed multiple times.

Anyone know why they have such Larue hate on Snipers Hide? I got slammed there for commenting that my friends Larue OBR out shot the GAP AR10 I used to own. Damn even the owner of the forum jumped on me.

Pat

Easy to answer, Mark Larue came on snipershide and proved to be nothing more than a simple minded a_-hole. His mounts have issues and the new brands are building better platforms than his and he can't stand it so he comes on and bitches about it. Lowlight the owner of Snipershide did a review of the mount and Mark called his employer and asked he be fired. Like I said Mark is nothing more than an a_-hole. If you guys all want to spend your money on a douche bag and claim it holds zero to the people who test the stuff they shoot (not just look at it) then go ahead. I have have never seen a Lapoop hold zero unless its never been removed. Scars the rail and cost to much for what you get. Check out this review of BOBRO mounts and tell me you didn't get hosed buying your lapoop piece of crap.

I saw nothing with the Bobro mount that he got that I don't get with Larue mounts when I have taken them off and on testing different optics on the same gun. For the record Lowlight at Snipershide can be a complete jerk as well. I guess we are all human. Mark supports the sport, the troups and cops. As for marks on the rail. Are you kidding. These are working guns they are not meant to look pretty. My three gun rifle has plenty of dings and scrapes from matches.

Pat

Edited by Alaskapopo