Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Why Try Limited Or Limited 10?

dart368

I notice a lot of people end up shooting limited 10 or limited or get classified in production and limited. I was introduced to production when I started and was told it is great training for reloads and gun manipulation.

I am shooting a Glock 34 in production using 17 round magazines filled with 10 rounds.

Why do others end up going to limited or limited 10? I can see the reasons why AND the reasons why not to go to Open....no limitations on the modifications, optics, lighter triggers and recoil, etc. but with the guns going into the thousands, I can see why I won't be going to try open.

Can someone give me some reasons I might want to try limited or limited 10? Oh, and why only limited 10 when you can do limited?

I am starting to confuse myself.... :wacko:

I started shooting limited-10 actually. I had a 1911 with chip mccormik 10rd magazines. I don't event think they had production yet. It was just what I had to shoot, and what it fit in.

I have a few Glocks now. In 2010 I shot my Glock 34 limited and production. At the local matches I did limited alot, but I shot the generation 300 that year and there were so many shooters I figured I'd get outgunned by competing against people shooting major power factors, so I shot production unlcassified. I think it put me up against 7 shooters in the whole match, and that was a pretty big match. Had I gone limited unclassified I would have probably been against 27 shooters.

I really don't think it matters what you shoot as long as you shoot and enjoy it. Personally, I realized the only person I'm really competing against is myself. There is nothing like coming back after a year and trying to catch up with your own old scores, lol.

Thats what I was sort of figuring. That it gave some sort of advantage in scoring. I was always under the impression that production was for beginners and limited was for more advanced shooters.

There are plenty of experienced shooters shooting production as well as some new shooters shooting Limited and open. It really depends on just the person and what division they feel like shooting in. Production and SS are usually the cheapest to get into as you can get pretty competative setups for just a few hundred bucks ie glock 17/34, STI spartan etc.

I really don't think it matters what you shoot as long as you shoot and enjoy it. Personally, I realized the only person I'm really competing against is myself. There is nothing like coming back after a year and trying to catch up with your own old scores, lol.

My thoughts also...

I've shot Production for over a year and recently got a deal on XDM 5.25 in 40, so figured Limited would be a nice change of pace.

Can't say if I'll stick with Limited, go back to Production or bounce back and forth between the two. Either way I'm having fun and I get to hang out with my friends.

Thats what I was sort of figuring. That it gave some sort of advantage in scoring. I was always under the impression that production was for beginners and limited was for more advanced shooters.

That was the particular reason for that one particular instance, but don't think that is actually the status quo. In fact alot the production shooters I see were open shooters who wanted more of a challenge.

Personally I don't think production is a good idea for any beginner. Production is probably the hardest division just shy of revolver...

L10 is nice for Single Stackers by switching to 10 rd mags. Or production .40s with stock 12-14 rd mags fit well.

L10 Major is fun after shooting Production for awhile, same mag change plans but nice to pick up those extra points for Cs.

I'm married to one woman. I enjoy shooting different guns. :cheers:

:roflol::roflol:

I'm married and like variety too, though its too dangerous to sleep around so I focus on variety with shooting :roflol: . L10/Limited, Open, and Production once the USPS manages to deliver my damn SIG :angry: .

Limited is like Open; wide open gun and gear rules like Open but with no scope/comp and 140mm mags. I live in Hawaii so its only L10/Open 10 for us here though. I do Limited when I shoot in the big matches in the CONUS. Production is definitely challenging; minor scoring and using essentially stock guns.

Personally I don't think production is a good idea for any beginner. Production is probably the hardest division just shy of revolver...

It may depend some on where you're at. I agree with the sentiment in general - if there are a lot of experienced shooters in a given match, the beginners will have it handed to them. At my local matches, though, most of the experienced shooters shoot Limited or (sometimes) Single Stack. Putting a new shooter who shows up with a Glock 17 and 3 mags in Limited guarantees a low finish. Not that new shooters should expect different, but it can be humbling.

Personally, I recommend that new shooters start out their first 2 or 3 matches playing in Limited (or Limited 10), even if their equipment qualifies them to shoot in Production or Single Stack. This is partly based on the assumption that the new shooter is initially out there to fulfill the need for "more trigger time", and a chance to shoot and move. (I am assuming that not high on the motivation list yet is the minor high we get, when we plan and execute the perfect stage break down, the ultimate reload, or movement through a stage that would bring tears to the eyes of aikido masters and ballet choreographers alike.)

Shooting Limited lets them focus primarily on shooting, moving and reloading safely, and having a nice cushion of extra rounds should they need it. Additionally, it's much easier to get a gun with modifications into Limited versus the more stringent rules of Production (and Single Stack). They get to shoot what they already own. Once they get a feel for the game, and get to see other people in other divisions, they are in a better place to decide their future path. The downside of my steering new shooters this direction is that if they are shooting 9mm, they get scored minor, and that they get smoked by shooters with have maximized the magazine capacities. But as noted above, they are going to get smoked anyway, unless they are the rare protege coming into the sport.

The quality of competition varies regionally for sure. I just started shooting Production, mostly to get more match trigger time ont he M&P I use for 3 gun. I've shot 4 matches and have 3 divisions wins. I shot Limited almost exclusively before and never got a division win. It takes more work to stage plan and I have to ignore what some of the top shooter (in Limited) do becasue it is not the best for 10 round plans.

There are things I like about Limited 10. With a 1911, it allows a more agressive attack of some target arrays since you have a few pick-up shots, as opposed to Single Stack. It is also a place for guns like G29s, G30s and a variety of other 10mm and .45 pistols with 9 to 13 round magazines. But now that there is SS, I doubt I shoot another match in Lim10 unless I am trying out something weird and don't want to screw up a classifier.

Limited, at least where I shoot, has from 3-5 GMs and 3-5 Ms at most matches. It is the deepest pool, and unless one of the 3 top Open GMs shows up (maybe half of the matches), the Limited Division winner is almost always the HOA. Limited is much faster and the most competitve at most matches here.

As for beginners, it does not matter where they start, but Limited minor with a high cap 9mm is probably the best overall in terms of getting them into the sport.

The 1911 and 2011 and some other platforms are single action pistols and cant be shot in production. Production was formed to let the 9mm striker guns play without the disavantage of being scored minor, in production everthing is scored minor so its a non issue there. If you want to come shoot limited or L10 with your production gun come on, but you will be scored minor and that can be a hard hill to get over. As for us guys that like the 1911, 2011 and other single action pistols we play in Single Stack, L10 and Limited, usually with major power factor ammo.------Larry

I spent the past year doing production in IDPA. Then when I started shooting USPSA, Limited just looked fun and very different. Plus, I really wanted to go down the 2011 path.

I could see myself doing production again. But for now, it's Limited in USPSA and ESP in IDPA. They work pretty well together.

With limited you can better concentrate on aspects of the game such as footwork and movement, without doing a reload every time you start to move. I know these things are important to both divisions, but that was what someone told me when I asked that question years ago. I love Limited now, in fact, now that I think about it.....I do not even have a production gun.... I need to get another one I guess. :roflol: ha ha ha.

L10 and Production forces you to make your shots count, have your stage breakdown and reloads down pat which makes for a good foundation when first starting out. Production is definitely challenging with some of the best shooters in the game in that division.

I did a little research and found that on average, Limited had about 12 competitors, L10 had about 6 and Production had about 17 shooters. This is about the average each month. Intestingly enough, most the L10 guys are "C" class with maybe a D, a B or an A in there with the "M" guy usually taking first place.