Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Does Your Load 2 System Require a Glove?

Considering one of the load-two systems, but the shotgun over the shooting shoulder loading technique makes me wonder if my weak hand is going to require a glove. My M2 gets pretty hot right where my hand would be holding the shotgun during reload. Do you guys wear a glove on your non-loading hand?

I did just a bit of training with the over the shoulder loading with my right hand so that I would could do -IF- i had too. I like the Carbon Arms left hand load 2 off the vest. and the load 2 Twins off the belt. I just prefer to have the gun down to load.

So no I dont use a glove

I did some practice like this to be prepared for any long shotgun stages at the Ironman.

With the shotgun over my right shoulder, I "bridged" the barrel between my left hand thumb on one side and the fingers on the other, holding the fore end and not touching the barrel at all. To keep the shotgun steady I would pinch the stock between my cheek and shoulder.

I keep my strong hand grip on the gun, and roll the wrist over so the gun is almost upside down. I drop it down so the butt stock is around elbow level, with the elbow trapping the gun to may waist/kidney level. I then take the shells out with my "weak hand" (left hand) and "pet" them into the loading port. I never truly change the grip of my right hand... It is in almost the exact same position as when shooting, just rolled over at the wrist...

This way, no glove needed!

To give you a better visual, the stock is in the same position as where it would be when I weak hand reload from shell caddies, just upside down...

This has worked very well for me...

Some shooters are more "graceful" then I, when it comes to flipping the shotgun with barrel on support hand, by using a bridging method. I pretty much put the barrel in the palm of my hand, If I only need to reload 8 rounds I'll go glove-less . Ff anymore then that I'll wear a thin Bicycle glove that covers the palm, I find it doesn't effect my grip with a pistol or rifle wearing it.

Edited by DocMedic

I keep my strong hand grip on the gun, and roll the wrist over so the gun is almost upside down. I drop it down so the butt stock is around elbow level, with the elbow trapping the gun to may waist/kidney level. I then take the shells out with my "weak hand" (left hand) and "pet" them into the loading port. I never truly change the grip of my right hand... It is in almost the exact same position as when shooting, just rolled over at the wrist...

This way, no glove needed!

To give you a better visual, the stock is in the same position as where it would be when I weak hand reload from shell caddies, just upside down...

This has worked very well for me...

+1

I practice this weak hand reload...not having shot a match with the load two yet. I find it acceptable and don't have a hot barrel issue or the stock over my shooting shoulder.

I would not recommend a Glove dictating how you use the loading Systems. When James and I designed the TWinS systems, we wanted to expand on the versatility of the shotgun and make loading faster while more ergonomic. Some people are just better weak than strong hand and vice versa. Try out several variations and pick the one that works the best for YOU. Loading the shotgun is very important in 3Gun and adopting a loading technique is a choice that should be made from knowledge you have gained, not just what works for someone else. This is the exact reason we continue to push the design in this area (chest worn SSLs, belt worn SSL and FSL caddies all using TWinS loading). You can now load from wherever feels best to you, heck I even loaded off my back Saturday. When people call and want me to tell them which system to use, we usually talk about the number of major and local matches they shoot, how much they practice and other pertinent issues. Giving some feedback usually helps people make a good choice.

So if you feel more comfortable loading strong hand, with a glove on your weak hand, then do so. If you feel more comfortable doing something else, then again, do that!

Edited by MarkCO

I run a pistol grip stock, and I really don't want to change that right now.

I can't roll the shotgun over in my strong hand easily with the pistol grip, so I

think up on the shoulder would be my only choice. I think I'd do better

reloading with my strong hand. I currently load four weak-hand from the belt.

I will try weak-hand loading from the load-two belt and see if maybe that is my

best option, otherwise I think I'll have to experiment with a fingerless glove.

If your using your weak hand to load, the barrel is not in contact with your skin so there is no burn. If your doing a strong hand load you need a glove since your weak hand is in contact with the barrel. Is it more complex than that?

To be honest. I can burn an entire box before my shotgun starts to get hot and 2 boxes before it's unbareable. It's pretty rare to have a stage long enough to get the barrel so hot you can't touch it. CO State will have the longest shotgun course I have ever shot. It will be boarder line, but I will probably opt to just suck it up and run the gun without a glove to maintain loading dexterity (such as it is).

Is there some sort of heat wrap (strip) you can put on the barrel in those exposed places that could help protect your hand? I just got the TWinS vest and prefer the strong hand loading but don't want to wear a glove.

Sticky back pile Velcro...

• 3 weeks later...

I use the load two strong hand. Yes if it is only a 16 round stage in mild weather you can get by not wearing a glove. But if you are shooting any more than that or are shooting in the Vegas sun I would wear a glove. I don't think the glove really hurts me other than looking funny with only one glove on. But then again I already get crap for my tactical girdle/bomber vest.

Yes, I'm a michael loader. It does look silly, but I'm not in a beauty contest on the range.

I leave the glove on, but since it is a tight fitting mechanics glove I feel like I am really losing much if anything on the pistol shots with it. Then again I'm not the best shot and take more than my share of FTE penalties at every match.

Here are to videos where I shot pistol and shotgun with one glove.

And if you go to the start of the second video you can see me shoot a stage where I wish I would have remembered to put on the glove. It wasn't so bad I burned myself, but it was something that surprised me.

Ok, I relent. Shot a fast 26 shell stage this weekend. By shot 20, the barrel was getting pretty toasty. I just suffered through it, but I might consider breaking out a glove for the 40+ shot shotgun stage at the upcoming Noveski, Colorado match.

Ok, I relent. Shot a fast 26 shell stage this weekend. By shot 20, the barrel was getting pretty toasty. I just suffered through it, but I might consider breaking out a glove for the 40+ shot shotgun stage at the upcoming Noveski, Colorado match.

put some sticky-backed fuzzy velcro on the hot spot that you grab on the barrel... It works.

jj

• 1 month later...

I've used automobile molding strip on either side of the rib and down the handguard....about 5 or 6 inches long. The onlky thing exposed is the rib that I can sight down now. But, JJ has it with the fuzzy side of velco too, although the molding is a little thicker to help keep your palm away from the rib.

You'll still need to worry a little about the hot rib (maybe), but I haven't been burned by that....yet.

Tim