Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Gun Solvent,Oil,and Grease

baron45

Brake cleaner for really tough cleaning. Starrett M1 for general cleaning. FP-10 to lube the gun.

Starrett M1 is a very light lubricant, but it cleans well and leaves a light protective film on the gun.

thre price is reasonable, $15 a gallon at any tool supply store.

I talked with an engineer at Starrett and he told me that in talc tests (the abilty not to attract dust) M1 is supperior to most of the clean, lube, and protect products on the market.

Simple Green on the frame and small parts if I do a detail strip and really want to get it clean, or Shooters Choice for a quicker clean up, either followed by a wipe down with CLP. Kroil in the barrel, then a swab with CLP. Wilson's Ultimalube on the link, lugs and bearing surface of the bull bbl. Dab of the same on the sear and hooks.

Am looking forward to trying Slide Glide. :rolleyes:

ProTec all the way. I have been using all three of the ProTec products since the first of 2004. Their Nitro Solvent BOREcleaner is the best I have used ever and I have been cleaning gun for over 15 years. Their GUNgrease is the only grease manufactured specifically for use on firearms. It is also the only grease that I have used that will stay on the sleeve of the comp on my open gun that has two hyrid ports, and I mean after 500 rds. there is still ProTec GUNgrease showing on the sleeve of the comp except for a place about 3/16 of an inch wide right on top of the sleeve at the ports. I have shot two local matches a week apart before and only put grease on the sleeve of the comp before the first match. The ProTec GUNoil is a synthetic blend that offers protection from corrosion, rust and heat. They have a some new products coming out really soon which consist of a, cleaner/degreaser in aerosol, the Nitro Solvent BOREcleaner in aerosol, GUNoil in aerosol and a carbon fiber cleaning rod that is way too cool. The aluminum handle even has a storage compartment in it. I can not say enough about all the ProTec products.

Here is a link to their web site.

ProTec

Butches Bore shine or Kroil to clean.

Castrol Synthetic motor oil to wipe down (5W30 cause it's what I run in my car ).

Slide Glide on the rails . #3 unless it's cold.

Brownell's Moly trigger lube on the trigger.

On my AR I have been using LP ( CLP minus the C ) and just got some TW25B to try out.

Travis F.

• 3 years later...

Hoppes #9 to clean (bore only with Bore Snake), otherwise clean paper towel; Z-Max to lube, Breakfree if more needed during the match day, TW25B if hot weather.

Edited by NMCOpen

No.9 and brake cleaner

Mobil one "Grease" where needed

Tried all sorts of stuff until I tried FP-10, this now goes on everything

the stuff just stays on the gun, Handguns, AR's, Benelli !!!