Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Tell me why I need a six inch please

TannerB

I have an opportunity to have a 2011 6 inch built for me, for around 1600. That seems like a good deal to me, He does build quality gun and I already have two 5 inch 2011's from him. One in 9 and the other in 40.

Ive heard good things about them but have never shot one. Any opinions would be appreciated.

Personal preferrence, but the longer sight radius is very nice because even if you call a miss it's still a c or d for me. When I shoot my 6in I have to tell myself not to make up shots because the shot I thought I missed is really a C. I dont really think one is faster than the other. But the 6in being heavier make a slower draw and transition but the splits are about the same. The 6in is just very easy to be accurate.

The 6" gun is ALL about sight radius. Some may tell you that the extra barrel helps make PF, but that is a tiny bonus in the long run. That extra sight radius really helps out on distant targets. I'm pretty jealous; I'm still running an M&P .40Pro in Limited. I would say that you are in a great position. You could also consider a second top-end for one of your existing guns so that you keep the same trigger and grip between "guns". Anyway, ALL about sight radius! Running plate racks at 35 yards and such...

In my opinion it does everything better and at least as fast. There are LOTS of threads about it, but a 6" with a lightened slide and 5" recoil system avoids the sluggishness that was a complaint a long time ago. Combine that with 20% more sight radius and its a no lose.

My 5" and 6" guns are basically identical. Same grip, weight, sights, trigger, magwell, ignition parts... even the same pistolsmith. From behind the gun it looks and feels identical, until you pull the trigger. The 6" gun is just as fast on the clock, shoots flatter and has less felt recoil.

Personal preferrence, but the longer sight radius is very nice because even if you call a miss it's still a c or d for me. When I shoot my 6in I have to tell myself not to make up shots because the shot I thought I missed is really a C. I dont really think one is faster than the other. But the 6in being heavier make a slower draw and transition but the splits are about the same. The 6in is just very easy to be accurate.

I just transitioned to a light 6" after shooting a heavy 5" gun for several years. immediately noticed the above when first shooting my new 6" gun, though funny thing is the gun is actually lighter so it transitions better (on a dime) and is as fast/faster to draw. doesnt feel like I'm waving around a brick with a fully loaded mag. the 6" also shoots soft even with full power factory stuff. the gun is definitely a "hot rod"; fast and light. I feel that I havent been able to shoot it to its full potential yet, far from it. the extra inch of barrel helps a tiny bit with PF too.

If I could do it over I would go this route for a Limited gun. all positives except for the cost, but you have to pay to play I guess.

In my opinion it does everything better and at least as fast. There are LOTS of threads about it, but a 6" with a lightened slide and 5" recoil system avoids the sluggishness that was a complaint a long time ago. Combine that with 20% more sight radius and its a no lose.

My 5" and 6" guns are basically identical. Same grip, weight, sights, trigger, magwell, ignition parts... even the same pistolsmith. From behind the gun it looks and feels identical, until you pull the trigger. The 6" gun is just as fast on the clock, shoots flatter and has less felt recoil.

+1 :cheers:

I've near identical 5" and 6" guns. One year at the Nats they had a timed standards stage starting at 50yds. There were strings of weak and strong hand as well. I set up and practiced the piss out of this stage for days. First with the 5", then the 6". I documented and compared all the strings.

Bottom line was "I" could not shoot one any better than the other. The only difference I can tell, is if I've been off the trigger for awhile, the 6" seems more forgiving. That being said, if I had the money I'd have Benny build me another 6".

RWS

I wish I could tell you the 6" gun would make you shoot better. It won't. If the 6" guns were all that and a bag of chips all the pro's would be running 6" guns. Get whatever you like and shoot it. I tried a 6" gun and didn't notice a difference so went back to my 5" gun.

I was asking myself this very question while I was shopping around for a new limited gun.

There were 5" guns aplenty at my local range but no 6" guns so the "try before you buy" approach was not available to me. I recently received my SV with both 5" and 6" topends and I'm still forming my opinion about the 6". (If you're interested, I posted pics in the Gallery in the Limited Gun topic.)

I have only ever shot 5" guns in competition so the 5" topend feels more natural to me at this point. I've shot a practice stage or two with the 5" and that confirms the feel I describe and expected.

I've only dry fired, zeroed and functioned the 6". I'll be shooting the 6" in the coming weeks. It should be interesting.

At this point, I'm in agreement with a previous poster in that you don't need a 6" especially if you're like me and already used to a 5". However, if you know anyone with a 6" you may have the opportunity to try it before buying where I did not. Or if you really can't decide (like me) you can do the two topends and figure it out for yourself.

Good luck!

I shot a 5 inch gun almost the entire time I've been playing this game; about 9 years. I was very skeptical about the advantages of a 6". After shooting the first day of the Limited Nationals last year with my 5" gun (made A class with it) with all of those tight shots, partials, no shoots, etc I thought to myself maybe the extra sight radius would help. especially since I dont see the sights so good anymore. I went back into the vendor tent and ordered a six incher from Cameron's. I figured what the hell, if I didnt like it or there was no real advantage I could always dump it and have another 5" built. after shooting it the past few weeks, the six inch gun IS all its cracked up to be. only regret is that I wish I got one sooner.

Edited by blaster113