Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

I'm very unhappy...(update: Now I'm Happy)

JFD

When you folks say a person needs help to run a match, you are not kidding. I believe I just burned out about an hour ago. I'm miserable so obviously I need to vent and spread my misery around. Take that as a warning as to what follows.

I had been shooting USPSA for about a year when our MD decided it was time to quit. I had been helping him for a couple of months, but otherwise he had been running 2 matches a month for several years with almost no help.

Of the club members, I was the only one who would take the job. I knew nothing, still know almost nothing, but was unable to stand the thought of a USPSA match (my new love) at a club I was a member of (8 minutes from my house) die out.

Here I am nearly 2 years later and have yet to have any help setting up a 5 - 6 stage match. Only recently have I had any help tearing down the match. Generally speaking I do everything.

My attendance is basically unchanged, with just enough shooters (8 - 15) to pay for itself and occasionally splurge on a simple prop.

My shooters tell me the matches are great and my stages are really good. Most of the time they're telling the truth.

I've yet to return any money back to the club (profit) and my operating cash is half of what it once was. I get to attend BOD meetings and listen to how well everyone else is doing. My fellow BOD members treat me well and don't care if my match makes money or not. I could likely get away with being a drain on the club's finances if things get worse.

The club has 1000 members and no more than 5 of them shoot my match. The switch to 3-gun format seems likely to change that for the better, although how much better is unknown.

I set up Friday and Saturday nights so I just have to staple targets on Sunday morning to be ready for the match. This allows me to shoot the match and not suck too bad. I actually advanced to B class this year, won the state title for my division at the sectional, and bought Steve Anderson's book. Would have been nice not to have been beaten by 6 out-of-state shooters in my division, but what the hell, I got a belt buckle and a nice check. Am planning to shoot more big matches next year.

So anyway, about an hour ago I had just finished setting up stage 1 and was sweating my ass off while wondering if it was going to rain on me again before I got to stage 4. I once again noticed I was alone. Big surprise... I got in my car and drove home. I have absolutely no desire to finish the setup, present the match, or even shoot the damn match. Thinking back, when Max decided to single out my stage at the sectional match (I designed and worked it) on his web site as one "that should have been changed", it pretty much sucked the last bit of joy out of this entire miserable MD experience. Nothing against Max, he was correct that the stage would have been better if changed. I'm afraid to look at Chris' site.

Thread drift: I will have a kickass stage at next year's match!

I'm sick of the match. I'm sick of spending almost every waking moment of every 3rd weekend either at the match, at the club setting up, or otherwise dealing with the match in some form or another. Occasionally I'll see my wife and daughter. I don't shoot any other matches because of the amount of time this match takes away from my family.

I'll be at the club at 6:00 AM tomorrow to make up for the work I walked away from tonight, and I'll finish up Saturday night, but I don't think I'm going to do it again. I feel like an idiot to have ever done it. I'll find out Tuesday at the BOD meeting if we can keep some kind of 3-gun match going on that 3rd Sunday. If so, it will be an IDPA-based match that I will hate.

My only option for not being a total loser is to suck it up and continue the match in it's new 3-gun format, hoping that it will attract new and helpful shooters, thus solving all my problems. That would be OK except that I'm sick of the match and I'm not going to do it. THAT would be OK except that quitting before the last match of the year is not the kind of thing I do. I want to do it, but have never done that kind of thing.

A person simply can't do it alone...

I feel your pain. I ran into the same situation a couple years ago, I was comitting nearly all my free time to the range. Set 2 or 3 stages the day before, show up early the next morning for the match while most everyone else shows up 15 minutes before the match. I burnt out and stopped shooting for probably 5 or 6 months, it wasn't fun anymore. I came back with a new attitude that I would do everything I could to help, but I now have limits on how much I will do.

You might try asking for stage setters for the next match and get them to commit. Set ONE stage yourself and let the other members set the rest. Remember, match day is your day to shoot as well, you got into this sport to shoot, but fell into the trap of not being able to say NO when asked to help. Why should you start the match all wore out, running around stapling targets while everyone else shoots the bull? You shouldn't have to if there are 5-8 people standing around.

If all else fails, the simple and most non-confrontational way to get out of it is to simply tell whomever runs the range that you can no longer run the matches because of other commitments. Give a date which will be your last and stick to it. If they don't get anyone to replace you, then that's their problem, not yours. Hope this helps. :wacko:

Make it clear to all the shooters that for each match someone needs to do a stage, or there won't be a match - design a stage, set it up, tear it down (although the whole squad should tear everything down after the match ideally). Get a commitment from 5 or 6 shooters each match to be there for next months match as a stage designer/setup guy. Hold em to it. :huh:

If you can't get that participation level from the club, then they deserve their own fate. If they refuse to help, raise the entry fee and pay someone else to do all the setup / MD work.... maybe get the club to throw in a free membership or entry fees to whoever agrees to be the MD for a year.

I agree, its no fun when 1 or 2 guys have to shoulder the entire load. Seen more than a couple clubs die from MD burnout that way. <_<

Setting up the night before could be hurting the cause, although it usually looks good on paper.

I would try showing up and wait until the shooters arrive. Then "let" them help you set-up as much as they're willing, then whatever gets setup is what you'll shoot that month.

It's worth a try.

The club I shoot with shows up the morning of the match and WE set up 5 stages including a classifier. Our club president has everything we need available to set up, but when we get there, if there is an empty bay, we put something in it.

I guess it is a good sign when just about every shooter that shows up has a stapler in his/her bag!!!

Having said that, I don't understand how people can week after week come in and shoot a match that they haven't bothered to help on.

JFD, I'll bet that if you didn't do anything and waited until the morning of the match, you might have the ear of the shooters that show up. "I need some help or there won't be a match"

You shouldn't have to do it by yourself.

JMHO, FWIW

dj

I lasted about two and a half years before I had enough, that was five years ago or so. I think I've only shot maybe three to five matches since then even though I've had all the ability to shoot about every weekend. The burnout affected my attitude towards the sport which I'm trying to overcome. I've lost a lot of good shooting time that I'll never get back, don't let that happen to you.

I have seen several clubs do the "Quarterly MD" thing where someone is MD for 3 months and then someone else takes it for 3 months and so on. This seems to help the burnout factor somewhat.

I think at least one of the clubs I shoot at routinely is going to go to that scheme.

I agree that night-before-setup gives a better match... but, if people aren't ready and willing to show up then, it sucks even more for setup.

I was the sole guy running our club for almost a year-- MD, stats, etc. The only thing that saved me from total burnout was the willingness of the shooters to set up stages from designs I'd drawn up. First batch of shooters would show up, I'd hand each a stage diagram and ask them to put it up. They'd round up more help and get it done. We did have 20-30 shooters usually, which helped.

It still sucked for me.. the best thing the new president did was 'appoint' half a dozen new MD's. As-in "you're the MD for April, or it won't happen". "Ask" for help plenty strongly and you'll probably get it and probably won't piss off everybody in the process. Do your shooters know you're burning out?

I had a chance to run IPSC at my local club. I think we probally would have got 30 shooters a month. We were in a location with the nearest IPSC club being about a hour drive away. I was very open to letting people do whatever they wanted to help. Design stages , scoring , set-up , tear down Whatever anyone could do. I figured I needed at least 3 people not including myself to help. In a perfect world 5 people would have been great. I could only get one person to commit another might be interested in scoring (might). Everyone was excited about the prospect of IPSC at the club. After asking 20-25 people to commit to helping I had 1 for sure 1 maybe. I thought about it for about a week. I have 2 kids myself. I wanted badly to do it. But not alone. I went all out trying to get help. It's kinda funny now but some of the people who were really excited about it looked at me like I was nuts to ask them to help. As soon as I said I wasn't going to do it those same people said they would have done anything I wanted them to. Im not happy that it didn't work but Im happy that I wasn't stuck doing everything.

I feel your pain. :(

You don't seem happy. It's time to pull the plug. I'll bet after you do all kinds of people will say they'd be glad to help. :angry:

It's really too late to try new things. I'm sick to death of it and can't handle another match. Leaving the bays empty until Sunday morning sounds really good, but I'll be damned if I'm going to design any more stages for anybody to set up.

With 1000 club members, but only 5 club shooters, it's apparent the club members don't want USPSA. With our fairly new CCW law, it appears IDPA is what they want. The typical IDPA match has 40 - 75 shooters and help all over the place. These folks appear to be too intimidated to shoot USPSA. USPSA shooters do dominate the IDPA match when they crossover, and I guess nobody is looking for a challenge.

There's also another USPSA match on the Saturday of "my" weekend, so I have competition on a better shooting day. I'll get to shoot it now.

I can't stand IDPA, as the "shoot it my goofy way" mentality of IDPA as a whole, and our local non-rulebook reading SOs make it intolerable compared to USPSA. The club has an outlaw match on the 4th Sunday that may be my best option for staying involved at the club. They only have 3 -4 stages, so I could easily setup one of my 32 round steel and mover heavy stages that I'm so fond of, IF I feel like doing it. A single stage would hardly seem like effort anymore.

There's a good bit of USPSA action around here, so I could easily end up shooting 2 - 3 times as many matches as I do now. Columbia and Spartanburg come to mind immediately. For that matter, even driving to Georgia to shoot with the folks at the Cherokee club becomes such an easy thing to do compared to what I've been doing at my match. I've got inlaws in Charleston, so convienent scheduling of "visits" gets me another match to shoot.

I've been on the verge of getting sick of shooting. My dryfire book is almost unopened. The match has been killing my spirit. Just thinking about giving up on the match has improved my mood considerably. After I end it officially Tuesday, I know I'll be recharged as a shooter. My 7 year old daughter is now shooting with me during practice using a P-22 I bought her, so I'm pretty sure I can look forward to introducing her to USPSA in a few years.

While I'm not going to be helping set up any USPSA matches for quite some time, I'll never leave a match without helping to tear down.

The MD of the SC State match is one of my most regular shooters, and is one of the reasons I usually don't have to RO my match very much. We usually have a 3 man rotation on each squad. He shut his USPSA match down recently as well for lack of attendence. I will happily design and work a stage for the state match each year. Luckily the props I've built lately have not been donated to the club, so I'll have my own collection of movers/props and can be independent of our club.

I appreciate the support. I did get into this to have fun and to improve my own shooting. I'm lucky I managed to actually improve over the last 2 years, and am looking forward to concentrating on myself for awhile. all I have to do is survive this weekend :(

JFD,

Sounds to me like you are taking the right course of action. If there is no other people willing to get off of their butts to help out, then they don't want a match that much. Being able to shoot more, and at a variety of places WILL help your mental state. After you have had time to recharge, you will probably find yourself helping out at some of the other clubs with set up and tear down. You sound like the same type of person I am, we can only sit on our hands while others work for about 2 sec. ;) Good luck, hope the fire starts to flame back up for you.

Joel,

It's really difficult for me to say this but, if you're the only guy willing to do any work, stop busting a gut and devote your energy to another club or range where you can be part of a team. It's clear that you're a dedicated guy, so don't waste your time with lazy people.

I haven't shot a match in Hong Kong (or Macau for that matter) for 5 years, because I'm invariably the RM, Stats Director and Chief Bottle Washer, but I'm not doing everything alone, as I have a small design, construction & tear down crew assisting me. In fact, at our last three Level III matches, even the ROs have been 100% imported, and they work full time as ROs, because our competitors are willing to pay a higher match fee to enable them to shoot the match without officiating.

I don't mind forgoing my shooting and devoting my entire time to officiating at local matches for the greater good provided I at least get assistance with the preparations, and I urge you to reconsider your situation. Eventually, the lazy bastards will get the message and either extract their digits or they will have fewer matches to shoot, but IPSC will still have you doing your thing somewhere.

BTW, I've heard nothing but glowing reports about you from the international matches you've attended, so I can assure you that your efforts have neither gone unnoticed nor unappreciated and, on behalf of your many silent fans, I sincerely thank you from the bottom of our hearts.

And, like it or not, you're one of the best international ambassadors the USPSA has ever had.

I went through the same problems running an USPSA club in the Savannah, GA area. I finally burned out and switched to Sporting Clays. Sporting Clays clubs are run for a profit and the club management is responsible for course setup, etc. You show up, pay your money, and shoot.

I think that what you have described is what generally happens at any club. About 25% of the membership does all the work and the rest just show up occasionally to shoot. They also are the first to complain.

We have decided to promote a pro-active attitude within the club and it is difficult. We also decided that if we set up a match we do it with the idea that it will be just fine if we are the only people there as we all, (there are about 5 people that are always there), will get more trigger time and since our matches are not registered type matches we have a ball!

I guess what I am trying to say is that we set up Matches for us and if we don't get a good turn out WE at least have fun!

One thing I have noticed is that IPSC in general is very labor intensive and sad to say I would not want to have to set up 5 or 6 stages by myself! I would bring it before the board and ask them if they could help promote people to give you a hand or stop doing it, I bet it won't take long before people start complaining and maybe even get off there butts to help!

This is a good stage to set up, and it helps convey the point that help is needed to set things up. Virginia Count

Needed: One table, One target stand w/lathe, One target, One Staple Gun W/O staples, One box of staples. Set up target stand 40 yards down range from table.

Start Position: Standing behind table, with target, unloaded staple gun, box of staples, unloaded gun, and loaded magazines on table.

Upon Start Signal: Load Staple Gun, and take target and staple gun to target. Shooter to attach target to stand. Shooter to then return to table, retreive/load gun and engage target with 2 rounds only.

I like the sound of that stage. ;)

Well it's Monday and the experience is finally over. Spent 12 hours setting up and had 5 shooters show up. I let them shoot for free and decided we'd tear down each stage as we finished it. This was a welcome change.

With only 5 shooters showing up, this is a perfect time to quit. Will simply tell the BOD that it's obvious the club members aren't interested in USPSA. It's the simple truth.

Ouch, only 5 shooters. Even for Fathers day that's not so good. Sorry to hear it, but like we ahve said, now you can go to other clubs and concentrate on your shooting more. Take it easy, enjoy your sanity break. ;)

Tonight I let the club BOD know I'm finished. Once I do that and get the last of the equipment taken care of, it will be over.

I know nobody is going to step up and ake over the match, as I've been talking to club members about handling the job next year already - No takers.

I don't even feel guilty anymore. It's obvious from the lack of help and lame attendence that the match isn't wanted.

I think I'll finally take the stages I've been designing and upload them to stageexchange.com.

If its any consulation I ran a 60+ shooter match for 3 years with 1 or 2 people helping max. No one ever said thanks and I usually had a group of 4 or 5 people "watch" me set up and tear down. Then complain match started late or had too many no-shoots, ports or whatever. Those idiots are pretty much gone. I still love this sport and right now I am getting a brand new club off the ground. I am training everybody to help and to be honest, am making it clear it you don't, go away. All with tack. Find another club, SC has a lot of shooters.

Well I'm about to find out how many shooters SC really has. So far I haven't shot any SC matches besides mine, but Columbia looks to have a well attended match. I'll have to get directions to the Spartanburg match as I have no idea where the heck it is. It's closest, so that should be one of my first stops.

Helping with tear down is going to be nothing compared to what I've been doing.

JFD,

Sorry I never made it to your match, it falls on the same day as the Statesville, NC match which I regularly shoot (if you ran the one I am assuming you ran). Sad that means two of the three matches on the I-85 corridor in SC are gone.

Please come shoot Spartanburg, its a great match... well attended, fun stages, nice crowd. A lot of the crowd is out of Charlotte which might explain why they did not attend your match.

I have never made it down to Columbia for that match as the Rowan County Wildlife Club in Salisbury, NC started their club back up and I have been supporting it, but I have shot the Toys For Tots Match at Columbia and it was a load of fun in the cold. Donnie and the guys are great.

I know exactly the problem you speak of, but you might have tried the solution most of the western NC clubs favor. You come in, setup a stage, turn in the paperwork and shoot for free or at least a reduced fare. Still seems to be the same guys setting up stages, but at least they don't mind since they get a tangible benefit for their labor.

Hope to see you in Spartanburg on July 3rd.

James

It's too bad that now both the Anderson and Greenville matches are no more. We must have been too far down I-85. I'm just as guilty as anyone for not attending the Anderson match.

I should be attending the Spartanburg match, barring some type of July 4th plans by my wife. If not, I'll be there August. Of course I've still got to find the place, but that shouldn't be a problem.

I'm going to shoot a local outlaw match this Sunday just to make sure I actually have some fun, but I'm going to check and see if there's a 4th Sunday USPSA match somewhere. A quick trip to the Area 6 site should clear that up. My own match last Sunday was simply something I wanted to be over with, no fun whatsoever.

I'll see you soon.

Jerry

4th Sunday, Old Bridge, NJ Only a scant 8 hour drive from North Carolina. 7 Stages and a sidematch! Set-up starts at 7:30 Am on Sunday and we are generally torn down and put away by 4:30 or 5 at the latest.

Fantastic stages, good round counts, great people.

...but I'm going to check and see if there's a 4th Sunday USPSA match somewhere.  A quick trip to the Area 6 site should clear that up. 

Jerry, check out Cool Springs Gun Club (http://www.georgiaipsc.com/cool.htm). It's a bit south of you, but if there's not anything closer that draws your attention, I highly recommend their match. Those guys put on a good show - fun, challenging, thought-provoking, and really, really nice people.