Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

1911 Blew Up LOOK AT THIS

deerassassin22

Well was shooting today on my fith shot shooting factory ammo. What the **** went wrong all factory parts no mods or nothing. I just emailed SPRINGFIELD about this assuming they say nope not fixing it where is the best place to get a whole new upper?

Edited by deerassassin22

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had a frame crack on a GI 45. Problem was I added and blended a beavertail grip safety and an Ed brown thumb safety before it happened. They gave me a new gun and replicated my work on the new one. The new one ame back with a much better trigger. Yours is an older model Loaded (square frame), but I'm sure Springfield will take care of you.

Edited by prreed10

No Idea why do maintenance and everything. The thing that really sucks is the AREA 8 match is coming up and I have no backup gun. Looks like this could be a EPIC fail for shooting my first major match.

I have a similar 1911, a stock Springfield Loaded except for Dawson FO front sight, you're welcome to borrow it for as long as you need if you can get here to it. I don't know when the match is, but I'll be coming to AL for a match in a month and could probably get it close.

Broke at a stress point between front cocking serrations and the rest of the slide?

Either bad metal, metal over stressed by cuts, or bad frame/slide fit.

Factory ammo? No mods? Speak to someone in customer relations by phone and don't hang up until you have a RMA or have had the CEO tell you no.

Eta: just re-read your post. They haven't replied yet. I thought they said no

Don't worry. They won't say no.

Edited by Steve Umansky

I can't tell for sure from the pictures, but the fracture surface looks as though that crack might have been in place for a while. Given the relatively low stresses in that area of the slide, it would seem most probable that a crack had been there since the slide was formed. We get all sorts of products in for failure analysis at the lab where I work, but never anything this cool! (probably because we don't have an FFL)