Introducing PractiScore

Brian N.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

After playing with PS in my own devices for the last 6 weeks, and planning for our own club transition to it, Today I finally actually got to shoot a match using it, at Central Alabama Practical Shooters, over in Shorter,AL. They have purchased a dozen Nook ST to use.

I have to say, that I was trending toward buying other devices than the NST, but after scoring with our squad with it, on a 95 degree day, I am very impressed. Easy to use, easy to see, great ergonomics (easy to see, hold and enter data).

I think it has been brought up, but it would be nice to be able to enter a FTE on the same page as scoring the targets, but I can live with it on the shooter front page.

Mark K.

...Easy to use, easy to see, great ergonomics (easy to see, hold and enter data).

Mark K.

Mark...you might want to caution your shooters when holding the NST's...the buttons on the left and right of the screens will give them fits if they accidentally press them while scoring.

I also set the bottom "n" button long press to return to Practiscore like Alan A. stated earlier...works like a charm.

Damn, with this post, we will be at 456 postings on this tread. We are getting ready to run our first club match with Practiscore, I wish there was a synopsis of this thread so I could make sure I am not missing something.......... But then as the program changes, things get fixed, the value of some of the posts diminishes.....

Mark K

I may have missed it but is there plans for a missing score sheet? What about making steel Alphas on the review screen?

^This. Separating Steel/Alphas for those running paper backup/summary makes it tedious and error-prone.

The pairing stages option you discussed would be a welcome addition, but what about just giving the ability to choose the order of the screens as an option?

Stage>Squad>Shooter makes sense for L2+ matches where the RO's will stay with the stage, but for the majority of Practiscore's use, which will be L1 matches, Squad>Stage>Shooter would make much more sense as the scorer/RO usually moves with the squad, at least in my short experience. (I'm not sure who suggested Squad>Shooter>Stage, but that would be of very limited and rare use such as running the rare "I'm in a hurry" shooter through every stage all at once, I imagine. Squad/Stage/Shooter would be what most people using Practiscore would want, I would be willing to bet.)

This could be something added as maybe a little Gear icon to make app-wide changes to settings in one of the corners like many iOS apps, another main menu option like "GUI Options", or perhaps as presets that can be chosen when creating the match. As in, when you create a new match, there would simply be another thing to define.

Name: Monthly USPSA

Date: June 5, 2012

Display: [dropdown list]

• Stage>Squad>Shooter
  • Squad>Stage>Shooter
  • Squad>Shooter>Stage

Also, thanks for your efforts in staying in touch with us and continually improving a great asset to the practical shooting community!

Edited by Jeanjacket

I just downloaded the iPad app tonight and started playing with it. My initial thoughts are I like it! Having just worked the Ohio match and personally scoring every shooter on our stage over the entire weekend I would like to see some reference to the stage name when you are looking at a squad list or scoring an individual shooter. This would help prevent being on the wrong stage. Obviously you would figure out you are on the wrong stage with the first shooter but it could create a timely re-score and possible accuracy issues.

I just downloaded the iPad app tonight and started playing with it. My initial thoughts are I like it! Having just worked the Ohio match and personally scoring every shooter on our stage over the entire weekend I would like to see some reference to the stage name when you are looking at a squad list or scoring an individual shooter. This would help prevent being on the wrong stage. Obviously you would figure out you are on the wrong stage with the first shooter but it could create a timely re-score and possible accuracy issues.

Eric, if you're looking at the individual shooter, (as in, you've already picked Stage>Squad and have already clicked a shooter and you're on the screen where you can input their time, procedurals, etc) you should see the stage name in the top left.

Example from my phone attached (stage name "Pallet Monkey" - top left just under menu buttons):

post-39079-0-66242200-1339175652_thumb.p

Eric, if you're looking at the individual shooter, (as in, you've already picked Stage>Squad and have already clicked a shooter and you're on the screen where you can input their time, procedurals, etc) you should see the stage name in the top left.

Example from my phone attached (stage name "Pallet Monkey" - top left just under menu buttons):

That is part of the issue at Level I matches. At least with the clubs around here, people tend to think in terms of "Stage 3" or "Stage 5", not "Pallet Monkey". So even though our stage designers take time to come up with interesting stage names, come match day, the shooters rarely remember the stage names. I think they only remember the name if it was a particularly good stage or bad stage, but that is at the end of the stage, not during the beginning or the middle of the time at the stage.

Sorry for my slow responses here. I'm doing stats at the MGM Ironman MultiGun with the beta of the time+ module for PractiScore. It's going well. Should release it when Devin gets off a houseboat in 1.5 weeks.

Ken N.

You are correct! In my haste to create a stage I named them EK and EK1. I'm so used to seeing my initials I didn't see it! :roflol:

That is part of the issue at Level I matches. At least with the clubs around here, people tend to think in terms of "Stage 3" or "Stage 5", not "Pallet Monkey". So even though our stage designers take time to come up with interesting stage names, come match day, the shooters rarely remember the stage names. I think they only remember the name if it was a particularly good stage or bad stage, but that is at the end of the stage, not during

the beginning or the middle of the time at the stage.

That is a good point. I think I will be sure to include stage # with my stage names. I.e 'Stage 1 - Pallet Monkey'.

Sorry for my slow responses here. I'm doing stats at the MGM Ironman MultiGun with the beta of the time+ module for PractiScore. It's going well. Should release it when Devin gets off a houseboat in 1.5 weeks.

Ken N.

1.5 weeks on a houseboat?! He'll need another two weeks to dry out! N

Ken N.

1.5 weeks on a houseboat?! He'll need another two weeks to dry out! N

My self, my wife and 2 German Shepherds lived on a 56' houseboat for 8 years. It was awesome. Except for the drunks who show up Friday afternoon, drink non-stop with their stereos cranked to 11 until Sunday evening, let their brats run up and down the dock, have dogs not on a leash, fire up their race boats with loud exhaust at 6am, beat the hell out of each other with beer bottles, leave trash laying all over the docks, knock on your door at 2am asking if you have any Bacardi or weed they could "borrow", have domestic disputes at all hours...

OK, it was awesome when no one else was around. Glad we did it, wouldn't do it again. Winter was the best time.

--jc

I think I'm going to buy a Nook this weekend and root it. I've read a couple of how to's and it doesn't seem too difficult. I'm hoping to take with me to Area 5 as a trial run.

That is part of the issue at Level I matches. At least with the clubs around here, people tend to think in terms of "Stage 3" or "Stage 5", not "Pallet Monkey". So even though our stage designers take time to come up with interesting stage names, come match day, the shooters rarely remember the stage names. I think they only remember the name if it was a particularly good stage or bad stage, but that is at the end of the stage, not during the beginning or the middle of the time at the stage.

Yes that was a stage name from our weekly match, which is only a 3-stage match so we don't have issues with remembering what stage was where. For the monthly matches we proceed as Eric noted he would do, the simple solution of naming the stage "Stage [#] - [Name]".

I think I'm going to buy a Nook this weekend and root it. I've read a couple of how to's and it doesn't seem too difficult. I'm hoping to take with me to Area 5 as a trial run.

Couple people on here have already noted issues with overheating resulting in freezing, low/no responsiveness in touchscreen, or flat out device failure, so keep it as cool as possible! Perhaps find a white cover for it to deflect sunlight, or simply keep it in the shade as often as possible. As far as I know, NST's don't have overheat protection like Apple products do. (If an Apple product notices that it is getting too hot, it first dims the screen to reduce heat from the backlight. If that does not alleviate the temperature rise, it will shut itself off to prevent further damage.) Just giving you a heads up, not trying to sell you an iPad ;)

I can't find the post right now, but it's not really an overheating issue, but rather the screen being based on infrared. If everything is warm, the screen can't tell if there has been any input, so it looks like the device is frozen. The thread basically suggested keeping the edges of the screen clean where the IR beams are emitted, and keeping the face cooler.

Having said that, I haven't successfully sold the NST as viable device for my home club. The reason is primarily with the opposite problem of heat: dealing with rain. And there's also enough people around who had volunteered their Droid's and iPhones during our pilot period. Those devices felt a lot more responsive than the NST's, with the iPad coming out at the top of heap. Of course, I doubt I can get the club to shell out money for 12 or more iPads so we are pretty much on a holding pattern. We know we want to go electronic. We all feel that it's a major benefit and the way of the future. It's just a matter of finding the right device. (Some shooters apparently expressed disappointment that we'd gone back to paper last month when I wasn't around to do another electronically scored match.)

Edited by Skydiver

I can't find the post right now, but it's not really an overheating issue, but rather the screen being based on infrared. If everything is warm, the screen can't tell if there has been any input, so it looks like the device is frozen. The thread basically suggested keeping the edges of the screen clean where the IR beams are emitted, and keeping the face cooler.

Having said that, I haven't successfully sold the NST as viable device for my home club. The reason is primarily with the opposite problem of heat: dealing with rain. And there's also enough people around who had volunteered their Droid's and iPhones during our pilot period. Those devices felt a lot more responsive than the NST's, with the iPad coming out at the top of heap. Of course, I doubt I can get the club to shell out money for 12 or more iPads so we are pretty much on a holding pattern. We know we want to go electronic. We all feel that it's a major benefit and the way of the future. It's just a matter of finding the right device. (Some shooters apparently expressed disappointment that we'd gone back to paper last month when I wasn't around to do another electronically scored match.)

Ha! I always feel the shooters get "spoiled" with this whole electronic thing, in a good way of course.

One thing I still do on paper is the squadding, and it seems that since people no longer have to fill out a scoresheet, they get into that swing of not having to write anything down and I have to yell at everyone to squad up! lol

Volunteer devices get us through matches as well for the moment.

Yes that was a stage name from our weekly match, which is only a 3-stage match so we don't have issues with remembering what stage was where. For the monthly matches we proceed as Eric noted he would do, the simple solution of naming the stage "Stage [#] - [Name]".

Couple people on here have already noted issues with overheating resulting in freezing, low/no responsiveness in touchscreen, or flat out device failure, so keep it as cool as possible! Perhaps find a white cover for it to deflect sunlight, or simply keep it in the shade as often as possible. As far

as I know, NST's don't have overheat protection like Apple products do. (If an Apple product notices that it is getting too hot, it first dims the screen to reduce heat from the backlight. If that does not alleviate the temperature rise, it will shut itself off to prevent further damage.) Just giving you a

heads up, not trying to sell you an iPad ;)

Allan,

I certainly appreciate the feedback and something we will have to check out in more detail.

Ha! I always feel the shooters get "spoiled" with this whole electronic thing, in a good way of course.

One thing I still do on paper is the squadding, and it seems that since people no longer have to fill out a scoresheet, they get into that swing of not having to write anything down and I have to yell at everyone to squad up! lol

Volunteer devices get us through matches as well for the moment.

Allan,

How well can you see the Apple devices in the sun? I have an iPad that you can't view too well in direct sunlight. Maybe the smaller devices aren't as bad?

I have expressed this prior, but the ipod touches are great...very visible in direct sunlight even with polarized sunglasses....you can pick them up for $100 or less on ebay, add a $5 external backup battery and you are ready to go. We get 4 good field courses before they hit the 20% charge then just plug in the ext. battery. After 2 stages the external batteries do not even show a drop in charge. I do have the brightness on its highest setting so at the next match I am going to turn it down and see how much it will improve the battery life. The responsiveness of these units are outstanding and I like the size as they fit the hand perfect. I have a 7" tablet and personally I would not want to tote this thing around all day. I took the picture while holding the unit up so it is directly in the sun..

post-6763-0-93844400-1339334906_thumb.jp

...How well can you see the Apple devices in the sun? I have an iPad that you can't view too well in direct sunlight. Maybe the smaller devices aren't as bad?

It's an issue, but really how hard is it to turn your back to the sun and read it in the shadow cast by your body? Also, I've heard putting a matt screen protector on addresses a lot of the reflection issues. As far as practicality, the iPad is too large to conveniently hold all day long. Scoring on a stage is the purview of the small-screen devices, whereas the iPad makes an ideal competitor registration point and master device to which everyone else synchs.

p.s. And I think we can see as shown in the post above that the matt screen protector appears to be a visibility solution, as that one most definitely has a matt film on it.

Edited by wgnoyes