Brian N.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It is been quiet here since Area 1. So, I wonder what's cooking? :)

Don't want to push for anything, just curious if we could expect to see an automatic backup in a background to an external flash card to help going paperless and also custom (or IPSC) divisions?

Thanks. :)

Don't want to push for anything, just curious if we could expect to see an automatic backup in a background to an external flash card to help going paperless and also custom (or IPSC) divisions?

We've been pretty busy... the primary focus last couple weeks has been SASS (testing it at a large match and getting it ready for their World Championship End of Trail), Time Plus w/ points (for the Ironman), Steel Challenge (by popular demand), and a general Time Plus module that can be used for IDPA as well.

I was the instigator of the automatic backup of the SD card on the Palm system, so I do agree it is needed. And it will be done - but probably not til after Ironman.

Custom Divisions will come as part of the Multi-Gun effort - they vary them often.

Ken N.

We've been pretty busy... the primary focus last couple weeks has been SASS (testing it at a large match and getting it ready for their World Championship End of Trail), Time Plus w/ points (for the Ironman), Steel Challenge (by popular demand), and a general Time Plus module that can be used for IDPA as well.

I was the instigator of the automatic backup of the SD card on the Palm system, so I do agree it is needed. And it will be done - but probably not til after Ironman.

Custom Divisions will come as part of the Multi-Gun effort - they vary them often.

Ken N.

Steel Challenge:

requests. :):)

- Please allow for user-defined Stage names. We don't all run the big 8 stages. I might be helping with a 14 stage match in the next year of so.

- Please allow for user-defined equipment divisions. Such as, "J-frame, no holster"

:)

Ken N.

Steel Challenge:

- Please allow for user-defined Stage names. We don't all run the big 8 stages. I might be helping with a 14 stage match in the next year of so.

- Please allow for user-defined equipment divisions. Such as, "J-frame, no holster"

also multiple entries in the same dividision :eatdrink:

+1 on Flex and MarkR

We run some different steel stages, as some of our bays do not accommodate the standard SC Stages.

We also run "Centerfire Novice" division that allows centerfire users to start out of the holster, like Rimfire.

Mark K.

Ken N.

Steel Challenge:

Kyle - yes to both. I insisted on that as well. Steel Challenge will basically be time+, with a library of 8 stages, strings with worst one removal, and with the same stage design options that the regular time+ module has.

I would probably be helpful to start some threads on individual topics, but I'll stick this here for now.

We do pre-registration and print out all the registered peoples scoresheets prior to the match. At the match, we scratch any no-shows and fill out score sheets for walk-ons.

Ideally, we upload the pre-registrations to EzWinScore and then upload the registered people to Practiscore the night before, then add any walk-ons to PS.

The one remaining issue is squadding. Squadding in PractiScore is a bit cumbersome. EzWinScore has a drag and drop screen, a bit clunky but it works. With PractiScore, you have to edit each shooters record and assign them to a squad.

At this point, the best solution would seem to be bring a laptop to the match and do all the registration and squadding in EzWin and then upload that to Practiscore. Does anyone have a better solution?

What is the type of file transfer that Practiscore reads? txt? If 'txt,' then I may have a solution.

We have the same issue using Peter's Palm scoring system but to add some complexity to the mix, we shoot our local matches 4 times (twice both Saturday and Sunday). So to handle squadding for 4 matches, I wrote an Excel spreadsheet that allows me to do all of the squadding on one tab. This way it is a lot easier to manage the squads as I can see ALL squads and WHO is on each squad - to ensure I have the proper experience (RO and Palm users) on each squad. Once verified, I simply export to a txt file format that is then uploaded into the Palms.

To explain the process in a little more detail -

(1) I create a match within EZWin for which I register everyone and for every division they might shoot. So for our regular members/shooters, I register them all divisions and the resulting shooter numbers by division will be their number for each and every following match. For example: Bob Jones shoots Open and Limited only at local matches. I register him in the generic EZWin match file for both divisions giving him a shooter number of 15 for Open and 16 Limited. Going forward in each and every monthly match, he will register using one of those numbers depending on which division he wants to shoot.

(2) Once everyone is registered, I export the registration from EZWin and then import the data into my spreadsheet (all controlled by macros). I have a tab for squadding and I then enter the shooter number for each registered shooter. The spreadsheet through formulas will extract the name and division. Once all registered shooters are entered, I then export that data into the file format that the Palms scoring system reads. And ONLY the squadded shooters are exported - since it is possible to have hundreds of registered shooters but only have 50 at the match. This keeps data within the devices at a minimum.

(3) I then hit 'sync' on my Master Palm and all of the shooter data, by squad, is imported. At that point, the data is replicated to all of the Palms being used that day. And of course when you reverse the gears of the 'sync' and send the data from the Palms to the computer, EZWin then imports that data.

Understanding that this process may be slightly different than how Practiscore actually works, I would think the overall process is going to be very similar. If that sounds like it is the case, I can share what I have for someone to modify or we can work together and I will modify my file to fit Practiscore.....which may be something I need to do anyway.

Yeah. Use uspsa's online squadding. It will relieve you of all squadding headaches, and

can be used to verify competitors classifications before the match starts.

Online squadding cannot be used for L1 matches.

What is the type of file transfer that Practiscore reads? txt? If 'txt,' then I may have a solution.

Actually you have filled in a blank in an idea I already had. I do database design for a living. In fact, I already have a database that connects to both the master and match databases in EzWinScore to do a bunch of things including printing the scoresheets.

I can easily add a table for the registrations and create a procedure that will allow someone to just key in a competitors number (printed on the scoresheet) and a squad. That will update the record with the correct squad. Changes are just as easy. Once done, export and bada-bing.

Thank you for telling me something that I already knew but was too stupid to see!!

My two bits... most things in EzWS are hard for me. Maybe that's me. I usually have EzWS as the last step in my stats process.

At big matches squadding is done well in advance, in the registration system. It imports in directly. No muss. No fuss.

At club matches:

- Shooters sign in. Sign waivers, pay, so forth. You can:

- have a device for each squad on the table, register as appropriate. Here no squadding is needed. They just stay with the device in their squad.

An option here is to just have them register at the bays when they start.

- or register on one, or two, or three devices at the registration area. Then synch to all.

In the second case, squadding happens in a couple ways:

- when they register, pick the squad number. This can be tedious if not done when registering. Bad idea.

- INSTEAD, just send the devices out.

At the first stage they shoot, they can score their squad, and if they aren't in it use the "Move Shooter to this Squad" option.

I think the key is to take advantage of features PS provides and to not try to warp it into the paper way of doing things. Or more precisely, we've tried to make PS have the convenience of a paper sheet (just take to the bay, fill out once), but without the bummer of entering data for hours after a match.

Regards,

Ken N.

My two bits... most things in EzWS are hard for me. Maybe that's me.

There are a lot of things about EzWS that I would have done differently, but it works. And for me, it's much easier to do things in it than in PS. Too many years behind a keyboard I guess.

In any case, I went over things with two former MD's who are now my slaves assistants mentors yesterday and they seem fairly pleased with what they see. The final stumbling block we see is the sequence that things are found when you drill down from the main menu. The first thing found is Stage and this creates a problem. We have one bay with two stages - a speed shoot and the classifier. The shooter shoots these back to back and then they are both scored. There is no simple way to do this in PS if there is one device per squad (which is how we want to run the matches.

I suppose it depends on how you plan on using a device, but my preference for drill down would be Squad/Person/Stage. Actually my suggestion would be to have two ways of running the scoring: Squad/Person/Stage or Stage/Squad/Person so that the devices could easily be used either way.

Actually you have filled in a blank in an idea I already had. I do database design for a living. In fact, I already have a database that connects to both the master and match databases in EzWinScore to do a bunch of things including printing the scoresheets.

I can easily add a table for the registrations and create a procedure that will allow someone to just key in a competitors number (printed on the scoresheet) and a squad. That will update the record with the correct squad. Changes are just as easy. Once done, export and bada-bing.

Thank you for telling me something that I already knew but was too stupid to see!!

Hey - sometimes the answer to a difficult question is one that is too simple to initially consider. :goof:

My two bits... most things in EzWS are hard for me. Maybe that's me.

There are a lot of things about EzWS that I would have done differently, but it works. And for me, it's much easier to do things in it than in PS. Too many years behind a keyboard I guess.

In any case, I went over things with two former MD's who are now my slaves assistants mentors yesterday and they seem fairly pleased with what they see. The final stumbling block we see is the sequence that things are found when you drill down from the main menu. The first thing found is Stage and this creates a problem. We have one bay with two stages - a speed shoot and the classifier. The shooter shoots these back to back and then they are both scored. There is no simple way to do this in PS if there is one device per squad (which is how we want to run the matches.

I suppose it depends on how you plan on using a device, but my preference for drill down would be Squad/Person/Stage. Actually my suggestion would be to have two ways of running the scoring: Squad/Person/Stage or Stage/Squad/Person so that the devices could easily be used either way.

We plan to have a "paired" stage concept. Where, for instance you would design two stages, pair them, and they would show up as a pair in the stage list for scoring. [x] Score with _______ (pull down of other stages).

This is a direct solution to the problem of two stages in one bay, and seems (to me).

We worry about Squad/Person/Stage due to the potential to score the wrong stage and not notice until things are too far along.

Ken N.

We worry about Squad/Person/Stage due to the potential to score the wrong stage and not notice until things are too far along.

Ken N.

That reminds me of another suggestion... we have had a couple instances of either a reshoot or entering scores on the wrong competitors entry... a very small and out of the way button for "clear targets" would be helpful instead of having to press and hold each target to clear them if the need arises.

have i mentioned lately you guys rock??

Ken N.

That reminds me of another suggestion... we have had a couple instances of either a reshoot or entering scores on the wrong competitors entry... a very small and out of the way button for "clear targets" would be helpful instead of having to press and hold each target to clear them if the need arises.

have i mentioned lately you guys rock??

Thanks (-:

Yes, I keep wanting to raise the priority on the "clear" functionality. It should come in late June/July. We went "wide" in the recent efforts, trying to add sports/variants. So, multi-gun, time plus, time-plus w/points, IDPA, steel challenge, and SASS.

So, yes, on a reshoot, a clear current data would be useful.

And on a wrong entry, a "Move to -> list competitors on squad with no scores", or alternately a "Remember this score and clear", and "Paste Remembered" score.

Again, we prefer a direct solution to a specific issue. Like we did with walkons and shoot-throughs.

Ken N.

We plan to have a "paired" stage concept. Where, for instance you would design two stages, pair them, and they would show up as a pair in the stage list for scoring. [x] Score with _______ (pull down of other stages).

This is a direct solution to the problem of two stages in one bay, and seems (to me).

"Score with" will be useful for large matches, but in most cases probably overkill for a small local matches.

I was really hoping there would be something simpler, e.g. 'jump to' another stage function or just swipe screen left or right to switch to another stage. At the local matches we often run multiple stages 3 to 4 and depending on squad and RO, they may run competitor sequentially trough all of them, or split squad in half and half of people shoot two stages while other half shoot one, then they switch. So, some kind of fast navigation to stage would help.

"Score with" will be useful for large matches, but in most cases probably overkill for a small local matches.

I was really hoping there would be something simpler, e.g. 'jump to' another stage function or just swipe screen left or right to switch to another stage. At the local matches we often run multiple stages 3 to 4 and depending on squad and RO, they may run competitor sequentially trough all of them, or split squad in half and half of people shoot two stages while other half shoot one, then they switch. So, some kind of fast navigation to stage would help.

we will think on it....

Ken N.

Thank you! That'll speed our matches along quite a bit.

Steel Challenge:

also multiple entries in the same dividision :eatdrink:

We always mark our's with a designation of **reshoot**. (which I would show, but wouldn't directly count in the match standings)

+1 on what Flex said plus...

flexibility (no pun Flex) on number of stings still throwing out the longest time.

Longest time thrown out, regardless of number of strings entered. Good one.

We also run "Centerfire Novice" division that allows centerfire users to start out of the holster, like Rimfire.

Mark K.

Like our **reshoot** (as related above), we would flag a shooter with the tag of **no holster**. I would sort them in the scores, but wouldn't rank them in the standings. I never thought of giving them their own division. Not sure how that might work for us, as we would allow them into any of the equipment divisions. hmmm