Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Introducing PractiScore

Brian N.

...We are also looking at replacing, optionally, the score summary with a hex code that is simple/quick to write and can be used to recreate any score...

Hmm. You can also show a QR Code and competitor can take a picture of it using his own cell phone.

Yes - if they have one. We have to assume only what we can provide with the match.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

thoughts?

Cool. That looks good.

I've been researching printing approaches for some time now. It is solvable now using techniques like you did - a WiFi airport printer or Google Print Cloud, for example. They do require consistent range wide WiFi, which can be hard to achieve. Or it requires bay by bay WiFi, which is easy but can be expensive adding up routers, batteries, and printers. Also, there are currently no AirPrint thermal or mobile printers. I expect that will change. Well, scratch that, there is a newly announced one from Zebra but it is north of $600, and I'm not going to spring for 12 of those + 2 backups for an Area match.

I'm looking into a compromise, where we use wifi->rs232 adapters on $50 thermal printers, and then connect to them via adhoc connectivity. This provides a $100 printing solution per bay, if it works.

I'll keep you posted.

In the interim, we wait for AirPrint/iOS Bluetooth enabled printers, or require tight WiFi on each bay.

We are also looking at replacing, optionally, the score summary with a hex code that is simple/quick to write and can be used to recreate any score. It wouldn't human understandable but if presented with it the score could be verified. It could also be entered into a website, or mobile phone, or PractiScore and the actual hits shown. This would be quick to write, less error prone, with the main problem being the shooter can't look at it and know what it means.

Regards,

Ken N.

TY64062

are there plans to add a print button to any of the results screens? that would make the process a bit easier.

You can print, if there is an airprint printer on the network. On the iOS side. On the Android side.. still trying to sort out how to do it.

you can print from the "view results" area and not at the single shooter level., but not from the enter scores/review score page as i had shown in a previous post. i would like to see the ability of a print button on this screen....

photo.png

You can print, if there is an airprint printer on the network. On the iOS side. On the Android side.. still trying to sort out how to do it.

you can print from the "view results" area and not at the single shooter level., but not from the enter scores/review score page as i had shown in a previous post. i would like to see the ability of a print button on this screen....

photo.png

ah... misunderstood. Noted. We just submitted an update today, I'll see if we can't get this into the next one.

photo.png

ah... misunderstood. Noted. We just submitted an update today, I'll see if we can't get this into the next one.

cool... that would take all the complication out of my solution

Does Practiscore not create a new or edit the master registration file that you first import? ... I cannot find an updated one as a I dig through the app files on my iPhone.

A few more details and reasoning:

A few months ago I imported a master file to the iPhone (from the EWS master). Since then I've used it to score several matches, and that original database has grown with new shooters.

I assumed that PS was updating the original master file that I imported, but when I look at the "reg.txt" file in the application folder in the "Inbox" folder of PS, it is the same, unedited master file from months ago. Unless I'm simply not looking in the right folder, this now leads me to believe that PS uses a proprietary database to populate the newer shooters that have been added since the import.

What I wanted to do, was download the "new" master file (with all the new shooters that I've added to PS) to my computer, so that I could edit that file as a .tsv in Excel. That way I could much more quickly enter e-mail addresses, USPSA numbers, and make any other corrections through excel instead of having to individually edit shooters in the app.

Can someone tell me how to get the "new" master file from the app? Or if it is even possible?

Note that I'm using the app iFile to browse my phones internal files to peek around.

Practiscore currently keeps all the new registered shooters to itself. It's because EzWinScore's PALM interface is geared for scores primarily.

Even the EzWinScore's Match.Registration... Registration Import tab will only import the registered shooters from PALM into the current match, but not back into the masternames.db.

It would be a cool feature to have in Practiscore to have a masternames.db compatible export since it has all the information now. Only Ken will know how that feature ranks in priority with the other features he has planned.

Does Practiscore not create a new or edit the master registration file that you first import? ... I cannot find an updated one as a I dig through the app files on my iPhone.

A few more details and reasoning:

A few months ago I imported a master file to the iPhone (from the EWS master). Since then I've used it to score several matches, and that original database has grown with new shooters.

I assumed that PS was updating the original master file that I imported, but when I look at the "reg.txt" file in the application folder in the "Inbox" folder of PS, it is the same, unedited master file from months ago. Unless I'm simply not looking in the right folder, this now leads me to believe that PS uses a proprietary database to populate the newer shooters that have been added since the import.

What I wanted to do, was download the "new" master file (with all the new shooters that I've added to PS) to my computer, so that I could edit that file as a .tsv in Excel. That way I could much more quickly enter e-mail addresses, USPSA numbers, and make any other corrections through excel instead of having to individually edit shooters in the app.

Can someone tell me how to get the "new" master file from the app? Or if it is even possible?

Note that I'm using the app iFile to browse my phones internal files to peek around.

It's not possible.... yet. We've got the request on the feature list as well as the ability to replicate the club db on a device to a second, third or nth device. Right now that club db is stored in an internal database and it's never used to update anything. But we'll get there I'm sure...

Alan

It would be a cool feature to have in Practiscore to have a masternames.db compatible export since it has all the information now. Only Ken will know how that feature ranks in priority with the other features he has planned.

+1! A merge/purge utility would be nice, too.

BB

+1! A merge/purge utility would be nice, too.

BB

All ideas/suggestions/bugs welcome at:

https://practiscore.com/bugs/

It's a public facing trouble reporting system. Create an account, and suggest away!

Ken N.

I've been thinking on printing... and I welcome ideas/feedback.

- I'm working with an iPod cable company to get an Apple approved iOS to RS-232 Thermal Printer cable. This will mean PractiScore can print to inexpensive thermal printers. No timing on this, but I can probably get a prototype working in a couple weeks. After that it is just a matter of waiting for the Apple process. I'd expect printing setup cost, per bay, would be about $150 using this option.

- I had an epiphany in Target the other day. I rushed home to confirm it... Get the score summary up on PractiScore, put it on the scan plate of a cheap printer, scan/print it with one button. It works. Optimization is to cut out a piece of paper with a hole for just your device size, then less ink is wasted. Per bay... $40 bucks + some form to power it. Printers are becoming cheap ways of selling ink...

- Avoid printing... we could just encrypt the entire score into a hash code - like AZ45 HSII A711 This can represent ALL scoring data using

fancy compression. And it could be smaller if we accept it representing multiple possible scores (in the unreasonable realm). In that scenario, we simply write down the code - using it as a score receipt, after approving on the ipad. If the code is different, the score was changed, if the score is lost the code recreates. It's quick and easy to write, and we write a log on each stage, the user can at their option copy it down. If they write jibberish, it won't decode. This still has hand printing, but easier, quicker, and less info to write.

Ken N.

I like the hash code idea, but then that's because I'm a geek and I understand how they work and I trust them. It's simple. It's easy. The thing is with the hash code you'll have to pick an output alphabet that has no possibility of mistaking a letter O for a zero, a lowercase L for a 1, a Z for a 2, an uppercase A for a 4, an S for a 5, a C for G or a 6, a T for a 7, a B for 8, an F for a P, a K for an X, a U for a V, etc. Basically, you could have a doctor of 30 years write down his hash code like a prescription, and you don't need a pharmacist of 40 years to be able to read it.

Edited by Skydiver

I've been thinking on printing... and I welcome ideas/feedback.

- I'm working with an iPod cable company to get an Apple approved iOS to RS-232 Thermal Printer cable. This will mean PractiScore can print to inexpensive thermal printers. No timing on this, but I can probably get a prototype working in a couple weeks. After that it is just a matter of waiting for the Apple process. I'd expect printing setup cost, per bay, would be about $150 using this option.

- I had an epiphany in Target the other day. I rushed home to confirm it... Get the score summary up on PractiScore, put it on the scan plate of a cheap printer, scan/print it with one button. It works. Optimization is to cut out a piece of paper with a hole for just your device size, then less ink is wasted. Per bay... $40 bucks + some form to power it. Printers are becoming cheap ways of selling ink...

- Avoid printing... we could just encrypt the entire score into a hash code - like AZ45 HSII A711 This can represent ALL scoring data using

fancy compression. And it could be smaller if we accept it representing multiple possible scores (in the unreasonable realm). In that scenario, we simply write down the code - using it as a score receipt, after approving on the ipad. If the code is different, the score was changed, if the score is lost the code recreates. It's quick and easy to write, and we write a log on each stage, the user can at their option copy it down. If they write jibberish, it won't decode. This still has hand printing, but easier, quicker, and less info to write.

Ken N.

personally, i would like to see printing stay with the wireless side... the program already lends itself to ease of use and mobility... there are enough programs out there that will handle wireless printing to nearly any printer..

the setup we have been looking at is an inexpensive laser printer over wifi.... shooter is scored, scores sent to the printer and shooter can pick up at their leisure. printer is going for $100 and gets about 2500 sheets per cartrige... replacement cartriges on ebay are about 15 bucks a piece.

im no programmer but it seems like it should be pretty straight forward to just add a print option to the review score screens.

I should have clarified that I meant printing for L2/L3 matches. I don't think club matches need printing, or paper summaries at all, assuming the system is used correctly.

Printing to a distant stat shack for shooter backup wouldn't suffice for L3 level concerns.

Ken N.

I should have clarified that I meant printing for L2/L3 matches. I don't think club matches need printing, or paper summaries at all, assuming the system is used correctly.

Printing to a distant stat shack for shooter backup wouldn't suffice for L3 level concerns.

Ken N.

now that you say that.... have you seen those littler thermal printers that meter maids use? hang off a belt or shoulder strap.... just a thought about keeping them mobile and not having to constantly plug and unplug.

Ken N.

now that you say that.... have you seen those littler thermal printers that meter maids use? hang off a belt or shoulder strap.... just a thought about keeping them mobile and not having to constantly plug and unplug.

Those would be terrific, if the mobile devices talked to them. That's why I'm looking at an iOS to RS232 serial interface cable.

Yes - the cable we are working on would work with those.

Integrated battery would be nice.

If I am not mistaken some of those are bluetooth/wifi printers...

I left off that we are also investigating using the existing USB cable that comes with every one of these mobile devices to drive a thermal label printer:

http://www.amazon.com/Label-Printer-Thermal-180dpi-quot/dp/B003IZFZCC/ref=pd_sim_sbs_k_5

This cost $20 to $30 bucks, works off AA batteries, and has a USB port. In this model we would either print, in-line, the summary, or the hex hash code mentioned above.

The main problem, as usual is Apple. USB programming is simple, common, and unfortunately, a protected activity in iOS.

Android, not so big a problem.

Ken N.