Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

I think I'm gonna have one of my 5" 625 cut to 4"

71Commander

I'm preparing for my move back to east TN. It seems that IDPA is more popular than USPSA.

I have two identical 5" 625's. All of the work to shoot games with them has already been done. Gary Cuttitta did the work on both guns.

At any rate, I need a 4" 625.

My options are:

1- Buy a 4", then do the make over. I can get a new 625PC for 800 out the door.

2- Sending it back to S&W for a barrel replacement. Doing this, I would get the 5" barrel back and could sell it.

3- Sending it to SDM and having it cut to a 4". About 300.00 if I go this route.

I'm leaning toward the order of options as 2,1 then 3.

Any thoughts?

buy yourself a 4" s&w in 38 with speed loaders--you dont need a 45--idpa power factor is somewhere around 105-so a used 686 would be great..my $.02..

you could even have it cut for moon clips

Edited by EEH

buy yourself a 4" s&w in 38 with speed loaders--you dont need a 45--idpa power factor is somewhere around 105-so a used 686 would be great..my $.02..

My 4" M67 no dash.

b9766974.jpg

My 4" 686 W/ no lock.

1150866e.jpg

In the interest of being able to switch from IDPA to USPSA and back easier, I would suggest staying with .45 ACP and the 625 modified by having a shorter barrel fitted to it as 71Comamander is considering in his post.

As far as the suggestions above from EEH, cutting a revolver in .38 for moonclips (and using it with moonclips in IDPA) would put the revolver into ESR. That division requires a power factor of 165,000 and not the 105,000 power factor. It would kind of defeat the purpose of changing from a .45 ACP revolver to a .38/.357 caliber revolver if you then went and used it with moonclips.

I presume that 71Commander wants to still participate in USPSA and IDPA, and therefore I think that keeping as much of his gear the same for both would be to his benefit.

Given the popularity of the 5" 625 in USPSA, I would think you could easily sell the 5" and buy a 4", or find someone with a tuned 4" who would be willing to trade for a tuned 5". Cutting a perfectly good 5" barrel seems like such a waste.

In the interest of being able to switch from IDPA to USPSA and back easier, I would suggest staying with .45 ACP and the 625 modified by having a shorter barrel fitted to it as 71Comamander is considering in his post.

As far as the suggestions above from EEH, cutting a revolver in .38 for moonclips (and using it with moonclips in IDPA) would put the revolver into ESR. That division requires a power factor of 165,000 and not the 105,000 power factor. It would kind of defeat the purpose of changing from a .45 ACP revolver to a .38/.357 caliber revolver if you then went and used it with moonclips.

I presume that 71Commander wants to still participate in USPSA and IDPA, and therefore I think that keeping as much of his gear the same for both would be to his benefit.

Blueridge,,I did not know that,,for that reason I would shoot the 38 with speed loaders,,like another guy we all know,and very well I might add :roflol:

I shoot a tuned 686 now and enjoy it a lot but have been thinking of switching to 625 or 610 if I could ever find one in this area that doesn't require giving up my first born. (I know, I could buy one off the net but shipping and tuning costs add up too fast.)

I say sell your 5" and buy a 4".

JMHO

Richard

Given the popularity of the 5" 625 in USPSA, I would think you could easily sell the 5" and buy a 4", or find someone with a tuned 4" who would be willing to trade for a tuned 5". Cutting a perfectly good 5" barrel seems like such a waste.

x1000000

A new 4" barrel only runs about $114 @ midway. Unfortunately they're back ordered until March.

Mark,

Let's not do anything silly, like cut off the barrel on a precious and rare 5" 625, OK? You're not even in Tennessee yet--there will be plenty of opportunities for silly stuff when you get down there with all them hilljacks.

;):devil:

Hello: Get a model 66 and shoot SSR with 108 PF loads. Mine shoots so soft it is like cheating :cheers: I would buy another 625 if you want a ESR revolver or maybe even shoot a single stack in CDP. I would get moved then check out a match or 2 before I would see what you want to shoot. Being the one guy in a division kinda sucks. Thanks, Eric

Hello: Get a model 66 and shoot SSR with 108 PF loads. Mine shoots so soft it is like cheating :cheers: I would buy another 625 if you want a ESR revolver or maybe even shoot a single stack in CDP. I would get moved then check out a match or 2 before I would see what you want to shoot. Being the one guy in a division kinda sucks. Thanks, Eric

See post 4. :lol:

Edited by 71Commander

If your post disappeared from this topic it is because you violated our rules about sale/swaps/classified type transactions outside of the classified area. In short, no buying or selling at all is allowed in this area. If you have any questions feel free to pm me.

-Larry Drake

The Moderating Team