Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

black post vs. fiber optic

More detailed information here: http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=142607&view=findpost&p=1602832

A fiber optic doesn't necessarily mean less accuracy. You just want to make sure that the size of the fiber optic isn't so big that causes light bloom to make the edges of the front sight indistinguishable. I use a .40 fiber optic to help me track the front sight, but there is enough black around the dot that I can see the edges of my front sight.

• 2 years later...

Speed comes with practice no matter what sight you have.

You can't beat a fiber optic when shooting unpainted 5" steel targets in the woods when it's raining.

When you get old enough you will get either a fiber optic or a red dot sight............or just quit shooting.

Another fan of fiber optic. I think that for competition, they help you pick up the front sight quicker. For a lot of the shooting sports like IDPA, USPSA, & 3-Gun, you are not really trying to achieve bullseye accuracy, so I think the fiber optic is well suited in those types of competition. If I were doing some sort of bullseye competition, a plain black front might work out better for that.

What RPatton said. I like my black sights but with my older eyes I need that fiber optic to draw my vision to that sight. I can probably still shoot more accurately with the black sight post but not near as fast...and I'm not that fast anyway.

As mentioned earlier about the smaller fiber optics , I could not agree more. But , what I have been wondering about is a small fiber optic (.40) in a .115 sight or .125 . Usually the smaller the fiber optic , the blade with seems to shrink as well, and the wider front sights have larger FO.

My logic is a tiny FO would still draw the eye, but the wider front sight would be more black to see for my aging eyes on longer shots.

• 1 month later...

There is a lot of information on this subject in this forum. Actually, until this post, I recall most people prefer black, myself included. I've actually taken the fiber optic off of everything I own, no regrets.

I come from an open gun background IPSC. Now I'm shooting Standard and find a fiber distracting. I'm 45, and find a black front post fine, for both speed and accuracy. With a fiber I either shoot over the top of everything or notice it "wash" targets out.

size the sights right and you should be good

The FO is definitely faster, and if you make the front sight small enough,

it loses nothing in accuracy for action shooting - get a 0.08" front sight

and use it like a dot on a C-More - it's GREAT.

Don't use the edges or

top of your black front sight - just use the 0.08" "dot". :cheers:

It all depends on what I am shooting as to what I prefer. If I am shooting USPSA with all tan targets, I prefer a black post. If I am shooting Bianchi Cup where the bullseye is all black, I prefer the fiber optic to help break up the black x ring and my sights. Personal preference for me.

• 1 month later...