Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Big matches for newbs?

two shoes

Background:

So I am a relative newb at all of this fun. I registered for this site back in '09, shot my first match one year ago ('10) and have now shot in 5 matches so far.

The question:

Do many "D" class shooters show up to compete? I am talking majors/ sectionals and the like. Looks like a very different level of stage design from the local matches and a lot of fun...

Background:

So I am a relative newb at all of this fun. I registered for this site back in '09, shot my first match one year ago ('10) and have now shot in 5 matches so far.

The question:

Do many "D" class shooters show up to compete? I am talking majors/ sectionals and the like. Looks like a very different level of stage design from the local matches and a lot of fun...

Shooting a major will help a lot depending on how you approach it. I really wish I had shot some majors much earlier in my shooting. It will help you mature as a shooter in several areas. I'd suggest the RO class as a good step before going to a major.

Thanks guys for the replies. An RO class is in my near future. I had some questions answered at my last match and that suggestion was made, even if I do not RO, it would be a great learning experience. I'll be looking for one here in Colorado soon.

Do it. My 3rd match was the Monster Match and was my 1st major after competing in USPSA for a month. My 10th match was the Factory Gun Classic as my 2nd major. Majors aren't really all that different from a local match, except they are run a bit more strictly when it comes to time management. You will still be in your own little squad rotating through the stages like any other match. There's just a lot more other squads and probably more stages than you see at the local match.

Edited by ErichF

shot my first match one year ago and have now shot 5 matches

Do many "D" class shooters show up Looks like a very different level of stage design from the local matches

2 shoes, there's a few differences between local and Area Matches:

1. rules are vigorously enforced (DQ's)

2. most people on your squad will be A & B shooters (might have a C or Master)

3. some COF's are "memory courses" - required to memorize where the targets are in advance

Suggestions: work on basics/rules before you go; don't interfere with the A & B shooters, who

are competing vigorously; get there the day before and memorize the COF's; bring

extra gun or parts; pre-check your ammo (chamber check & PF).

Have a ball. You're going to learn a LOT.

Jack

A major match will let you see some of the best shooters in the sport and is a great motivator. I'm a D shooter and I shot one State a couple years ago and plan on doing one or two this year.

At the 2010 SC Sectional I was only ahead of the person who DQ'd, so it was a real ego buster. It took me a while to get over myself and realize that given the limited practice I put in and the hardware issues I was facing my score was perfectly normal. Once I quit whining and moping I remembered all the awesome people I met, the national level shooters who thanked the RO staff for our work, and the fun. I almost DQ'd the stage CRO!

If you're a D shooter accept the fact that you'll be stomped by teen girls like Sarah Irish and geezers like Dick Cole. They've certainly run circles around me and yet are awsome people to talk to.

Just do it, heal your ego, and get right back in the saddle.

Leam

Remember how much fun your first match was? Remember how much you learned? It will be that feeling all over again! Go for it! There will be plenty of shooters from every class if its a large Sectional or Area match. Do make sure you have a firm grasp of the rules and all your equipment is division complient. While it will be tough, try to not make a huge deal out of it. Try to think of it as a regular match, just with more shooters and more stages.

Think of big matches as classes. You'll get a chance to see some of the best shooters shoot, will probably get some coaching from better shooters, and will have the opportunity to make a bunch of new friends who can help you out as you develop as a shooter.

And, of course, the stages tend to be bigger and there are more of them. Just keep your expectations in check, and you'll have a blast.

Once you have a few club matches under your belt, I highly recommend trying a big match if it's close enough to drive to on match day. If you have to pay for a flight and/or hotel room, I might wait a little longer, depending on your free time and budget.

Go for it. My third or fourth USPSA match ever was the 2010 Louisiana Gator Classic. I didn't have enough matches to get classified, so I was listed as Unclassified. It was a blast. I did really bad because of brain farts on some of thestages, and I did pretty wll (for me) on some stagfes but they were all fun. Shortly after that I was classified as a D. I shot the 2011 Gator as a D, and when the results of the Gator were posted on teh 14th of the next moneth, low and behold, I was bumped to C. Although almost every shooter I met was way better than me, they were all great people. I met Cocobolo from ths site at the 2010 Gator, and for 2011 I was squadded with some guys from Mobile that I met at their range. Go for it, you will not regret it.

One of the great things about USPSA is you compete against others in your class and division. D shooter thru GM, you compete against your peers. Doesn't really matter who you squad with as long as you remember to shoot YOUR match.

Shooting YOUR match is the key though. If you try to keep up with B shooters and above, you may crash and burn. So remember, no matter what class you are or what match you attend, shoot YOUR match.

Go! Keep quiet and observe. You might read the rule book before you go. Safety first. You can make it a cerebral experience if you are prepared, or an embarrasing disaster if you do not prepare. Failing to plan is planning to fail! Your goal should be to safely have fun and observe.

Red, you win the prize for most Cliche` post of the year :cheers:

BTW, "keep quiet and observe"? Really? This should be a social as much as a competitive venue. Don't just sit in the corner quietly, get involved, ask questions and participate.

Sounds like you're ready to go. If you can, find a 'veteran shooter' who is willing to take you under their wing and squad together.

I waited too long before entering a 'big match'. When I went, I said, "I should have gone sooner".

Learn the rules and be safe and you'll enjoy the match.

:cheers:

Shooting YOUR match is the key though. If you try to keep up with B shooters and above, you may crash and burn. So remember, no matter what class you are or what match you attend, shoot YOUR match.

Great advice. There's some more good advice about this in a thread Lugnut started before shooting with JJ at Area 7, but I can't find it at the moment.

Red, you win the prize for most Cliche` post of the year :cheers:

BTW, "keep quiet and observe"? Really? This should be a social as much as a competitive venue. Don't just sit in the corner quietly, get involved, ask questions and participate.

This is just my style. Some folks don't have the ability to "keep quiet and observe". In the second big match, I asked a ton of questions and asserted myself. I just used the first big match as a baseline experience. 90% of communication goes beyong the spoken word. I hate chatterboxes in a big match.

Edited by Red Ryder

• 3 weeks later...

I have yet to shoot a big match either. Though my biggest obstacle is the ratio of work/free time, I am still nervous and exited at the idea of competing in a big match. I am also a little curious how it works, if you are a lower class shooter can a better shooter knock you out or is it whoever gets their registration and fees in first?