Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Big matches for newbs?

two shoes

The third match I shot was the Single Stack Classic, which is now the SS Nationals. I learned a lot during that match, met and watched some top shooters, and got some really good advice.

Be safe, and let your squadmates know you're a newbie and welcome advice.

Once your app is accepted and check cashed, you're in... You don't get bumped by better shooters, they are SOL if they didn't sign up in time.

Generally you'll see the shooters with more investment in the sport, so shooters with more time under their belts, but don't let that hold you back. If anything in my experience, the better shooters on the squad will try to help you out as much as they can without blowing their own game plans.

This goes double for things like the IPSC World Shoot. I'm bummed I skipped the opportunity to go to the first two I could have.

Do it! It'll be a good experience for you. I shot in the Hawaii State Championship Match last year with only 5 months of IPSC/USPSA shooting experience. Just go, be safe and have a fun time. I highly suggest you don't drink any alcohol the night before though. My big mistake! LOL :cheers: GOOD LUCK!!

Background:

So I am a relative newb at all of this fun. I registered for this site back in '09, shot my first match one year ago ('10) and have now shot in 5 matches so far.

The question:

Do many "D" class shooters show up to compete? I am talking majors/ sectionals and the like. Looks like a very different level of stage design from the local matches and a lot of fun...

There's usally quite a few "D" and "C" class shooters at the big matches. The big matches are a great place to pick up a lot of shooting knowledge. Shooting at the big matches helps with "nerves" at the local matches as well. It'll really help your progress as a shooter.

I've only shot 3 USPSA matches and 1 Steel Challenge match but I just signed up for the Chatanika Ironman (Alaska Steel Challenge Championship), and to top it off I found out I'm going to be squadded with Mike Seeklander. Should be a great learning experience for me.