Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2012 CMMG Midwest 3 Gun Championships

• Replies 364
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Final complaint - Doctor tells me that I tore the calf muscle in my right leg and an MRI tomorrow will let us know if surgery can be avoided.

You up for a round of a little stick fighting? :sight:

By the way, did you find our presents? :devil:

With all seriousness, I hope a surgery will not be necessary. Looking forward to shooting with you again next month. We'll have a little something just for you.

Edited by -=VILLAMOR=-

THE GOOD: I loved the match. Ken, Larry, and RO crew did an outstanding job as usual. I enjoyed the stages even though the performance I put on didn't show it. I really liked the different mind games some of the stages played. Great fun.

THE BAD: Because I sucked terribly at the flying clays stage I will complain that the penalty points were too high. In the interest of full disclosure if I had burned the stage down I would have thought everything was fine, so take that complaint as it was intended (whining). Also watching the iron sighted shooters in our squad having to shoot at virtually impossible to see targets on Stage #5 and Stage #7 due to the way the sun was shining on the target presentation (I know, who would have thought anyone would complain about the sun shining too much at the Midwest 3-gun) hopefully these small complaints can be addressed in the future.

Final complaint - Doctor tells me that I tore the calf muscle in my right leg and an MRI tomorrow will let us know if surgery can be avoided.

Squad 13 was a hoot to shoot with. Thanks.

I want to start by saying this was my favorite MW3GC yet. I have to agree with Brian about stage 9 though. It seems the scoring has changed a couple times over the last year. In my opinion, a match should be set up where one stage cant win or lose a match. This is the second year in a row where penalties (or bonus) on one single stage has had a huge impact on the final standings of the match. Shoot stage 9 in the morning....you are hosed. Shoot it in the evening....not bad at all. Add to it 100 seconds worth of penalties for disapearing targets, and it can make all the difference. It was just like the one minute bonus/penalty long range rifle last year. That being said, I will definitely be back next year!!!!

Brian I wish you well with the calf muscle! That's a real bummer. Let me know if you need the number of my contact over at hoveround scooters.

From my standpoint there were only two things I would do to improve for next year.

The first issue was with separating the upper A/B zone and not allowing single shots in the B zone as well as the A zone. Most 3 gun matches treat that A/B zone as an A zone. Shooting Heavy Optics for my first time with limited mag capacity and very expensive ammo had me wishing all weekend I could put one in the A/B and call it good. Small gripe but something to consider.

Second thing was the Failure To Neutralize on paper meaning one B,C, or D hit and a miss counted as a 10 second penalty rather than only 5 seconds. If you failed to get two anywhere or 1 A your second hit counted for nothing. Typically it's 5 second penalty for FTN, 10 seconds for Unhit or two misses and 15 seconds if you fail to engage a target completely, isn't it?

Oh and a 3rd wish more than an issue would be to stretch those 5" circular shotgun targets into 6" circles or even 5" squares. That or cut the stand bases down like the 3 Gun Nation Pro series is doing to their stands so that spinning a target is next to impossible and they fall when hit with an open choke or even a LM. I borrowed four different chokes to a multitude of Shooters mostly newbies because everyone was having trouble knocking over that small steel.

Edited by Jesse Tischauser

THE GOOD: I loved the match. Ken, Larry, and RO crew did an outstanding job as usual. I enjoyed the stages even though the performance I put on didn't show it. I really liked the different mind games some of the stages played. Great fun.

THE BAD: Because I sucked terribly at the flying clays stage I will complain that the penalty points were too high. In the interest of full disclosure if I had burned the stage down I would have thought everything was fine, so take that complaint as it was intended (whining). Also watching the iron sighted shooters in our squad having to shoot at virtually impossible to see targets on Stage #5 and Stage #7 due to the way the sun was shining on the target presentation (I know, who would have thought anyone would complain about the sun shining too much at the Midwest 3-gun) hopefully these small complaints can be addressed in the future.

Ouch on the calf muscle! Always a pleasure to see you at the match. There are worse things than clays that happen at a match. For Instance:

To eveyone I saw and talked with at the match.....

Thanks for the well wishes, and encouragement. I've been away from this sport way too long. I had one of the best times at a match in recent years and zero pressure made it fantastic. I've seen a lot of things that have changed, mainly these young guys that can run and shoot.....the eye hand coordination is awesome to watch!! It was an honor to be some great shooters (old friends and new) on squad 16.

It's great to be back with a crowd of people I remember oh so well. 3 gun competitors are the best people in the world!!

Oh, yeah.....Ken, you put on a very good match!! Thank you!

Tim

Thanks to everyone for their kind comments. You are the reason we do this match. It is not for the super pros, it is for the everyday Joe's!

Ken

Thanks Ken! There are a LOT more of us "joes", than there are pros! :roflol:

Are the final results going to be posted on-line somewhere? :surprise:

Thanks for all the work that so many put in to make the match happen. The target painting crew was a home run.

I liked all the stages and all the scoring, I don't much care for that much shooting off a platform though, but I understand why with the rain history.

I pick the wrong match & wrong time to run a test on changing my shooting style. The old me would have done much better.

It's cool that matches do not try and copy each other and I enjoy the differences.

I really like the shoot - no-shoot target sets. It would have been cool to see a ( handgun shotgun ) first gun option for stage #1

I liked the game at the end, But with the fast pace I did not get to hear the scores for the teams. It would be real nice to hear how every team placed. It can't be a game with out a score.

I did not like the metal frame on metal targets that added dark shadows.

I like an alternating division winner / prize table Call-up better

I dislike soft foot fault areas.

Thanks for a good match that sent us home with satisfaction.

Jamie Foote

Edited by AlamoShooter

Another great match. Thanks Ken, Larry and staff. I believe I have shot all but one of these and I believe this was the best overall. I liked the technical portion of the stages....tested a lot of shooting skills and stage management.

Would like to see different stands for the shotgun targets that wouldnt allow turning and/or flying into the pistol targets to score a no-shoot penalty. Prefer hard foot faults. Would be OK with me if we never see the spinner again ( I spun it in 4)also the trap clays (I hit 6).

Really liked the rifle/shotgun woods stage and the Jeep stage. Long range stage was a nice test.

No matter how you shoot...... can't really out-run 2 catastrophic double-feeds.

Thanks again for 'no black bags'!

Ouch on the calf muscle! Always a pleasure to see you at the match. There are worse things than clays that happen at a match. For Instance:

Now that was funny Albert, should we all pitch in and buy Chad some tools and thread locker? Good luck with the calf Brian.

Oh and a 3rd wish more than an issue would be to stretch those 5" circular shotgun targets into 6" circles or even 5" squares. That or cut the stand bases down like the 3 Gun Nation Pro series is doing to their stands so that spinning a target is next to impossible and they fall when hit with an open choke or even a LM. I borrowed four different chokes to a multitude of Shooters mostly newbies because everyone was having trouble knocking over that small steel.

I ran a Carlson's Light Mod, with the exception of stage 1 where I put my Mod choke in, I didn't have any trouble with any of the targets. Everything came off the stands, nobody spun, texas star went down like normal. Used #6 3" phesant loads for the spinner and turned in 4 shots. I think they're will still be targets that spin for some shooters even with small bases. Solid hits will take them down.

Overall it was a great match, I did not shoot the '10 or '11, but I participated as an RO the 4 previous years, and this one was smooth and enjoyable. I'm looking forward to next years match!

Polytech

That video of the scope falling off is a perfect example of why I love 3-gun. Adapt, improvise, overcome, but most of all - Have Fun!

I saw everything from zip ties used to hold belts on pants, to leopard print duct tape used to form a sun shade on scopes prior to shooting stage #7. Awesome.

I also forgot to mention the prize table. I was lucky enough to talk with James Cassanova about his "Starlight" case just after the match ended. Really a nice setup that I thought I could put to good use. Surprise! What was laying all over the prize table but at least a dozen Starlight cases. Lucky enough to get one of those.

Thanks to all of the great sponsors that made up an awesome prize table, and I really liked the clear plastic bags.

That really bites and I genuinely wish you the best.

I tore mine at a match the first week of Feb and it's only been in the past 2 - 3 weeks I've really been able to get back in the game.

They are on the website. No team scores though.

I can only open the Iron sight div

It is an .xls spreadsheet, look for the division tabs at the bottom and click on them individually. Hope this helps....

ericm

Thanks to Ken, Larry, all RO's and the young men helping paint and setup on each stage. I enjoyed this match a lot, have shot it 2 years before and I must say it was nice to be able to keep everything dry this year. I liked the challenge of the shotgun and pistol targets damn near sharing the same target stand, wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. It was kind of a "what choke do you dare run" for the shotgun part of the match to me. My shotgun saw everything from cylinder for stage 9 to full on 1 and 2. I can't really think of any complaints about the match. (except my inability to hit anything with a rifle) The penalties, flying clays, 4" plates that spin sideways (I didn't see it once), 1 hit in B not counting, was the same for everyone. If it had been different, stage times might have been lower, but they would have been lower for everyone.

Chad, sorry about your scope, I heard about it and now I got to see it. Nice job sucking it up and moving on.

I did also see one shooter get surprised by his turkey loads and almost fell off the platform on the spinner stage. If you have it on video, yes, thats me laughing in the backround. :cheers: