Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Compensator on a bullet?

DarthMuffin

I just don't see this being of any measurable advantage other than on paper,..

the bullet leaves way before any effect can be made to counter recoil it is just "pre-venting" some ( very little) gas before it uncorks...

Comps work by gas column expanding and striking against baffles, not so much venting, which makes room for gas on subsequent shots IMHO

Still as you have pointed out an interesting exercise in mental math

John

"creating a muzzle brake effect perfectly symmetrical"

My thought would be, if the muzzle brake effect was "perfectly symmetrical" how would that make any difference in recoil? We need a wall or two, like a baffle in a comp. or we need a vertical port to exhaust the gasses don't we?

I think it's hogwash....A way for someone to make a killing by selling a few hinky trinkets, to people who think that it may help them.

Think about this....What happens when one of those perfectly symmetrical, calculated holes fills up with powder, or powder residue, as it's going down the pipe. When it gets to the end of the barrel, say only 2 of the 3 (or however many holes there are), are venting gas? Think it's gonna fly straight?

Horsesheet...redirection of gas pressure after the bullet leaves the barrel could not affect recoil. Someone will say the bullet is still in the barrel for some time after the "compensating" holes are exposed but as the holes are equally spaced around the bullet any potential benefit gained would be offset by the downward pressure of the opposite hole(s).

Lee

simple physics dictates that the thinking behind this design is flawed. When the bullet passes from the muzzle enough to clear these "compensating holes" the gas will escape in a somewhat circular pattern. The only resistance these gasses will experience will be the resistance between the expelled gas and air which would be minimal to begin with, but being in a complete ring around the bullet would neither decrease or increase recoil. IE compensated bullets belong in the same pile at vw bug radiators, 2x4 stretchers, and diesel spark plugs.

From reading the page I don't think they are claiming the holes in the billet do as much as it nears the end of the barrel as they do before it actually enters the barrel.

I spent more time than I want to admit making my wife a set of Montana Gold 55gr earings a couple of years ago. This would have been much easier!

It will reduce recoil because those bullets are going to be really light in any given caliber because of all the holes cut into a non-lead solid alloy bullet

They list them by weight... they'll weigh the same, or are you talking about the size of the bullet vs it's mass?

2. Written by someone for whom English is a second (or third) language, physics 4th or 5th language.

Exactly. I started reading and immediately came to the conclusion this is not real at all. Terrible grammar and usage, etc...