Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

best powders for accuracy 9mm Luger

p5200

I've got my dies coming this week and need to pick up some powder and primers. All suggestions on powders and primers will be greatly appreciated I am new to reloading pistols but, I do have three loading manuals I use for rile loads. Will be shooting for groups mostly and have 115 gr. bullets coming also. I have picked up a bottle of Accurate NO.7 today and CCI 500 small pistol primers. I was told on another forum Winchester 231 was a good choice but, all opinions are welcome. Thanks! :cheers:

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Major or minor? What type of gun? Thanks

Well, I might as well confess being new to pistol shooting I'm not sure what minor/major means. :blush: The pistol is a M&P 40 with a KKM 40-9mm conversion barrel which is what I plan to load for. Thanks! :cheers:

I use Winchester 231/Hodgdon HP38 for all of my 9MM and 40S&W pistols (G17/G34 and G23/G35). I use Montana Gold 124 JHP for 9MM, and Montana Gold 180 JHP for 40S&W. I use Winchester Small Pistol Primers (WSP). I use range brass for both 9MM and 40S&W.

I have used this site (http://data.hodgdon.com/main_menu.asp) to look up sample loads and OAL. I usually use Lymans manual first.

Hope this info is useful to you.

I plan to pick up another bottle of powder tomorrow from a different shop who has more of a selection. I'll keep track of the suggested powders from you experienced pistol loaders and pick one of those. All I have loaded so far has been for my rifles and I don't have much experience shooting pistols yet either. Thanks very much folks keep em coming! :cheers:

In my experience:

Silouette, Power Pistol and WSF work the best for accuracy loads in 9mm.

I would try N320 and N330 as well, depending on the bullet you select, particularly for USPSA or IDPA.

Of the powders you have mentioned, I have seen really good accuracy using WSF. On the other hand, N320, though it meters well and it is a really clean, it is not the most accurate powder I have ever tried.

In my experience:

Silouette, Power Pistol and WSF work the best for accuracy loads in 9mm.

I would try N320 and N330 as well, depending on the bullet you select, particularly for USPSA or IDPA.

Of the powders you have mentioned, I have seen really good accuracy using WSF. On the other hand, N320, though it meters well and it is a really clean, it is not the most accurate powder I have ever tried.

For the games, under a 147 gr Zero JHP, it's accurate enough. Not bullseye accurate, true.

I have had real good accuracy with SOLO 1000 and BBI 130gr moly coated bullets. Feed well, and a friend of mine posted better accuracy with this combo than with factory out of my G17. I only shoot this so I can't say for me. Will shoot tight groups at 25yds. Within 3" IIRC.

The term Major or Minor refers to power factor for IPSC competition, the term power factor is also used for IDPA shooting but there is no minor or major distinction. Power factor is simply the weight of the bullet X it's velocity (divided by 1000 for IPSC). To make a power factor of 125 with a 115 grain bullet it would have to have a velocity of 1087 fps. This is a good baseline number to calculate for your reloads, even if you don't shoot competitively, as any gun should be able to handle a round of 125 power factor.

As far as powder goes there are more different opinions regarding which is best and why that you can go nuts trying to figure it all out. The powder you have to start out with, AA #7, is just fine, and it has the added benefit of being able to spot a double charge of powder easily.

Craig

As far as pure accuracy goes, Angus Hobdell did some work a while back to determine what the most accurate load he could gin up for Production was - he found N350 to be best. Unfortunately, the recoil was a little stout, so he ended up using N320 as the best compromise for his situation.... Just FWIW ;) "Most accurate" may not be the best overall load....

I have used AA7 and WW231 in 9mm with good results for many years now. Both are good choices for 9mm IMHO. I have also used AA5 and HS6 to good result in 9mm.

You will be best served IMHO by just sticking to the powder you already have to start (AA7) and get some pistol reloading experience under your belt before you start looking to perfect a load recipe for your gun. At this point loading something that is functionally reliable and doesn't kick like a mule is where you should be looking to start here.

I recommend getting started using a 147gr FMJ or JHP loaded to 1.150" OAL. Start at 4.0 grains of AA7 and work it up a couple tenths at a time till you get to 5.2 to 5.4 grains. You want to get solid slide function and make sure the gun locks back reliably on an empty magazine or your load is too soft or too heavy. If you have a chronograph available select the powder charge that gives you about 900-920fps with the 147gr bullet. This will put you in the 130-135 power factor range which is just about perfect for 9mm ammo in competition and general shooting use.

I have used AA7 and WW231 in 9mm with good results for many years now. Both are good choices for 9mm IMHO. I have also used AA5 and HS6 to good result in 9mm.

You will be best served IMHO by just sticking to the powder you already have to start (AA7) and get some pistol reloading experience under your belt before you start looking to perfect a load recipe for your gun. At this point loading something that is functionally reliable and doesn't kick like a mule is where you should be looking to start here.

I recommend getting started using a 147gr FMJ or JHP loaded to 1.150" OAL. Start at 4.0 grains of AA7 and work it up a couple tenths at a time till you get to 5.2 to 5.4 grains. You want to get solid slide function and make sure the gun locks back reliably on an empty magazine or your load is too soft or too heavy. If you have a chronograph available select the powder charge that gives you about 900-920fps with the 147gr bullet. This will put you in the 130-135 power factor range which is just about perfect for 9mm ammo in competition and general shooting use.

AH, that's what I wanted to hear. :cheers: I've been thinking about getting a chronograph for my rifle loads now, it sounds like I ought to get one for sure when I get a chance. Thanks! :D

I've tried quite a few but have come to love the economy and accuracy of bullseye with 124gr cast bullets.

WSF being a close second(annoying lack of load data).

You just get more for your money with bullseye and I like the quick snap that allows for faster shots.

If you are wanting pure accuracy, then a 115 JHP at 1.085 loaded with 4.8 to 5.0 of N340. Bullseye shooters are using this load with Nosler 115 JHP or Hornady XTP. I use this load with Precision delta 124 JHP. Another powder for extreme accuracy is Alliant Power Pistol. 5.4 to 6.0 grains with 124 JHP depending on OAL I use 1.120 with PD 124 JHP and this powder. I also did extensive testing with my Ransom Rest. My best RR group in an EAA Limited is .75" for a five shot average at 25 yds.

The good thing about AA#7 is with a 115gr bullet you could dip the case in the powder and still not blow yourself up. Those of course would be major at about 1500 fps. Shot a lot of AA#7 in 9 major works pokey good. In minor loads its is going to buck like wallyworld ammo but be more accurate. AA#7 is like tiny gravel, I got some on the threads of the shell plate hole in the loader and when I put the bolt in it stripped the threads. You will need to keep the gun reasonalby clean, if it is a very tight gun well that could be a problem. AA#7 just shoot it up a # will do just over a 1,000 rounds 7,000gr to the pound.

AA#7 if my favorite powder in 38Super Open gun, a bit abrasive and dirty but I love the gas volume for the comp. Maybe just snag a 38S open gun and stick with the same powder. Allmost all other people on this planet don't like it.

Like XRE says the best compromise is N320 a bit pricey but worth every penny. I like it best in my CZ with 135gr BayouBullets (bayoubullets.net), but it works darn nice with 124gr Montan Gold CMJ's at 4.1-4.2gr. I also use WST a kissing cousin to 231. But I don't recommend WST or 231 with jacketed bullets, they are very good on Black Bullets or Precison Moly, or Bayou. I loath titegroup, cheap, dirty, extra hot burning, and I find it more violent than other choices. YMMV and many like it, despite its short commings. I shot up about 10#'s of it, I keep winning it at matches, come on lets get some other powders on the prize table. That XRE does snappy comments but he gives great advise!

You definately need a crono for rifle loads, if you don't know the speed of the bullet you cannot predict the drop or wind drift with any reliabilty, course coke cans a 15yards are easy enough to hit, but a steel reactive target at 485 yards takes a bit more precision.

Try some different weight bullets in the gun, some of mine don't shoot 115's with any degree of accuracy but 124/125 tightens up the groups. YMMV 147's are accurate and soft recoil, its all about what feels good and shoots straight.

I agree with noylj on Accurate #2. After extensive testing it was the most consistently accurate in both my Glock 34 and my tactical 9XD at minor power level velocities using 124/125gr jacketed bullets.

I tested: N320, N330, Solo 1000, WW231, HP38, Scott Royal D (no longer available but similar to S1000),and Bullseye. With jacketed bullets AA#2 is fairly clean burning. A couple of the other powders would occasionally shoot very small groups but shooting multiple groups back to back from the rest AA#2 was consistently tighter

As a few side bonuses,it's: easy to find, economical, meters great, is very consistent, almost 0 flash, and at minor it's very soft in recoil.

As a side note: it is also the most accurate powder in my 38 spl. revolvers shooting lead B)

I agree with noylj on Accurate #2. After extensive testing it was the most consistently accurate in both my Glock 34 and my tactical 9XD at minor power level velocities using 124/125gr jacketed bullets.

I tested: N320, N330, Solo 1000, WW231, HP38, Scott Royal D (no longer available but similar to S1000),and Bullseye. With jacketed bullets AA#2 is fairly clean burning. A couple of the other powders would occasionally shoot very small groups but shooting multiple groups back to back from the rest AA#2 was consistently tighter

As a few side bonuses,it's: easy to find, economical, meters great, is very consistent, almost 0 flash, and at minor it's very soft in recoil.

As a side note: it is also the most accurate powder in my 38 spl. revolvers shooting lead B)

Reptoid, You have perked our interest in AA#2, but please give us some numbers so we can load some up and try it. Also some numbers on 147gr if you have them. I'm shootin an heavy metal gun not tupperware but it should work just as well.