Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

AR15.com Rockcastle Pro Am Aug 24-26 2012

Stages look great!

Since some will know the answers, can we all know the max distance for rifle shots in Pro? max slug distance?

Also, can we get an idea as to how the clay throwers work? Looks like a trap-like thrower. will they fly out basically in front of the shooter, like trap? will they fly one after the other, doubles, at random or what?

Thanks for great stages!

I will not know the exact max distances on rifle flasher tgts until we set the steel. Right now I'm thinking in the 300 to 350 yd range. The slug tgt distances will be 50 to 75 yds.

The trap is a Promatic sporting clays trap. The tgts will fly perpendicular to the firing line. The trap will activate on the start signal and throw ten clays one every two seconds in the Pro match. This stage is all Kurt Miller's and I'm looking forward to shooting it!

Are those slug targets full size ipsc steel or smaller like a BC zone target?

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

we need a stage throwing htem at the shooter. :devil:

Not an uncommon shot at a lot of sporting clays clubs.

Dan, I think flaming bushytail may be refering to "at the shooter" as in DUCK!

I like that idea, puts a little more skin on hitting them if you know a miss is going to result in the clay hitting YOU.

So 10 birds come out at 2 second intervals, while you move laterally engging arrays of 4 plates that must be shot fro within designated boxes.Right?

Sounds like this will come down to hitting the thrown birds.

Sounds like you'd need to hit the stationary birds fast, move fast, load fast, and shoot the clay birds about every two seconds or so.

This stage might be (nearly) as much fun to watch as to shoot.

we need a stage throwing htem at the shooter. :devil:

Not an uncommon shot at a lot of sporting clays clubs.

Dan, I think flaming bushytail may be refering to "at the shooter" as in DUCK!

I like that idea, puts a little more skin on hitting them if you know a miss is going to result in the clay hitting YOU.

Bryan,

Last year a friend of mine ran a shotgun match. Clays are the main thing at his club. One stage was arial clays only. It was 24 birds, I think. 6 traps were set in a circle, the closest 2 were at about 5 and 7 o'clock, shooter was at 6 o'clock. When you called pull, you got 3 pairs from 2 traps at a time. They were kind of opposite traps, then, one bird from each trap in clockwise order every 4 seconds. Kind of like a Virginia Count stage. Doesn't sound hard does it? :roflol:

Oh yeah, one trap threw them directly at the shooter, often when you broke them, you got rained on with clay pieces.

So 10 birds come out at 2 second intervals, while you move laterally engging arrays of 4 plates that must be shot fro within designated boxes.Right?

I think you shoot the flying clay's first behind a fault line and then move to the boxes to engage the stationary steel?

David E.

I think you shoot the flying clay's first behind a fault line and then move to the boxes to engage the stationary steel?

David E.

Now that makes sense. I could not figure out waiting 20 seconds for 10 birds to be thrown as you shot 16 plates.

I'm pretty sure this is the plan. I don't think you wait for the birds.

You start shooting and shoot a steel or load in the time you don't have a bird in the air...

That's my guess!

Some of your other guesses don't seem, "evil" enough for air Miller!

Edited by Benelli Chick

Sounds better to me if you had to shoot 16 plates, 10 birds, and load 15 shells in 20 seconds.

If you want to score well, I'm thinking that's what we're going have to do. Bird,steel,load,repeat.

Edited by stein

START POSITION: Standing behind charge line with loaded shotgun at low ready
Engage aerial clays from anywhere behind charge line.

Where is the "charge Line"? Are the shooting boxes behind the charge line?

I'm going to have plenty to do just hitting 1 clay every 2 seconds and leaving the "charge line" with a full gun (10+1 or 12+1, depending on the size of the car in the other stage) much less shooting some steel in between clays and loading.

Now if the boxes are behind the charge line, well then it's going to be real fun. And I would expect the real Pros to all have the same time; 20ish seconds.

David E.

Edited by Nuke8401

I don't know about you guys, but I've started practicing load 3 w/ a 2 second par time.

Right after the shotgun match at Rockcastle, I shot 300 rounds on the trap field with my girlfriend hitting the button at random and me going to port arm's between birds and moving around. Still don't know much about shooting flying birds but after Gary told me about this stage I knew I would have to practice something! I think I'm going to get one more session in on aerials before the match.

Note to Zac, Rockcastle, or anyone who is sponsoring/creating a side match.

Set up a 3 position flurry type event where the positions and traps approximate this stages bird with the 2 second cadence and I think you'll sell tickets. Maybe.

Can we ship our ammo to the Rockcastle facility for the match?

Yes, ship it to the below address and attach a note with your info. Let me know when it will arrive and I will check on it for you.

att: Gary Welborn

Rockcastle Shooting Center

22850 Louisville Road

Park City, KY 42160

270 339-1918

Stages look great!

Since some will know the answers, can we all know the max distance for rifle shots in Pro? max slug distance?

Also, can we get an idea as to how the clay throwers work? Looks like a trap-like thrower. will they fly out basically in front of the shooter, like trap? will they fly one after the other, doubles, at random or what?

Thanks for great stages!

I will not know the exact max distances on rifle flasher tgts until we set the steel. Right now I'm thinking in the 300 to 350 yd range. The slug tgt distances will be 50 to 75 yds.

M

The trap is a Promatic sporting clays trap. The tgts will fly perpendicular to the firing line. The trap will activate on the start signal and throw ten clays one every two seconds in the Pro match. This stage is all Kurt Miller's and I'm looking forward to shooting it!

Are those slug targets full size ipsc steel or smaller like a BC zone target?

My plan is to use the MGM B/C zone tgts.

Anyone got a plan for the flying birds stage...I got to thinking,,,Keith Garcia's load 12 drill standing in one spot and his splits are in the high 2's for load 4, loading 3 from the waist weakhand is about the same time, maybe 3 tenths shorter if you are in his class. Trying in the peace and cool of my basement load 2 from a vest not moving is about right for the 2 seconds timeframe.

If even a pro can finish this stage in the 20 seconds, it takes getting the flyers and all the steel and loads in the 20 seconds. I just hope I am around to see it. Even one clay miss is ten seconds and then you are way behind the curve...

Bets