Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Stupid 22 pistols!

lawboy

Shot Ruger Rimfire yesterday. We shot both rifle and pistol.

Everyone's rifles ran just fine but I swear there was not a single pistol on my squad that ran worth a hoot yesterday!

It was a cold, foggy, overcast day with a lot of water in the air, maybe that is the reason but guns that I have seen run just fine were puking up their guts yesterday.

My Marvel Unit was so bad it was not even funny, but the Rugers and Buckmarks were taking dumps all over the place as well.

Darn, rimfire pistols!

Shot Ruger Rimfire yesterday. We shot both rifle and pistol.

Everyone's rifles ran just fine but I swear there was not a single pistol on my squad that ran worth a hoot yesterday!

It was a cold, foggy, overcast day with a lot of water in the air, maybe that is the reason but guns that I have seen run just fine were puking up their guts yesterday.

My Marvel Unit was so bad it was not even funny, but the Rugers and Buckmarks were taking dumps all over the place as well.

Darn, rimfire pistols!

Did you take notice of what ammo they were all using? My S&W 22A runs good with Winchester bulk when the weather is warm to hot, but refuses to run 25 shots without a hiccup in cool to cold temps...even using snake oil. Don't run slide glide on 22's when it's cool/cold...mine refuses to run with slide glide when it's cool/cold out.

22's in cold weather can be a pain.

May I suggest to try the following.

Clean your mags and barrel chamber - the wax lube on 22's can slow things down.

Use a light oil on the slide in cold weather.

And you'll love this -

Keep your mags in your pocket with a hand warmer between stages.

Hope this helps

S&W Model 41 is the way to go for reliability and accuracy. Feed them standard velocity ammo only. Mine runs on CCI Std Velocity 40 grain round nose bullets without a hiccup. I have a Marvel Unit 1 that is on a dedicated STI 2011 frame that is very reliable but the 41 is my main gun. The last couple of SC matches I shot I ran a tricked out Browning Buck Mark that has more aftermarket parts than factory parts and it is also reliable but nearly the price of a Model 41.

Hello: Keep the ammo warm and dry and things work great. My model 41 does not like cold ammo since the lube thickens up like candle wax and leaves wax in the chamber causing extraction problems. Keep the ammo at 70 degrees and all is wonderful. I leave the ammo in the house till the match then put it in a storage cooler or in the sun if it is sunny. The Buckmarks seem to work all the time with Walmark Federal bulk box :cheers: The model 41 is a fun pistol to shoot with lightened barrels :devil: Thanks, Eric

Get a M41, that will solve the problem :)

I have one but I don't have enough magazines and I don't really want to take that gun out to play in the elements.

I have to MkIIs, Two Buckmarks, a Beretta 89, and an IZH35M.

BUT I want to make this stupid Marvel work!

I think you're referring to the rimfire match at Richmond yesterday?

I wanted to shoot the match, but my new-ish VQ/Ruger is getting light strikes compounded by unreliable extraction. If I shot, I would have held up the entire squad/match.

After I figure things out, I'll defintely get to one of those matches.

:cheers:

I think you're referring to the rimfire match at Richmond yesterday?

I wanted to shoot the match, but my new-ish VQ/Ruger is getting light strikes compounded by unreliable extraction. If I shot, I would have held up the entire squad/match.

After I figure things out, I'll defintely get to one of those matches.

:cheers:

Nope. I shot the Ruger Rimfire Challenge match at Gridley. I do want to shoot that Richmond match though.

Bullet weight and speed, lots of both is best, but bigger bullets is the key. 40gr anything going fast will help no end.

+1

My rimfires (S&W 22A and Ruger 10/22) were very unreliable in cooler weather (30-40 F) This past weekend in 35-40 F weather I ran 40gr CCI blazer and did not have 1 single failure. As a result, I came in 1st in open and 1st overall in a multi-gun rimfire match. So I'm sold on the 40 gr bullets now.

FWIW...I was previously using Winchester and Federal bulk pack ammo in 36 gr...but no more. Clean the guns between matches and use CCI Blazers...that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Mod 41 is the only way to go. When temps are 45 or below a little drop of very light oil on the top round will help and lubes the sticky wax and keep the mags in your pocket with a hand warmer. If possible keep all your match ammo warm i.e. above 55 degrees. It's the wax that causes the problems. I put hand warmers in the side pockets of my 5.11 daypack that I cary my gun bag in and it keeps the gun warm along with the match ammo.

Not likely! Some of the guys in my club shoot the 41 and to tell you the truth they get excited when they can get 3 or more clean runs in the Rimfire Steel match without a feeding issue. These are guns that shoot bullseye fine.

As far as I am concerned the most reliable rimfire pistol is the one that is taken care of the best or tuned for a given set of conditions (heat, rain, cold, etc.) and the model is not that important. Once you have a handle on how the gun (and ammo) works under various conditions and know how to overcome them, then you have a reliable gun.

It has taken me about 2 years on and off to get my Buckmark raceguns to the point that they work 100% under any conditions that I shoot including winter, national events, heat, and just the right amount of cleaning and lube. I don't even have to stick only with CCI-MM for matches anymore as it shoots Fed bulk, Lightning, and AutoMatch, CCI Blaser and Win. M-22 with no issues except rare duds. So far this year I have shot 31 club speed events, 3 Steel Challenge events, 2 Ruger Rimfire events (one regional and the Worlds), 1 rimfire tactical event, and the PSA Rimfire Shootout. In all that time I have had 3 duds and no FTF or FTE (duds were all in club matches with Fed bulk). That plus about 12K practice rounds.

My Marvel # 1 had some when I first got it (used). I ended up using CCI SV and have seperated mags that work from mags that don't and now have very few issues. However, I've only owned it for 3 months so I'll have to check it's operation in cold weather.

I read on a Bullseye forum that CCI had a lot of rounds that had excess bullet lube. This made for misfires due to not chambering fully.

I know my Clark barrel on my M-41 does not like CCI but it eats up Federal just fine. The shape of the chamber won't allow some bullets to clear the rifling. The stock barrel works like a ammo pump.

I think the idea that different temperature effecting function had lots of truth. due to the bullet lube.

Not likely! Some of the guys in my club shoot the 41 and to tell you the truth they get excited when they can get 3 or more clean runs in the Rimfire Steel match without a feeding issue. These are guns that shoot bullseye fine.

As far as I am concerned the most reliable rimfire pistol is the one that is taken care of the best or tuned for a given set of conditions (heat, rain, cold, etc.) and the model is not that important. Once you have a handle on how the gun (and ammo) works under various conditions and know how to overcome them, then you have a reliable gun.

It has taken me about 2 years on and off to get my Buckmark raceguns to the point that they work 100% under any conditions that I shoot including winter, national events, heat, and just the right amount of cleaning and lube. I don't even have to stick only with CCI-MM for matches anymore as it shoots Fed bulk, Lightning, and AutoMatch, CCI Blaser and Win. M-22 with no issues except rare duds. So far this year I have shot 31 club speed events, 3 Steel Challenge events, 2 Ruger Rimfire events (one regional and the Worlds), 1 rimfire tactical event, and the PSA Rimfire Shootout. In all that time I have had 3 duds and no FTF or FTE (duds were all in club matches with Fed bulk). That plus about 12K practice rounds.

Wow, those guys with the M41's really have problems then. The reason I purchased a M41 is because of the reliability and I have not been let down. I had a few issues when I put a Cmore on mine but since I removed it, I have not had a problem. I run either Fed Bulk or AutoMatch in it. I have run CCI and Remington Match without any issues but just went with the former due to the expense.

I do agree that just about any pistol can be made reliable but some are easier than others. My Buckmark with the TacSol upper is incredible, the wife shoots it a lot and doesn't have any problems. My Ruger 22/45 had a ton of problems in the stock configuration with any ammo, lube, cleaning, etc., it didn't matter, it was going to jam no matter what you did to it. I got a TacSol upper and most of the jamming went away. So I feel it is a combination of parts, work, lube/cleanliness, and most important, the ammo that works in that particular pistol.

Would you share with us some of things you did to get your Buckmark shooting like that? Thanks

Bullet weight and speed, lots of both is best, but bigger bullets is the key. 40gr anything going fast will help no end.

+1

My rimfires (S&W 22A and Ruger 10/22) were very unreliable in cooler weather (30-40 F) This past weekend in 35-40 F weather I ran 40gr CCI blazer and did not have 1 single failure. As a result, I came in 1st in open and 1st overall in a multi-gun rimfire match. So I'm sold on the 40 gr bullets now.

What's considered fast for 40 grainers? 1250fps? - basically about a 50 power factor?

Edited by D.Hayden

S&W 617 10 shot, reload with DS speed loaders, always works.

Very true, I have an older K-22 that's a dream to shoot and a pain to load.

I can take my Marvel to the range and shoot 500 rds. It's hard to do that with a revolver.

I like to shoot. :cheers:

I can take my Marvel to the range and shoot 500 rds. It's hard to do that with a revolver. :cheers:

I'm not so sure about that. Time wise, I think getting 10 rds out of a bulk box and into the chambers of a 10 shot 617 is little different than loading ten into a magazine.

Wow, those guys with the M41's really have problems then. The reason I purchased a M41 is because of the reliability and I have not been let down. I had a few issues when I put a Cmore on mine but since I removed it, I have not had a problem. I run either Fed Bulk or AutoMatch in it. I have run CCI and Remington Match without any issues but just went with the former due to the expense.

I do agree that just about any pistol can be made reliable but some are easier than others. My Buckmark with the TacSol upper is incredible, the wife shoots it a lot and doesn't have any problems. My Ruger 22/45 had a ton of problems in the stock configuration with any ammo, lube, cleaning, etc., it didn't matter, it was going to jam no matter what you did to it. I got a TacSol upper and most of the jamming went away. So I feel it is a combination of parts, work, lube/cleanliness, and most important, the ammo that works in that particular pistol.

Would you share with us some of things you did to get your Buckmark shooting like that? Thanks

Well Its been an evolution in many regards. My open gun started as my wife's old bullseye gun until she got to disabled to shoot much. I took that and put a TS 7.25" barrel on it first then later went to a 5.5". Took me awhile to get through the ammo issues. CCI-MM is the recommended one and for most of that time that is all I shot in club and away matches. Could never seem to overcome the duds in things like Fed 550 bulk. Fine for practice though. When you lighten the gun up with alloy parts it changes the recoil dynamics, and that can affect how well some ammo works in it. And weather affects everyting also. Now adays I can just shoot the gun during the summer but for colder times I have a routine I follow religiously. load up the vehicle, put the ammo in front of the best heater vent and drive to the match. Put a disposable hand warmer in the ammo box, and make sure if you are using a UCL you spray some Rem oil in every time you reload it with another 50 rounds or so. Keep both your gun in a nice lined bag and loaded mags in a warm pocket of your outer gear. Load as many up as possible and keep them in your pocket. Sometimes even another hand warmer might be needed. One of the issues my Buckmark always had was light strikes. So on the advice of another SC shooter on the RFC forum I inspected the length of my firing pin travel and discovered it did not even come close to the slide face. So I used some jeweller's files to enlarge the FP retaining pin slot to increase forward travel yet still keep it from peening the breach face of the TS barrel. Problem solved. No more issues in that area. My trigger is currently about 1.8# which I find is as good as any rimfire I ever shot. A combination of the Heggis flip, just the right amount of wear, and a BM overtravel trigger. I have open shooters as old as 85 YO that want me to put them in my will in case they are still around to get this gun. I won't give it up but they all hope I will someday. I have modded the alloy grips, made my own thumbrest, and my own laydown C-More bracket. I have tested 7 different comps on the gun to date, most donated by their makers. I still have other things I want to try for next year, but right now it shoots as well or better than I can.

• 5 weeks later...