Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Top Shot Season 3: Episode 12

DocMedic

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They need to raise the top prize higher, perhaps $200,000. 100,000 seems like a lot of money but when you concider how much time and effort the contestants have to put into the show, it doesn't seem like enough to me. Dustin may clear $50,000 after taxes. :blink:

I was sorry to see Mike defeated by the shotgun. BUT, if he had to lose to someone, I am sure glad it was Dustin. This is the second year in a row where a "simple country boy" won. I'm starting to get suspicious, but that boy sure can shoot. I'd love to see him in some 3-Gun competition. I'll be the sponsors are ringing his phone off the hook right about now.

While I was cheering for Mike and I am glad he made it to the final two, but Dustin deserves the win since he did manage to do very well! Look forward to the next season. Also watched the Behind the Bullet too and I just felt it gave us a peek into alot of stuff we didn't get to see.

Glad to see Dustin win but I'm a little suspicious of the "self-taught" label. Watching him shoot, he is either an absolute natural blessed with superb hand/eye coordination, or he's gotten some training somewhere - probably a combination of both.

Considering he was almost knocked out in the dueling tree competition, I'd say he had a fair amount of luck working for him, as well. Either way, well done!

Edited by COF

Considering he was almost knocked out in the dueling tree competition, I'd say he had a fair amount of luck working for him, as well. Either way, well done!

I don't think I'd say he "was almost knocked out in the dueling tree competition" - if I recall correctly, in the final round he had all 12 plates showing for him and his opponent had 0.

I have to say that Mike's strategy of turning the rifles into pistols was pure genius.

Yep, great strategy making a big stretch like that, and huge props for getting Top Shot to show it at all. I'm sure there were a few producers in the background going "Hell no we can't do that on TV!".

While I really wanted Mike to win, Dustin was absolutely phenomenal. He performed awesomely the entire season and his aw shucks personality and boyish enthusiasm was impossible to not like. I really enjoyed the 'Behind the Bullet' segment and seeing more of the interactions we didn't get to see during the show. I don't have a psychiatry background but after watching and listening to Jake, I'm convinced he is suffering from some sort of personality disorder/mental illness. I think the other contestants should have been afraid of him, but not for the reasons that Jake wanted. I wonder if the producers took extra security measures because of him - 'just in case'. In the end, I found him to be a very sad, miserable man who was actually exploited by Top Shot for ratings, and now he has to carry that stigma with him for the rest of his life.

But.....can't wait for next season!

Glad to see Dustin win but I'm a little suspicious of the "self-taught" label. Watching him shoot, he is either an absolute natural blessed with superb hand/eye coordination, or he's gotten some training somewhere - probably a combination of both.

I don't have a hard time believing he was self taught. Some people are simply naturals, and it's obvious he's taken the time to hone his natural abilities. Of course, self-taught doesn't mean he hasn't picked up a few tips along the way, looked at the internet, read a magazine, or seen anyone else shoot.

I think the biggest key to Dustin's victory (aside from his outstanding skills) is his attitude. From what we were shown, it certainly looks like his attitude really was "This whole thing is a huge blast, win or lose, and I'd do it all again tomorrow if I could". He took a lot of pressure and tension off himself by just approaching it as "going to gun camp".

BB

The rifle shots were pretty easy IMHO, but that first-arrow hit on the recurve bow glancing shot really showed how well everything was working for Dustin.

Edited by SJ

I feel for Mike. My Benelli M2 can't shoot slugs very well either. I've been hoping that Dustin would win for a while. It is really fun to watch someone who seems to be having a great time in any type of performing art.

Congrats to Dustin. Like everyone is saying, he earned that win.

Mike, good job getting to the final run. Tough luck on the Benelli.

Also, Mike, I'm PM'ing you. That video they showed of you shooting the end of a USPSA stage is from Double Tap. I remember you promising me to send me the copy of me on that stage. I'm going to haunt you until you find it. :devil:

Chris

Dustin has two of his own kids, an adopted child, foster kids and another kid on the way. :surprise: I can't believe he has any time/money to shoot.

One thing's for sure he earned his pay. He's a gentleman, sportsman and an excellent representative of our sport/hobby.

Mike was class all the way. He said to that even if he had not gotten stuck on the shotgun, he doubted he could have beaten Dustin that day.

It was refreshing to see the final 5 guys all be guys you would want to shoot with. Not like last season and the mean girls club.

Dustin was a lot like Jay from last season, nothing to lose, everything to win.

Dustin, you done real well!

Edited by John K

Looked like Mike needs to start shooting some Multi-Gun matches :)

I would have really liked to see someone from our competitive circles win, but Dustin certainly had God on his side and was blessed with some serious talent. He preformed remarkably throughout the competition and expecially in the finale.

"I didn't come to win, I came to play"

Sounds like advice that might be given in the mental conditioning forum here.

I totally agree, there is much to learn in this statement.

I enjoyed the final episode and also agree all of the last 5 guys were a refreshing change and all were guys you would want to share the range with. Dustin and Mike appeared to be enjoying it all.

Dustin really seemed to have a good positive mental attitude after several weeks of isolation living in a house with strangers. His faith carried him through.

Keith

"I didn't come to win, I came to play"

Sounds like advice that might be given in the mental conditioning forum here.

I dunno, I am not sure I am buying this laid-back country boy act. Look at this body language during a stage. As intense as Mike or anybody. He did great and he planned on doing great. And that, by the way is not a bad thing ;)

But, really the best part of the finale were the fireworks! :goof:

Later,

Chuck

Looked like Mike needs to start shooting some Multi-Gun matches :)

Did you see the "Behind the Bullet" episode afterwards?

It said Mike is going to be competing in 3gun :)

No, I didn't see it, I'll have to go look for it. Cool. Could have probably helped him a lot if he had started before Top Shot... oh well. He'll be a welcomed addition to the Milt-Gun world :)