Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best Trigger Job for XDM Game Gun

shoresroad

Hello everyone,

Ok, looking for opinions here. I want to have a trigger job done on my XDM 5.25 9mm and it looks like my best options are Springer Precision, Powder River Precision, or Springfield Custom Shop.

In the Leatham video where he introduces the 5.25 he says his trigger was done by Springfield Custom at 2 lbs 14 oz...sounds perfect. I run my game 1911's at 3 lbs. But travel, break, reset all matter also and it sounds like some of the companies above have manufactured their own parts.

Would appreciate some feedback from those who have game triggers on their XD's and XDM's and who did them. If there is another gunsmith I've missed by all means let me know.

This will be strictly a game gun.

Thanks!

Hello everyone,

Ok, looking for opinions here. I want to have a trigger job done on my XDM 5.25 9mm and it looks like my best options are Springer Precision, Powder River Precision, or Springfield Custom Shop.

In the Leatham video where he introduces the 5.25 he says his trigger was done by Springfield Custom at 2 lbs 14 oz...sounds perfect. I run my game 1911's at 3 lbs. But travel, break, reset all matter also and it sounds like some of the companies above have manufactured their own parts.

Would appreciate some feedback from those who have game triggers on their XD's and XDM's and who did them. If there is another gunsmith I've missed by all means let me know.

Thanks!

You forgot Canyon Creek and Rich

I put the PRP super match trigger in my XDM .40. It was my first time really messing with any internals in a pistol. I just watched the youtube videos on how to break it down and instill. Took a little hand fitting but it's an awesome set up! Here is the link, I think you can find the video on how to install on their website as well....

http://shop.powderriverprecision.net/product.sc?productId=35&categoryId=4

Hello everyone,

Thanks!

The shortest and lightest always gets left out.

Rich

The guys at PRP did a much better job on my 5.25 than I did using their parts on my 4.5 XDM. I'm sure you would be happy with any of the smiths mentioned here. If you want the best trigger I would let one of them do it for you.

I've had Rich at Canyon Creek do three of my XDM's now and each has been excellent. I let people shoot or dry fire them and they're amazed that a polymer pistol can be that good. I also have a XDM 40 with a PRP kit I installed in it and while it's a vast improvement over stock, nothing can match a job done by any of the major smiths for these guns. When my new CC 5.25 .40 limited gets here, my 4.5 .40 is going in for Rich's magic.

Hello everyone,

Thanks!

The shortest and lightest always gets left out.

Rich

Rich,

How light can you go and keep a crisp break (the proverbial glass rod snapping)?

I've had 2 from canyon creek, 2 from Springer precision, and 2 from the SA custom shop

I sent one from the custom shop to canyon creek to be done right

Springer and Canypn creek are both excellent....don't waste your money on a drop in kit...have the experts do it

My new 5.25 should have arrived at canyon creek by now :)

I've got an XD 45 and would like to have a competition trigger done on it, what weight of pull do you all suggest? I'm knew to the competition world and i'm just starting to train but I'd like to go ahead and get my pistol set up so I can have it the way I want it when I start competing.

Thanks for everyone's feedback. Sounds like I need to add Rich at Canyon Creek to my list. Seems like I'm on the right track so will get on the phone and talk to a few of these folks before I decide. This will by my first "polymer" trigger job so wasn't sure where to start.

:cheers:

Marty at RIO Salado does a great job on the XD/XDM triggers. I got mine back and it is really good. It's just as good as the SA custom shop. I have two others done by Dave's Metal works in CA and he does a wicked trigger job as well.

I want a 1 1\2 lb crisp trigger on my XD anyone think it's possible? What would it be worth if it could be done?

It can be done but it won't last very long, the springs are tweaked to the point they will fail and will be unreliable. The gun will start to double around the 300 round mark on average. It was too much of a pain to keep the trigger reliable. I won't do anything below #2 lbs for a customer.

Rich

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

There is lots of info on this throughout this forum, if I knew how to direct you to it I would but... So here is my 2 cents worth.

All of those mentioned do great work. Springfield's Custom shop work does not void your warranty. All the others may. All the shops mentioned do the trigger work differently, but come up with pretty much the same result. Physics be physics.

Without getting into all the different techniques they use, the weight of the trigger is going to be determined by the springs and the sear. The striker spring for instance is sometimes replaced or modified to lighten the trigger pull. Knowing that, what ammo do you want your gun to reliably fire? A trigger pull that is as light as possible may not and in my experience, will not, always fire surplus or military or some readily available commercial primers. The factory striker spring will at the cost of an additional 1/4 to 1 lb. trigger pull, depending on how the trigger job is done. The triggers reset may not feel as positive and sharp as stock with a reduced power spring returning the trigger. This can vary as much as a pound or two dependent on what part is used. Are these acceptable trades?

Movement distance is totally separate of the pull weight. That is controlled by how much pre travel, sear engagement and over travel the mechanism has. If this is adjusted incorrectly, many bad things happen. Gun may not fire, striker may follow slide, safeties may not work correctly etc. So this needs to left to someone who understands the mechanism; it''s function and limitations. I have seen quite a few "trigger jobs" that are unsafe and unreliable.

If you simply want the trigger pull to be lighter than stock, that can be accomplished cheaply and simply. But, have it done by someone who knows the mechanism. The specifications of the unmodified trigger as delivered from the factory is 100% percent reliable with all known ammo. It will stay functional under all kinds of neglect and abuse. Unbelievable amounts of both actually. That is the fundamental design of the pistol.

Too reduce the triggers movement, and still function properly is also science, not magic, but few people really understand the workings of any trigger, much less one as new in design as the XD/XDm platform. The stock mechanism is designed around specifications that allow it to function properly in extreme conditions. This means there is allowance in the trigger mechanism's tolerances to permit dirt and grime and water and whatever to be present, yet still function properly. These tolerances are there for a reason. Reducing trigger movement requires the removal of any excess tolerances. If done poorly or incorrectly, the result will be poor reliability or worse, an unsafe condition.

We competition shooters have always been willing to trade a certain amount of the "abuse and neglect" buffer designed into a system for a performance improvement. This does not come without cost. At the very least you will have higher maintenance and possibly reduced reliability under adverse conditions. This of course is determined by what is done to the firearm. An unmodified XD/XDm is about as reliable and durable a mechanism as you can find in the firearms world. However, for a competition gun may trade some of that, within reason for the ability to shoot more accurately and faster.

Trigger modifications range from drop in kits designed to modestly reduce weight to full house trigger jobs that reduce all movements and weight to a bare minimum. I may have to use specially designed ammo with very precise components to remain reliable. I am willing to do this. I will have to keep the mechanism clean and well lubricated to function properly. I will also need to train with the modified mechanism in order to operate it competently and safely.

Remember when reading about a trigger modification to your XD/XDm that the person writing it may only care about improving the gun for competition shooting and like me be willing to live with the cost.

Now having gotten all that down, I wish something like this was on the FAQ's. I do not know how that might get done, but it would be nice for those that are interested in this info later.

Rob

Springfield Custom shop or PRP, they use the same parts so I don't think you could go wrong with either one. A fellow shooter just got his back from springfield and the trigger is awesome. I really like the upgraded trigger they use. Rich at CC and Springer are good also.

Edited by dhf

My personal recommendation is powder river they have treated me right and everyone that has tried my trigger loves it, even the guys that have the other guys triggers.

Edited by Scoobb