Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Nationals

PKT1106

Just as a point of curiosity...how many shooters have had their guns stolen out in Vegas?

I have heard of one, but I am ASSuming there might be more.

Not that thievery is just a Vegas problem, but an everywhere problem

Like I said, just curious....

There were two that I'm aware of, three if you consider that one was actually a father and son and both sets of equipment were stolen. This has happened in other venues as well. Memory serves, one bullet manufacturer had a whole trailer stolen in Tulsa.

Speaking of Tulsa, I'd be OK with going back but the range has brand new owners. Till they get a bit more established I'm not sure they are ready, or even interested, in hosting USPSA again. Either way, after 2012, Phil will be picking where they go. If you've got an idea send it to him. He's very open to suggestions and responsive.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Chuck!

I would feel better about officially approaching or contacting anyone at USPSA HQ if Illinois was a CCW state.

The IL DNR folks will be at the SHOT show, and I am sure there is a booth...or at least I hope there is a booth for USPSA and IDPA at SHOT. So I will leave it up to the IL DNR people to market the World Shooting Complex to whomever. That's what they get paid to do.

Another thing to keep in mind is all the stuff that USPSA owns that's used every year to produce Handgun and MG Nat's. There's 2 ea. 45' Conex boxes stuffed top to bottom and front to back plus enough stuff stored outside to fill 2 more. We've unloaded and reloaded 'em for the last 3 years.

If we move to another venue we have to plan on how to get it all to the new place and where to put it.

IMHO we also really need a single venue for both the HG and MG matches. In 2009 we set the MG match at the Boulder City Range which is about 48 miles from DSRPC. Moving all that stuff back and forth added days to setup and tear-down not to mention the wear-n-tear on Carl and the crew.

None of this means the matches have to stay in Vegas. We just need to remember that there's a lot more to producing nationals than having a bunch of berms and a clubhouse. I also think the host club needs to really want the match at their venue. I say that because it will cost money and take a lot of effort (especially the first year).

All that said, It's gonna be Phil's decision and I feel for him 'cause no matter what he does, he's gonna take buckets of crap from a lotta folks.

I'm confused--I thought Kim (or someone else at USPSA) already put out an e-mail saying the Nationals would be in Frostproof in 2013 (along with the WS). Maybe I read it wrong. Anyway, as someone who only lives 4 hours from Frostproof, I say--Keep the Nationals in Vegas! Frostproof is a nice range, but that's it. Lousy hotel /food /things-to-do selection, Orlando is an hour away with traffic, even the McDonalds doesn't open up until like 7:30 on Sunday morning. In the grand scheme of things, if you can't easily drive there within a day, Vegas is probably going to be cheaper than any other venue in the US. But I'll go shoot it wherever it ends up.

I'm confused--I thought Kim (or someone else at USPSA) already put out an e-mail saying the Nationals would be in Frostproof in 2013 (along with the WS).

I didn't see the email but maybe it was referring to the USPSA IPSC Nationals.

Franks said they would be held the week after the World Shoot.

I'm confused--I thought Kim (or someone else at USPSA) already put out an e-mail saying the Nationals would be in Frostproof in 2013 (along with the WS).

I didn't see the email but maybe it was referring to the USPSA IPSC Nationals.

Franks said they would be held the week after the World Shoot.

Ahh. You are probably right--I must have misread it.

• 6 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Anyway, as someone who only lives 4 hours from Frostproof, I say--Keep the Nationals in Vegas!

I am just 3 hours drive from Frostproof but I would still say: keep it in Vegas

These do say a lot. I can't imagine any other place that will give you more bang for your buck than Vegas. Cheap airfare, car rental, lodging, great food and all day entertainment. If you're not shooting there are great things to do too. I haven't been to Tulsa though, how's the weather compared to Frostproof around that time?

Edited by norbs007

What about Rockcastle?

Rockcastle is a bit tricky. I've been there twice. Both times it was great during the event, but hot. The first time, July last year, they had a torrential downpour the day before the event. They've also had some very, very high heat during matches and two events shut down mid match because of rain. Makes me a bit nervous about hosting there.

Edited by Chuck Anderson

I know a lot goes into picking a location for Nationals and having a range/crew that wants to hold the match is a big part of it. It sure would be nice if the match could move a little further east. After 5 years in Vegas, Utah doesn't seem like much of a change geographically.

I know a lot goes into picking a location for Nationals and having a range/crew that wants to hold the match is a big part of it. It sure would be nice if the match could move a little further east. After 5 years in Vegas, Utah doesn't seem like much of a change geographically.

+1

Further east would at least give the opportunity to drive. Sure gas is expensive, but sure beats airfare and 4-5 days car rental.

Somewhere in the woods would be nice... Cool and calm, right time of year an all that. Plenty of shade. Birds chirping.... And gunfire of course.

What locations fit that description? I'm from Vegas so of course I'm happy with the location, but only because it's close. Somewhere in the mountains or woods would be hard to beat....

Should be a poll on this topic... How many want it to move or stay?

After 5 years in Vegas, Utah doesn't seem like much of a change geographically.

The area around St George is very nice! Less than an hour from Zion National Park. About 3 hrs to Bryce Canyon. FANTASTIC natural beauty everywhere you look. Oh, and the range is nice, too. I spent about a month in Utah earlier this year and want to go back. Just GORGEOUS scenery and lots of outdoorsy stuff to do everywhere.

Like someone else said, Frostproof is in the boondocks. I have shot there a few times. Will be there this month and next, but it isn't my first (or second) choice for Nationals. I didn't care much for Tulsa when I was there, either.