Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Do You Get Slide Bitten By A Stock Glock?

Duane Thomas

I'm not surprised, that's why I made the statement I did.

I'm most interested in why it happens. It used to happen to me all the time, now it happens sparingly but when it does...wow does it do a job on my hand.

When that factory beavertail insert is finally available...problem solved for me at least.

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting.

Is this a "Gen 3 or 4 issue"?

It doesn't seem likely on my Gen 2 G17 and I have fairly large hands and grip high.

A friend of mine is an LEO Firearms instructor and he was just telling me about guys getting Beavertails on their Glocks.

I was thinking..."why?"

My Hand gets cut up on my GI 1911 if I shoot more than a Box

I fired 500 rounds over 2 days through G22, for work quals. My hand web was torn apart, I have large hands. I had blood splatters up my forearm & all over the slide.

I thought Glock would have addressed this issue on the Gen 4? Great pistol.

There is now a hand shielding beavertail available as a pin-in-place backstrap on the Gen-4. At least "available" as in "we know it exists." Not sure on its actual availability yet. I'm going to call up Glock tomorrow and see if I can get one for test and eval, and when I do I'm going to also ask that question.

Here's a photo:

glockbeaver1.jpg

Sweeeeeeeet.

I thought for something to be SSP legal, it had to be offered as part of the original configuration as it's an external mod and not sights or a plastic plug.

Sure. Why wouldn't it be? It's a factory part.

You are allowed in SSP to put on the gun any factory part that has ever been offered on any model from the factory, even if it's never been offered on your particular gun model. For instance, you can put the extended slide stop from a 34 onto a 17. Or the low profile slide stop off a 17 onto a 34. You can put the extended slide stop off Glock's competitoin oriented models onto any non-competition model, as well. in this case it's not even that complex: the new beavertail was designed from the ground up to go on a Gen-4 Glock, it's a factory part designed for these models in particular, of course you can use it in SSP.

I've been bitten only once. I shot glocks for years and switched to a CZ shadow for several months then back to a glock. my grip was much higher due to the grip design of the CZ and, even though I only shot the CZ for a few months, that too-high grip carried over into a 1,000 round 2 day class. I got cut bad on one of the first drills. never before and never since that one healed up.

I don't think it's only a function of how high you grip the gun. If my strong(right) hand is rotated too far back I get bit. Just a little rotation forward will solve the problem and this doesn't really change how high on the grip my hand is.

Ah ok. Thanks for the explanation, Duane. I had read some posts before and someone said they got moved to ESP for using a Gen4 piece on a Gen3 gun, as such part wasn't available on Gen3 models, so I thought that was the rule.

You are allowed in SSP to put on the gun any factory part that has ever been offered on any model from the factory, even if it's never been offered on your particular gun model. For instance, you can put the extended slide stop from a 34 onto a 17. Or the low profile slide stop off a 17 onto a 34. You can put the extended slide stop off Glock's competitoin oriented models onto any non-competition model, as well. in this case it's not even that complex: the new beavertail was designed from the ground up to go on a Gen-4 Glock, it's a factory part designed for these models in particular, of course you can use it in SSP.

i added a permanent beavertail to my limited gun cause i was tired of bleeding at matches. Now every unmodified glock i pick up just doesnt feel right without one.

e458c039.jpg

looks nice

i don't know if you call it a bite, but the slide rubs my hand in the same spot that it will be raw and hurt like heck. then i'd get a scab then the next time it would rip the scab off and bleed like crazy. at the 2000 nationals the blood flowed all the way to my elbow, and the RO's thought i'd gotten hurt some how.

i've also put a beaver tail on my 24 using the same method, but i used a two part putty.

Edited by skeeter

• 2 months later...

Thank someone for resurrecting this poll/post as I didn't see it before. First Glock was a Gen 2 G21 last is a Gen 3 G34 and I have never been bitten. The G34 does give my middle finger a bruise probably from overuse in the military. Or because it is a Production gun it has not met Mr. Dremel yet for dehorning.

My fist glock (gen3 19) would bite me on both sides of the slide.

My new gen4 34 only bites me on the right side of the slide, so they did make an improvement in my eyes... lol

To see if I like a beaver tail I picked up a grip force adapter and chopped it up so that it did not change the angle to much.

I like it allot I just need to decide if I want to perm change the gun and who I want to do the work.

Wow. Really nicely done work. :) I can't even see a blend mark.

thank you sir.

Looks nice.

Howd you do it?

i modified some brass furniture screws (4 of them), screwed them into the back of the beavertail area, then i built it up around the brass screws with jb weld. then i sanded it to the shape that best fit my hand and painted it.

the one in the picture was the first one i ever did.

I have now found a new epoxy that works a little bit better than jb weld and doesnt require painting since its already black.

Could you please shoot me the info on the new epoxy that you are using? and maybe a couple pics of the screws?

Thank you very much!

-Brad