Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Do You Get Slide Bitten By A Stock Glock?

Duane Thomas

I'm the guy who made the reply referring to the group being larger than you thought.

I make the response based upon the following:

1.Those having large hands are at greater risk to be bit.

2. Those who grip the pistol as high as they possibly can are at greater risk of being bit.

3. LE types (of which I am) experience slide bite often based upon a number of factors including poor grip habits, varying ranges of shooting ability, and overall ergonomics of the gun to the individual Officer's hand (sans the reason given for the Gen4 beavertail insert to begin with).

The above is a significant number of individuals who either suffer slide bite or are at risk of it.

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i added a permanent beavertail to my limited gun cause i was tired of bleeding at matches. Now every unmodified glock i pick up just doesnt feel right without one.

e458c039.jpg

I was thinking of doing the same thing, but was a little concerned with going back to shoot the stock glock for certain matches and it feeling off. Just out of curiosity though, What did you use for a beavertail and how did you get it to look so good?

i added a permanent beavertail to my limited gun cause i was tired of bleeding at matches. Now every unmodified glock i pick up just doesnt feel right without one.

e458c039.jpg

I was thinking of doing the same thing, but was a little concerned with going back to shoot the stock glock for certain matches and it feeling off. Just out of curiosity though, What did you use for a beavertail and how did you get it to look so good?

You might try reading the post where he explains it...

I didn't vote, cause I've only shot a Glock one time. I have big hands and didn't experience any biting.

Edited by DonovanM

Only shot Glock a few times, but didn't have any issues. Only slide that ever bit me was on a Ruger LCP. There's just too little gun to hang onto there without putting some part of your hand where it don't belong.

I didn't notice an applicable button for me: "Horribly". A shooting buddy and I were squadded together at the Nationals. Comparing "Glock Tracks" in our hands was a daily occurrence. We were both shooting Gen3 G-34s.

It doesn't happen all the time to me. Usually, it starts with a slightly-flubbed draw that gets my hand a bit higher than usual. The cut develops and just keeps getting worse. Nationals was bad. Georgia State, just a couple of weeks earlier, was completely uneventful as far as slide bite goes.

The Gen4 doesn't do that to me EVER because the area under the beavertail is recessed just a little bit and gives my Sasquatch hands somewhere to go. (Even though I have big hands, I run a Gen4 with no backstrap inserts)

Yeah, I'm the buddy. - My hands are smaller, bone wise, but a decent amount of meat in the web between my thumb and hand. I get them on both sides, kinda like rubbing a dull steak knife repeatedly across the surface. Was horrible with a G19, not so bad with a G34 -- but now my grip has gotten higher and it is just as horrible. I still have scabs from nats.

After a while, it doesn't hurt so much, I just have to shake all the ROs hands with my left because I'd rather not get "me" on them. The G34s are going into the safe and the 2011s are coming out for the next year.

If ya ain't bleedin' after ya shoot a Glock, ya ain't grippin' it right!

I used to bleed like crazy, but now I've got some wicked good calluses that the slide needs to chew through before it hits meat and then bone.

Big hands, high grip, no bite. (and I shoot with my thumb riding way up rubbing against the slide)

I KNOW it happens to lots of people, I just don't see how. (unless you have REAL "full" (fat?), err.. meaty hands? Or a loose grip? ) :huh:

Edited by cas

Yep, and like most above I have large, "thick" hands. Fingers are not long, but my palms are think. Perfect grip is nice and high and the slide barely touches but it does not take much to get a grip just slightly higher and get bitten.

I have to admit I'm surprised at the results of this poll. I've been firing Glocks since shortly after they were first imported into the U.S. and I've never been slide bitten. Nor have I ever known anyone who's been bitten either - or if they had been, they certainly didn't mention it to me! ;)