Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

IDPA World Shoot thoughts

Looks like some mistakes were made and some things were overlooked. Keep in mind this was the first IDPA World Shoot so let's cut the organizer's a little slack and hope they get it all right next year, if there is a next year. Please mail your comments, complaints, and suggestions to IDPA Headquarters so they can get it right next year.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gotta say I never thought I would see someone criticize a match location for being muddy compared to Tulsa.

Tulsa was beautiful last year during the IDPA Nationals. There was rain before the match, but the bays were dry. The conditions there with normal rainfall are no longer an issue. USPSA should move their nats back to the USSA. It's a lot better than the desert.

How so? Have they added a bunch of drainage tile? The range in Tulsa is great, but much of the (USPSA) match staff said they'd skip going back because of the issues with drainage. It would be great to have that venue again. (though, I'd like to see us at PASA again soon)

Gotta say I never thought I would see someone criticize a match location for being muddy compared to Tulsa.

Tulsa was beautiful last year during the IDPA Nationals. There was rain before the match, but the bays were dry. The conditions there with normal rainfall are no longer an issue. USPSA should move their nats back to the USSA. It's a lot better than the desert.

Considering the history, and the fact that USSA doesn't even have an owner at this point, I wouldn't hold my breath. I've been to USSA more times than most, as a competitor, student, instructor, and range officer. I've been there in great conditions and it's a terrific range. But when the rain comes, and it does frequently in Tulsa, that range totally sucks.

I didnt go this year. Hopefully they will learn from some of the comments posted here and elsewhere to tweak their shortcoming's.

About the range commands. The after COF commands don't bother me as much as the before. I would have an issue with an SO and I quote. "Gimme a nod when ready, shooter indicates he is ready here we go STANDY----byyyyyy". This type of command has no place in a major match. I may not have signed my card if I felt it affected my mental preparations to the COF. It is a game it has rules you expect me to follow. I expect the SO to do the same. I do hope they address some of the issues brought up. I would like to attend next year.

Inconsistent range commands and/or just the plain wrong ones not dictated in the rulebook are my first clues that an RO/SO may...may...not know what he is doing and/or doesn't know the rulebook or some of the rationale behind its edicts.

I've had quite a few experienced and very good SO's use non-standard range commands. I prefer to use the standard commands.

• 2 weeks later...

Generally I don't post on here about the USSA range conditions, but thought the information might present a clearer picture for the future. First of all, I have seen several posters on there that may not have the complete pictures because they: A. Don't live in Tulsa, and B. Have only see the USSA range at its worse (in two of the 7-8 majors held there in its first years). Here are some general facts:

- All of the major matches after that USPSA national championships have been successful, even with some significant rain.

- The purported "drainage problem" has always been an incorrect term. I am not an engineer, but our after action of the drainage issue showed a few things:

1. (As we predicted to the previous owner): The SOD was not mature enough to hold up to 400+ shooters, especially if we got bad weather.

2. Bird Creek was the major culprit combines with an unmature range, because it is the main drainage that allows USSA to function and drain. It was blocked that year due to the previous years ice storm (pretty much broke every tree in the area) damming the creek.

3. The year the problem occurred, we received a huge (hurricane off Texas) amount of rain. (I am not sure if we have received as much since at any one short amount of time)

All of this being said, I can only comment on what I have seen since.

- We have had torrential rain multiple times, and the range drained very nicely. (even with some larger matches being held)

- The time of year completely determines the weather, and a match during the right time will be a great match

As far as comments about USSA's future, I wish I could post a clear prediction, but it is certainly unknown to me at this point. I can however comment that future owners have expressed big interest in having major competitive events regularly. They strongly support the sport, and would love to see any match held at USSA. The IDPA shooters we had several years in a row were a huge pleasure to have at USSA, and I think they enjoyed USSA as much as it enjoyed them. I am sure the match would be welcome back, but of course can not speak for the management or owners once the USSA sale is final.

All indications point to a VERY positive future for USSA at this point.

Please email me directly with questions: mikeseeklander@shooting-performance.com

I don't know about rain but we sure could have used some Air Conditioning at the 2010 Pro Am..lol

Let's get that in the works Mike. J/k.

I believe I shot with Chucks squad. Think he got on to me for "holster popping". My first USPSA style match.

he got on to me for "holster popping".

Not familiar with the term.

Is this where you play with your gun, lifting it halfway out of the holster and dropping it back in?

(Drives me nuts.)

Something like that. Not exactly halfway but just enough to lose its retention past the trigger guard of a Ready Tactical holster Jim.

At anything billed as a "World" championship, the SO's had better be able to give pretty close to the correct commands or there will be problems when Team Foreign shows up. At the IPSC Worlds some of the ROs and shooters clearly don't speak much English at all, but they give the same commands in English as everybody else, which works well. I've been to matches in Central America where the range commands were all in Spanish. That's tough for a gringo like me sometimes, even if there isn't any extra chatter.

Since this was the first World championship I can see problems arising that was not properly thought out first. Everyone in my squad with the exception of me was from central or south america and 3 or 4 of them did not speak any english at all. One of them was able to translate the stage description and procedures for them.

I would like to see the stage description and procedures translated into multiple languages for the next one.

I didn't make it from South Africa but am very interested in the comments

Surely being a WORLD Championship!! means it difficulty level shold be high

Shirt cover and swinger alladd to that

The SO commands are however disappointng. We don't allow those variations even at our

CLUB shoots never mind provincial leagues

Lol

LOfty

FWIW, at the IPSC World Shoot, there was a large squad of Russians that didn't speak enough English to understand the stage descriptions. They had their team manager take the whole squad around each stage the day before the match and read and translate the descriptions for them.