Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Heavy Metal poll

I shot HM at OKC Gun club this past weekend, I was the only shooter in the division, but I can say, I liked it, a lot. The challenges are so much more fulfilling, KurtM set us up with two slug targets at 75 and about 130 yards, which by some miracle I hit with an 18" cylinder barreled 870, and two flashers and a steel c zone for the rifle at 160 or so. The stages were good, and I really got to see the difference in HM and the others. I will def be at it again. So come join me!

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Raton, NM is less than 8 hours away from you!

June 2-3 is the He-Man National Championship!

It'll be big guns all around!http://home.earthlink.net/~johnson3gun/

Except for a few staff and close friends or family that will be wimping out and shooting Wee-Man! :surprise::blink:

Come and join us!

Denise (sadly, the first Wee-Man registered...though we have a few more now!)

Like Michael1778 just above, I am going HM for the LaRue Texas Multigun in April in WWII division. My firearms are an H&R M1, Maverick 88 pump, and STI Spartan in .45 ACP. With access to two local 3 guns a month, one of which is at Best of the West Range in Liberty Hill, TX, I should get plenty of practice sighting in and reloading after the ping!

Ahhhh, the ping. Perhaps it was a tactical disadvantage in some cases.....but so distinctive. :bow:

[Python]

"We've got the machine that goes 'PING!'"

[/Python]

DMG...I envy your free time and ammo budget...would chaining an 8 year old to a Dillon loader violate child labor laws?

LOL! Probably not as long as you fed him well!

I admit to not having shot HM in a number of years. I can no longer see Irons well enough, but when I did, it was a SS.45 20 round .308 and a pump 12.

And you hit the head of he nail with that one. If the more "mature" guys like you and I do not shoot it, do we really expect that the younger competitors are going to keep the candle burning for HM?

• 4 weeks later...

Judging by how this thread took off, there's definitely a lot of interest in HM. I've only shot a handful of multigun matches, and I've shot them all with an M1A, 45acp, and pump shotgun. I've shot some with iron sights, and some with a scope. I like both. Here's my two cents: I think this sport has it's roots in practical shooting. My perspective (as a noobie) is that a HM optics division makes a lot of sense, as .308 is capable of far greater ranges than .223. Sure, it's possible to shoot accurately at long range with irons, but in my opinion it's more practical to do it with optics. To me, HM optics division makes more sense than tac optics since .223 isn't really as practical a long range round. Personally, I would like to see HMO be for pump shotguns just because that's what I like shooting. But I don't mind shooting a pump against autoloaders. I'm mostly there to compete against myself anyway. As far as the number of shooters goes, I would really like to have more folks shooting in my division. Mostly because I really like watching and learning from other shooters, and also because it really helps to see what skills i'm relatively good or bad with.

One last thing I have to add about shooting heavy metal. Once I shot my first steel plate with .308, I never wanted to go back to anything smaller. That sound is just too satisfying.

One last thing I have to add about shooting heavy metal. Once I shot my first steel plate with .308, I never wanted to go back to anything smaller. That sound is just too satisfying.

Once in a while, I have to shoot a 223 in the local matches due to lack of HM participants, and I must say that it lacks in the entertainment value when it comes to hitting steel. I love watching a steel plate get hit with a 308. Even the other shooters gets the same excitement just by watching.

Once in a while, I have to shoot a 223 in the local matches due to lack of HM participants, and I must say that it lacks in the entertainment value when it comes to hitting steel. I love watching a steel plate get hit with a 308. Even the other shooters gets the same excitement just by watching.

I like breaking stuff- targets, stands, chains, hinges. It's tough to do that with a .223.

I hardly ever shoot HM at local matches though. Most of our locals are all short range berms & bays stages and it just seems like a waste to use .55/round ammo on these targets. :)

I like breaking stuff- targets, stands, chains, hinges. It's tough to do that with a .223.

I hardly ever shoot HM at local matches though. Most of our locals are all short range berms & bays stages and it just seems like a waste to use .55/round ammo on these targets. :)

That and for me, the cost gets hard to swallow.

Denise, you should know this: which of the big matches will let you shoot a 1x non magnified dot like an eotech or prismatic in the traditional HM irons division? And which specifically wont?

thanks!

I don't shoot He-Man! :roflol:

RM3G and He-Man NAtionals do not! We did an informal survey last year, and changed Limited Iron to 1X, but since we have He-Man Scope, most of our He-Man Iron guys are more hard core and wanted to leave He-Man Iron, Iron's only.

I BELIEVE USPSA and Superstition do allow 1X in He-Man no-scope!

But, if you just look on the website of the match you're going to, they usually tell you! :rolleyes:

That's all I've got,

Denise

Denise, you should know this: which of the big matches will let you shoot a 1x non magnified dot like an eotech or prismatic in the traditional HM irons division? And which specifically wont?

thanks!

I don't shoot He-Man! :roflol:

RM3G and He-Man NAtionals do not! We did an informal survey last year, and changed Limited Iron to 1X, but since we have He-Man Scope, most of our He-Man Iron guys are more hard core and wanted to leave He-Man Iron, Iron's only.

I BELIEVE USPSA and Superstition do allow 1X in He-Man no-scope!

But, if you just look on the website of the match you're going to, they usually tell you! :rolleyes:

That's all I've got,

Denise

Last time I checked, USPSA doesn't allow 1x in HM.

Just for informational purposes, David Tapp's Tactical Rifle matches in Birmingham (the most fun match you can shoot with a rifle) doesn't allow 1x in HM. They do have a HM Optical division.

It's interesting how this is turning out. For the last couple of years, some of us have been looking specifically for matches that don't allow 1x, and some for matches that do allow 1x.

Just for informational purposes, David Tapp's Tactical Rifle matches in Birmingham (the most fun match you can shoot with a rifle) doesn't allow 1x in HM. They do have a HM Optical division.

It's interesting how this is turning out. For the last couple of years, some of us have been looking specifically for matches that don't allow 1x, and some for matches that do allow 1x.

The feeling on the forum I have read from most limited shooters is that a 1x optic hurts more than it helps and if that is true, who cares? My feeling is that if we did not need optics, there would be an age limit of the age of 45 to shoot this game.

• 3 weeks later...

+1. Watching the steel react to a .308 vs the .223 is why I built my LR 308!

• 1 month later...

OK, so this may be a bit of a weird post for my 2nd ever in this forum, seeing as I have never shot a multi-gun match...

That being said, when I heard about HM I was instantly in. I already have a pump 12 (although I'll probably be trading it in if I can find time to really get into competing) a 1911, and recently completed a .308 AR build. The main thing that drew me to the idea of the division was that I was under the impression this was the load-out:

.308 rifle, iron sights

pump 12 ga

Single Stack .45

I saw on a sign-up sheet that there was a HM optics division, and thought "Oh, cool, maybe I'd be interested in throwing on my 1-4x optic for that." I had no idea that, from what I've read here, this oftentimes also allowed auto 12's, smaller caliber pistols?, etc... I'm very surprised that still gets the HM designation.

Being somebody who has yet to pay an entry fee for a multi-gun competition, I understand my comments carry little to no weight; but from an outsider's perspective it seems counter-intuitive for HM optic to be such a "watered-down" division. If/when I sign-up, I sure hope HM is available, and the set-up will be the 3 listed above. If there are few competitors, I'll be a little sad, but in the few pistol competitions I've shot I've seen only a few other competitors shooting S.S.45's, and that was at my local IDPA shoot. At the USPSA match I was the only competitor in Single Stack, and *sigh* single stack isn't it's own division for Steel Challenge so I was the only .45 and I got to compete with a bunch of 9's and even a five-seven (I don't know if that gun is officially allowed, but the organizers let my buddy shoot it there). I wish there were other .45's at those to compete against, but to me it's all just practice anyway... but don't let HM die before I get started!

For what it's worth, I learned to shoot AR's on a GI-type 20", open sights, and hope that I can get back the skills I had then. I'm in my early 30's, so I feel like maybe I'm getting a late start on the competitive front, but it sounds like with practice I should still have a few years of being able to see the target over that front sight.

Different matches have different equipment rules, check out the rules for the match you want to shoot. The semi auto shotgun is rare. Some matches will require a single stack, most just require .45 ACP, .45 GAP or .44 Mag, with no other requirement that a 10 round limit.

Check out the thread on the He Man Nationals in the multigun match annoucements.

Thanks Dan! I was getting all ready to post...and there you did it for me! Oh well, I might as well give some more info!

HM encompasses a few groups!

The original He-Man started by the founder's of Rocky Mountain 3-Gun and their He-Man friend Eddie Rhodes is...and hopefully will always be: .308, .45 and pump. We now offer both iron (no 1X) and scope.

Heavy Metal - which was a more politically correct name for the division. Some matches stick to the original, some adjust it a bit in order to try to grow the division. Some allow the scope to shoot a semi-auto...many don't.

Heavy Tactical (shhh! Don't tell JJ! His face turns red every time he thinks about this) is the watered down version that basically allows you to shoot tactical with a .308. Other guns can be 9mm or whatever!

Do check out the rules for whatever match you're interested in, and if you live anywhere near Raton, NM (or even if you're far away) sign up for your first 3-Gun match at the He-Man National Championship! Big guns EVERYWHERE!!!! If you have a travelling buddy, family member, offspring or whatever who doesn't like the big guns, we have some slots in "wee-man" so they can shoot, too!

http://home.earthlink.net/~johnson3gun/

We have some really fun stages planned! There will be some cash and guns on the prize table and it's only $150!!!! What a bargain!

Denise :rolleyes:

editted because I can't spell!

Edited by Benelli Chick

I would love to shoot heavy metal. There's nothing like running a pump 12 gauge in a match, but I like it because I run one fairly well(it's what I shoot in limited with right now), and I think it would be a big asset to me in shooting heavy metal division. The thing that keeps me from shooting in the division is the initial cost. I don't own a .45 or a .308 semi-auto rifle. The cost of buying those two pieces of equipment is above my pay grade right now(I'm a teacher and so is my wife, and my second baby will hopefully be born in the next few days). The cost of ammunition would be a little offset because I do relaod but I'm having a problem coming up with $2500+ to sink into a new rifle and pistol. So right now cost is the only thing keeping me out. Now if someone let me shoot the division with my .357 mag I might be able to scrounge money in a few months for a new rifle. :)

BP

• 2 weeks later...

If youve got the pump you can get started for well under $2500. I run a Glock 21 and AR-10. My pistol is stock except for a 3.5# connector and Dawson Sights. My rifle was a stock flattop that Ive upgraded along and along. Im competitive at local matches and have a good time. Guys with a financial interest in selling equipment keep alot of folks out of the shooting sports IMO. They have convinced everyone they need expensive custom gear out of the gate. You dont. You just need enough to be safe and shoot. Upgrade as you can.

Edited by LSnSC