Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Another TV Gun Show (Discovery Channel)

The_Vigilante

I'd still like to see the proof that he was a sworn LEO.

I read somewhere that he served as Chief of Police in Alma, CO (pop. <150) for a short tenure before he unsuccessfully ran for Sheriff of Jefferson County back in 2002. After that he supposedly was a Reserve Officer for some years but never again served as a full-time LEO.

Edited by Cy Soto

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd still like to see the proof that he was a sworn LEO.

I read somewhere that he served as Chief of Police in Alma, CO (pop. <150) for a short tenure before he unsuccessfully ran for Sheriff of Jefferson County back in 2002. After that he supposedly was a Reserve Officer for some years but never again served as a full-time LEO.

Realize that in Colorado, you can be elected Sheriff, appointed Cheif and NOT be a POST certified LEO. In fact I know the guy who teaches the "New" sheriffs and chiefs class.

• 4 weeks later...

...The Master Gunsmith (likely a member of Mealteam6) ...

Mealteam6

I can't stop laughing.

First time I have ever seen a lathe ran by a man sitting on a milking stool. Keeps that belly from bumping the contol levers. I have acutally seen a large fellow kick the spindle on that way.

I must be one of the odd ones.

I like guns, shooting and seeing responsible owners on TV. Yeah I even like watching american hoggers. As long as they are not committing crimes or hurting anyone I think the more guns are on TV the better it is for us gun owners.

Don't fool yourself for a minute into thinking that this show (or any like it) puts gun owners in a positive light.

These shows don't help us as a portrayal of responsible gun owners. They simply further validate all the asinine and stupid cliche's of gun owners. The show consistently showcases barely capable idiots who can't seem to shoot a single thing without filling it full of tannerite and explosives. Then cater to the extreme's of the gun owner contuum (swarovski crystals and diamonds on your slide...really?) which only further alienates those who could potentially become interested in the shooting sports and further validates the negativity that our opposition would like to portray.

I like guns, shooting and seeing responsible owners on TV. Yeah I even like watching american hoggers. As long as they are not committing crimes or hurting anyone I think the more guns are on TV the better it is for us gun owners.

Don't fool yourself for a minute into thinking that this show (or any like it) puts gun owners in a positive light.

These shows don't help us as a portrayal of responsible gun owners. They simply further validate all the asinine and stupid cliche's of gun owners. The show consistently showcases barely capable idiots who can't seem to shoot a single thing without filling it full of tannerite and explosives. Then cater to the extreme's of the gun owner contuum (swarovski crystals and diamonds on your slide...really?) which only further alienates those who could potentially become interested in the shooting sports and further validates the negativity that our opposition would like to portray.

Well stated.

Damn Craig....were you looking over my shoulder when you typed this?

+100

Not fooling myself, but I do have my own opinion. I have people in my family that are not the gun nut type that like the shows and don't see them as putting gun owners in the bad light you so slanderously state.

Not fooling myself, but I do have my own opinion. I have people in my family that are not the gun nut type that like the shows and don't see them as putting gun owners in the bad light you so slanderously state.

I'd reconsider using "slanderously" as a descriptor. Craig (and admittedly...I) have simply had different experiences.

Because they're different from yours doesn't make them a lie.

Trying to make a point to you and others here, Mark.

I think I get your point, Jon.

There's a lot of folks out there that wouldn't give hoot in Hell for anything firearms-related if it weren't for shows like this. In that respect, they do good for all of us.

My only issue with your post was the characterization that we were somehow slandering that POS.

:devil:

Trying to make a point to you and others here, Mark.

I am not quite sure why you chose to make a personal accusation of slander, but this is simply a discussion. You can disagree and I am sure there are those who do not know any better that can enjoy the show as entertainment. At the same time there are many that do not get that same feeling when they watch the show.

To say the shows depict shooters in a positive light is a stretch. Both Sons of Guns and American Guns have routinely (scripted or not) required the response of emergency crews due to their activities. What does this show the average viewer? The gun handling is generally atrocious on a good day, and the drama displayed does nothing but indicate that those cast members involved (and by extension gun owners in general) are hot headed and unable to control their emotional response to confrontation or conflict.

At any rate, I don't think that it is "slanderous" in the least to suggest that these programs oftentimes portray gun owners in a negative light. Given the level of scripting that is obvious, I would also propose that it isn't by accident.

Mealteam6

I can't stop laughing.

First time I have ever seen a lathe ran by a man sitting on a milking stool. Keeps that belly from bumping the contol levers. I have acutally seen a large fellow kick the spindle on that way.

Hey I'm glad someone got it.

All the talk about showing shooters and the gun culture in a good light, I think the shows that highlight the abilities and genuine personalities of shooters is good for our image. A lot of the public have no idea of the athletic ability and skills that have been developed in the shooting sports. Something other than the overweight beer guzzling road sign shooting idiots we are usually portrayed as.

Mealteam6

I can't stop laughing.

Hey I'm glad someone got it.

All the talk about showing shooters and the gun culture in a good light, I think the shows that highlight the abilities and genuine personalities of shooters is good for our image. A lot of the public have no idea of the athletic ability and skills that have been developed in the shooting sports. Something other than the overweight beer guzzling road sign shooting idiots we are usually portrayed as.

Athletes are not as entertaining to watch as Hillbillies and toothless wonders. These are scripted and made for entertainment TV. It is my hope that these producers will move on to other topics.

A few of the shows I've sent to the trash heap:

Custom motorcycle builders, with a family feud or lots of Tattoos.

Catfish hand catchers,

any show on MTV

Dog catchers

snake wranglers

Steven Segal Lawjoke

Ice road truckers

Gold Rush

This show is extra funny for local Colorado people to watch because it shows how over the top some of the stuff they do is. For example, the "Lets take the Helicopter to the customer" situations. This guys shop is in north west Denver which is near the mountains. His potential customers that he is "Flying To" are only about 10 - 15 miles from his shop, which is what a 15 minute drive? The thing they don't tell you, but us locals can see is that he is renting a Helicopter from a regional airport that is in WAY south Denver. Then basically flies back up to where his shop is to go to his customer. It takes about an hour to drive from his shop to this helicopter rental place in south Denver then however long it takes to fly back up towards a customer that is already close to his shop. The whole Helicopter this is totally retarded. Any real business man with a time crunch, which they always seem to be in, would simply drive to their customer instead of wasting half a day and a bunch of $$$ to take a Helicopter to a customer location that is only a 15 minute drive away.

The other thing that I don't get is how he has this horde of "Gunsmiths" that get tasked with custom jobs but some how can't complete them unless the owner steps in and shows them how to do it. REALLY???!!! If you are a business owner and have a bunch of know nothing "monkeysmiths" working for you how on earth could you ever get anything done or make money?

The last nail in the coffin for me is their staged shooting "Challenges". I just don't get how setting up a huge piece of fruit out 15 yards or less and then shooting it with a rifle is a "Test" of a functionality or even a skill test. Then you have the staged mega explosions which are more dangerous than entertaining.

Overall this show is a complete flop if you ask me. Its 100% staged or scripted and then you don't even get to see decent shooting when there is shooting.

Edited by CHA-LEE

This show is extra funny for local Colorado people to watch because it shows how over the top some of the stuff they do is. For example, the "Lets take the Helicopter to the customer" situations. This guys shop is in north west Denver which is near the mountains. His potential customers that he is "Flying To" are only about 10 - 15 miles from his shop, which is what a 15 minute drive? The thing they don't tell you, but us locals can see is that he is renting a Helicopter from a regional airport that is in WAY south Denver. Then basically flies back up to where his shop is to go to his customer. It takes about an hour to drive from his shop to this helicopter rental place in south Denver then however long it takes to fly back up towards a customer that is already close to his shop. The whole Helicopter this is totally retarded. Any real business man with a time crunch, which they always seem to be in, would simply drive to their customer instead of wasting half a day and a bunch of $$$ to take a Helicopter to a customer location that is only a 15 minute drive away.

The other thing that I don't get is how he has this horde of "Gunsmiths" that get tasked with custom jobs but some how can't complete them unless the owner steps in and shows them how to do it. REALLY???!!! If you are a business owner and have a bunch of know nothing "monkeysmiths" working for you how on earth could you ever get anything done or make money?

The last nail in the coffin for me is their staged shooting "Challenges". I just don't get how setting up a huge piece of fruit out 15 yards or less and then shooting it with a rifle is a "Test" of a functionality or even a skill test. Then you have the staged mega explosions which are more dangerous than entertaining.

Overall this show is a complete flop if you ask me. Its 100% staged or scripted and then you don't even get to see decent shooting when there is shooting.

Are you telling me I wont get explosions when I get my SS back from Rich at Canyon Creek? I should have sent it to these guys, darn it, I messed up again. :D

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Flipping channels and caught this guy selling a S&W Governor ($800 pistol) and a Mossberg VIP .223 ($500 rifle) to some guy from Florida for 8 grand....did a trigger job on the S&W and bedded the stock and polished the action on the rifle....Oh, they engraved a 3" alligator on the stock of the rifle and some foofoo engraving on the revo cylinder all for the a small additional charge of $6,700...and people believe this stuff

U see the episode where the blonde from Texas brought here white AR15 and trade it in with $7000 or So to buy a custom white JP AR10 style rifle? I hope they only used those numbers to create hype instead of raping that poor woman. See got a $5k duracoat job.