Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm Major

t_telecom

I'm fairly new to 9mm major. Is there any reason that you shouldn't use VV-N340 for 9 major? I just got back from chronoing a couple rounds. I found one old post where someone said they used VV N340,7.2grs, 124-FMG, MG and OAL, 1.165 but no other info. I didn't see any problems with primers etc... However I wanted to check with more experienced shooters before I continue.

124-MG-FMJ

6.8grs VV N340

Vel - 1366 - PF - 169

Vel - 1367 - PF - 169

340 is less than ideal as an Open powder simply because there are slower powders that provide more gas to work the comp and ports in your gun.

If you are sticking with a Vhit powder 3n37 is great in 9mm and 3n38 will work but it fills the case very full and makes loading a pain.

If you are open to other brands of powder Ramshot Silhouette works great.

BTW for me both the 3n37 and Ramshot Silhouette loads started in the 7.5g range.

I found 3N37 took up too much case for my liking as I was having trouble getting consistent oal's. I tried Silhouette but it took a lot to get my gun to make major.

I settled Winchester Autocomp. The case is nowhere near full at even 7.4.

My load in a 5"gun: 7.4 WAC @1.17 with MG 121 IFP=174 pf.

Edited by Kevin Sanders

I'm fairly new to 9mm major. Is there any reason that you shouldn't use VV-N340 for 9 major?

124-MG-FMJ

Sorry, I've never tried N340 - I've heard it's great for 9mm minor loads,

but I wouldn't use FMJ bullets - (actually I did for a year) - clogged up

my comp and took a lot of work to unclog the lead out - stay with bullets

that have no lead exposed.

The powders I've read about and used for 9mm major tend to be WAC, HS6

(I've used both and they're very good); plus some other powders that I

haven't tried - you'll see them mentioned by others.

I'm surprised you achieved such high velocity with N340 - how was the

muzzle rise? Did it seem the comp was working properly?

Jack

Muzzle rise was minimal and it felt very soft to shoot. I'm going to load up 30 more and go shoot them and see what happens in my comp. I would think with a CMJ bullet you might not get much leading in the comp? Those two rounds were shot through a full size Bedell with no holes in the barrel, CCI small pistol primers with mixed headstamp brass. With 6.8 grains the case is maybe 3/16" from the top, just a hair less than with 3N37.I'm going to do some more testing? I have been shooting 3N37 and I like it very much. I just had this N340 setting here that I bought for my limited gun so I thought I would try it? According to the burn rate chart on the VV website it's not as fast burning as HS6?

Thanks for the response's.

I have reallt fell in love with autocomp. 124 gr jhp with 7.1 grains of AC @ 1.165 and small rifle primers make 170 in my t2 comp trubor and 174 in my t1 comp trubor. best 9mm major load i have found. I have not tried 3n37 or Silhouette though yet.

I have reallt fell in love with autocomp. 124 gr jhp with 7.1 grains of AC @ 1.165 and small rifle primers make 170 in my t2 comp trubor and 174 in my t1 comp trubor. best 9mm major load i have found. I have not tried 3n37 or Silhouette though yet.

+1 - I switched from HS6 115 grain to WAC 124 grain,

and love it - soft and handles well.

Jack

• 1 month later...

+1 - I switched from HS6 115 grain to WAC 124 grain,

and love it - soft and handles well.

Jack

Another great powder is 7625, very soft and flat like autocomp.

I wasn't able to make major with N350 in a full size gun. I would not have thought N340 had any chance of working.

I don't have any problems making major, in 9mm, with N350 behind a Zero, 125 grain jhp. :surprise:

I wasn't able to make major with N350 in a full size gun. I would not have thought N340 had any chance of working.

I don't have any problems making major, in 9mm, with N350 behind a Zero, 125 grain jhp. :surprise:

7.2gr N350 got me 1310.6fps (162.5PF) with MG 124 JHPs (5.4" KKM barrel), with worse pressure signs than I've seen from any other 9 Major load. I gave up at that point.

Hello: I use VV 3N37, Silhouette, Auto Comp, and HS-6. I still keep coming back to HS-6 at 171-173PF. I use a 115 grain bullet and rifle primers or magnum primers. I will use up my 5 pounds of 3N37 over the winter and not get any again because of cost and heat it puts in the gun on 50 round practice sessions. For a match it is ok. Thanks, Eric

I'm fairly new to 9mm major. Is there any reason that you shouldn't use VV-N340 for 9 major? I just got back from chronoing a couple rounds. I found one old post where someone said they used VV N340,7.2grs, 124-FMG, MG and OAL, 1.165 but no other info. I didn't see any problems with primers etc... However I wanted to check with more experienced shooters before I continue.

124-MG-FMJ

6.8grs VV N340

Vel - 1366 - PF - 169

Vel - 1367 - PF - 169

Burn rate charts are not very accurate, another indicator is how much powder it takes to get to major. N340 looks a bit fast at 6.8, but then again Autocomp will do it with 7.0 and it actually works well for 9 major w/124gr.

The most common powders for 9 major 124gr CMJ @1.165 and I will list them in my preference order *IMHO YMMV * Silhouette 7.7gr, AutoComp 7gr, HS-6 8.3gr, AA#7 **10gr, **3N38, 3N37, on my not recommended list TruBlue IMR7625, N350. **Note that aa#7 and 3N38 need an OAL of 1.180 or longer using a CMJ or RN. Another factor is you slide weight and Cone Or Bull, recoil springs, 8 and 9# for heavy slides and Bulls and 10# for a light slide and Cone Comps, but it is about preference. I have a 7 oz silde in a shorty takes a 11 or 12# spring.

Agree with Eric on 3n37 it is the titegroup of open guns, melts down the machine.

Depending on the Comp and other factors 115gr or 121 gr might shoot better, but always verify the accuracy of your load, I shoot groups at 50 yards for this. My gun will do a 3" group with 124gr but with 115gr went to 10". (using a rest). Always check the Zero after a load change, you will be suprised how much it can move with a differnt powder. The difference in recoil and flip was almost undetectable, YMMV.

Edited by CocoBolo

I've used both 3N37 and Silhouette - both are pretty good. The 3N37 is cleaner and works the comp just a bit better in my gun, 5 inch with Brazos comp and no holes.

I took a Brazos off my gun and put one of these on http://www.dawsonprecision.com/ProductDetail.jsp?LISTID=1E50000-1094593465 . The Brazos needs some help with a couple poppel holes that is why his guns have the holes. You can drive a bus thru that comp, that is why you don't have to ream them when you install them, but you never have trouble with bullets hitting the comp. Very good comp if using a hybrid in 38SC. If you want some gas for that comp load up some 124/5gr with 10gr of AA#7 at 1.185.

I use 6.8 AutoComp w/ MG 124hp in my Open Glock 17. Makes 172PF and VERY accurate. I'm not experienced enough to talk about muzzle flip and the like but what's not to like? Now if I can just get it to eject every time I might have have something. :goof: Yes, it has an SJC mount w/ C More Slideride and the port has been milled down. Still have the issue. Rats! :wacko:

Now if I can just get it to eject every time I might have have something.

Could be extractor, ejector or your mags - I kept having

problem ejecting every once in a while, and it turned out

to be ONE of my mags - that solved the problem. (Sorry

about hijacking the thread).

Now if I can just get it to eject every time I might have have something.

Could be extractor, ejector or your mags - I kept having

problem ejecting every once in a while, and it turned out

to be ONE of my mags - that solved the problem. (Sorry

about hijacking the thread).

Any time you have an unexpected issue with the gun, take the mag put it in the range bag, find the round involved put it with the mag. When you get home get the calipers and drop check out and determine if it was ammo. If you ran the rest of the match without an issue then think mag. I ran for a year without a mag problem then went crazy with isues, replaced all the springs, it was all good.

Extractors need to be removed and the tunnel cleaned about every 1 to 2K rounds. The tunned gets full of caca.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

To Buckaroo 45:

My response (I'm new to the forum) may be dated. I hope you've solved your feeding/extracting problem. For what it's worth, I had the same problem and it was the magazine. I had Beven Grams at Grams Engineering build me new springs and followers (where the spring wire actually goes through the follower) and he showed me how to use an exacto knife to ream out the excess plastic at thea bottom of the mag. Then I attached Taylor Freelance 10 rd extensions and my gun (Glock 17 open built by Bobby Carver) run beautifully. Im using 6.6 gn of AutoComp, Fed small pistol primers and 1.145 OAL. My recoil spring weight is 15 lbs but I'm going to experiment with lighter ones. Regardless, the gun is smooth, runs clean and rarely has a hiccup.

I am looking for a good starting load for 9 mm Major using N-350 with a 124 gr CMJ bullet.

Any help will be appreciated.

6,9 grain N350 with a 124 gr bullet makes major(167pf) out of my full size Gun ( no poppel holes ).