Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Local hot dog?

Steve Anderson

Most local matches have one guy that wins everything, every time.

You know who you are. :) You could zero a stage (or 2) and win the match.

You practice more than anyone and your self-image (locally) is that of Tom Cruise ridin' a Ninja on his way to diddle the hottie.

But maybe you struggle at regionals, maybe you're just out of the top 16 at Nationals.

(I think I just wrote my autobiography, or maybe even inscribed my own tombstone)

But here's what I think you should do:

Shoot major and declare minor.

Obviously this applies to those divisions where you need to make major...

You'll need to shoot points to win.

Just like at regionals or nationals.

Would that rattle your cage a little?

Who's got the goods to try it?

I wanna hear about it.

Production guys could either add 10% to their times or have the RO score D's as mikes.

A ballsy production hotshot could declare Limited 10, Limited, or Open! Let's apply some pressure.

Edited by Steve Anderson

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Unfortunately/fortunately I have chatted with Steve before in relation to an article I was writing.

I have shot minor quite a few times in local matches.

Not too long ago I was lucky to have 50% A shots, now that has improved significantly.

At the 50 yard standards at WSSSC a couple years ago I was ~14th. Not too shabby for a B senior shooter.

There is a guy named Lizard in Co. I think he won C production Nationals by shooting all As.

Accuracy counts.

What worked best for me to earn maximum points while shooting at competition speed was to associate a significant monetary penalty with getting poor hits. I would "Bill" myself for poor hits during a match. 1 Miss = $15, 1 No Shoot = $10, 1 D = $5. I would tally up my misses, no shoots, and D's for every match and put the money aside to fund non-shooting family activities. After creating a tangible penalty for shooting with poor accuracy my on target hit quality got WAY better. It should not take too many $100+ penalty club matches to get the point across that you need to start hitting what you are aiming at :ph34r:

Everyone learns differently though. I am "Penalty" motivated. If there isn't a significant enough penalty associated with doing something wrong then I don't care about doing it right.

Edited by CHA-LEE

What worked best for me to earn maximum points while shooting at competition speed was to associate a significant monetary penalty with getting poor hits. I would "Bill" myself for poor hits during a match. 1 Miss = $15, 1 No Shoot = $10, 1 D = $5. I would tally up my misses, no shoots, and D's for every match and put the money aside to fund non-shooting family activities. After creating a tangible penalty for shooting with poor accuracy my on target hit quality got WAY better. It should not take too many $100+ penalty club matches to get the point across that you need to start hitting what you are aiming at :ph34r:

Everyone learns differently though. I am "Penalty" motivated. If there isn't a significant enough penalty associated with doing something wrong then I don't care about doing it right.

Actually that sounds like a win-win scenario... You shoot well OR you have lots of money for family! roflol.gif

I like these idea.... I need to work something out with my friends... maybe create a pool of money for bad hits at matches.... not sure what we'd do with the money though.

EDIT: I'm certainly not the local hot dog.. but I like the idea of shooting Limited minor... I've done it before.

Edited by lugnut

I like the idea.

I am not winning my local matches but I still consider myself a hot dog :roflol:. Some bad habits have creeped in recently and I like this idea, or Chalee's idea.

Another thought is to have a "Mike Pool"...or even a Mike & D pool between you and your friends. For each Mike or D you have to put a dollar (or $5 or whatever) into the pot. Most accurate guy at the end of the day takes the pot.

I just challenged my friends- $1 for each Mike, NS or Delta. Shooter with the most As wins it all! Love this stuff!

The best part about this challenge is a B shooter can have the same chance as an A or Master level shooter as well. HFs and Time aren't in this equation.

Edited by lugnut

Slight thread drift here, but a little game me and some of the other local hot dogs like to play is called "Guess Your Time". ;)

The rules are simple ... Guess your time before you shoot a stage, and the one who comes closest to their actual time, wins, and gets a free beer bought by the others who agreed to play.

It might not improve your accuracy, but it gets you thinking about your draw time, reloads, splits, trans. and general shooting times.

I just challenged my friends- $1 for each Mike, NS or Delta. Shooter with the most As wins it all! Love this stuff!

The best part about this challenge is a B shooter can have the same chance as an A or Master level shooter as well. HFs and Time aren't in this equation.

I've played this game once. My scope mount came loose and I had to hit an ATM after the match.

I've played this game once. My scope mount came loose and I had to hit an ATM after the match.

roflol.gif

LOL...

I found my self not able to punch the speed ticket and always making too many As in events, but me speed was just slow on splits.

So I went the other way on score and decided to shoot more C hits.

It kinda backfired on me , I watched the gun move from the A to the C as the shot broke = thin I was making slow C hits.

I herd that Women say that speed is not always a virtue :blush:

I really would like a few guys to try this and report back, so let's hear from the guys who are gonna do it.

Well...let's see.

- You and I originated the "Alpha-bet".

- I've shot matches with my G26, carry gun...out of my carry holster (Glock Sports holster with lots of retention).

- I've shot Minor in Major divisions.

- I've shot my Production gun in Limited (not sure that counts :) ).

- I've shot Glocks without sights.

- I've shot 1911's without sights.

- I've shot a mix-match of assorted ammo.

- I shot a Steel match this year (with others) with my J-frame.