Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What chokes for 3-Gun

So I'm about to get serious about 3-Gun this year and plan on going to the RM3G in 2012... I just ordered a FN SLP Mk1 which for those that don't know is a 22" self loader that is threaded for chokes. It comes with Improved Cylinder and Standard Invector Modified chokes. What other chokes will I need? My plan is to stick with one set of ammo and adjust chokes as needed for different stages. Thanks if advance for the help.

Jason

I run the same gun and use a LM most of the time. I carry 5 more chokes, up to extra full. 3Gun MDs are evil. One load and many chokes or one choke and many loads may not always be enough.

I'd suggest you carry at least a box of spreaders, and a box of heavy 4, 5, or 6s. I also carry some buckshot too. 75% of the time, a light mod with 7.5 or 8 1-1/8 ounce loads are perfect.

The Shotgun only stage at RM3G this year had shots from 5 yards to about 30 yards. Flying, flipping and swinging clays, poppers and even sniper plates. You could change chokes on the clock, but you would lose a lot of time.

I almost never use my LM choke for this reason: If I don't have to aim, IC. If I have to aim a little, I might as well aim a lot and run mod. I've got IM for when mod is not enough. I carry a full but I've never used it.

For me it's:

1. IC

2. LM

3. MOD

4. IM

5. Full

Edited by DyNo!

I use a Briley extended LM 90% of the time. I keep a Briley Diffusion in the range bag for clays and hoser steel. I also have a full just in case there is a spinner or some if those pesky 4" plates with mud sticking them to the stands.

Pesky is putting it nicley...Stinking 4" plates :angry:

I use a Briley extended LM 90% of the time. I keep a Briley Diffusion in the range bag for clays and hoser steel. I also have a full just in case there is a spinner or some if those pesky 4" plates with mud sticking them to the stands.

What did you use on the charcoal at the Nordic match?

Doug

Doug

Diffusion

Doug

Diffusion

I normally run a mod, but I carry an IC and IM in my bag. I borrowed a rifled choke for the charcoal stage and just purchased a Briley Extended Diffusion for future matches.

Doug

I'd suggest you carry at least a box of spreaders

When you say "spreaders", are you talking about size 9 shot?

I'd go with the Fiocchi 8.5s. I actually carry a box of 7.5s and 8.5s or 9s. Don't use them a lot, but when you need them, you need them.

Patterned the diffusion choke...okay for a mix of close and slugs, but over 18 yards, too sparse of a pattern.

Just an FYI, some Fiocchi spreaders have a crimp that lets some pellets fall out. Got a few in my tube on an all shotgun stage...bad.

I check them and put a small dab of RTV right in the middle to glue the crimp. No ill effect on performance.

I'd suggest you carry at least a box of spreaders

When you say "spreaders", are you talking about size 9 shot?

I'd go with the Fiocchi 8.5s. I actually carry a box of 7.5s and 8.5s or 9s. Don't use them a lot, but when you need them, you need them.

Patterned the diffusion choke...okay for a mix of close and slugs, but over 18 yards, too sparse of a pattern.

I haven't patterned the spreaders vs. the diffusion yet. Did you? What does a spreader do through a diffusion?

And just to throw a wrench into things;

I shot the shotgun stage at RM3G with a diffusion choke and #7.5 light target AAs. One miss and one no-shoot...79% for the stage in my division. Not a bad run, I could have been faster, but running the match kinda got in the way... :rolleyes:

I tend to use a diffusion choke most of the time and usually shoot a heavier than normal load, #6 1.125oz at 3.25dram. I will get the small shot spreaders out once ina while and shoot them thru the diffuser, but only really close hoser stuff. also will use a lighter load, #7.5 3dram AA light target load. A BB load and some 00 are usually in my bag as well...But I will choke up when I need to and then I have all them same ammo choices for that choke. tightest I have used is a M, but I do have a full.

Point is, use what you feel comfortable with but be flexible. I have found that as soon as you make a simple rule like you have (one choke, change ammo for the target, or one ammo change chokes for the target) then a stage that "devil MD" came up with at the very next match you shoot will prove that rule wrong. Pattern all ammo you plan to use with every choke you have, and check slug zero with all your chokes. (IMHO shooting slugs thru a full choke being dangerous is a myth, but that probably should be another thread) Having a lot available in your bag isn't a mistake, but it is a mistake trying to knock down that small popper at 35 yards with a light load...or shooting (at) aerials with 00 buck...

good luck! :blink:

jj

I haven't patterned the spreaders vs. the diffusion yet. Did you? What does a spreader do through a diffusion?

Of course I have...

Rem 1100 Tac @ 10 yards:

Mod Choke: Win 7.5 had a 6" pattern, Fiocchi Spreaders had a 14" pattern, B&P Spreaders had a 12.5" pattern.

Briley Diffusion Choke: Win 7.5 had a 11" pattern, Fiocchi Spreaders 16" pattern, B&P Spreaders 16" pattern.

Rem 1100 Tac @ 25 yards:

Mod Choke: Win 7.5 had a 14" pattern, Fiocchi Spreaders had a 32" pattern, B&P Spreaders had a 35" pattern (a bit spotty).

Briley Diffusion Choke: Win 7.5 had a 28" pattern (spotty), Fiocchi Spreaders over 36", huge holes.

With 3 brands of slugs, 50 yard group sizes were about the same with the mod and diffusion choke with about a 2" lower POI for the diffusion.

We also shot through IC and C chokes which are not as good for the spreaders, especially the B&P. LM and M appear to be almost identical from my SLP. The more open you have a choke on the spreaders, the less effective they are. The realatively open choke of the diffusion combined with the "rifling" really goes to crap past about 20 yards. Based on the patterns, if you go to 20 yards with a diffusion, you will start to have targets end up in the holes for some percentage, sure maybe only 10% or from 20 to 25 yards, but misses due to holes in the pattern are not worth it. If all the shots are inside 15 yards without an tight shots, the diffusion might be okay.

This is exactly what I do. worked well at Rockcastle for me. However, ...

I almost never use my LM choke for this reason: If I don't have to aim, IC. If I have to aim a little, I might as well aim a lot and run mod. I've got IM for when mod is not enough. I carry a full but I've never used it.

For me it's:

1. IC

2. LM

3. MOD

4. IM

5. Full

This makes a lot of sense IF you don't have to go back and forth between aiming and not aiming on a particular stage, e.g the Rockcastle courses of fire. Like both of these guys, I carry a full choke but have never used it. I should have at Area 6 Multi-gun last year. I really ought to pattern that thing someday.

So I'm about to get serious about 3-Gun this year and plan on going to the RM3G in 2012... I just ordered a FN SLP Mk1 which for those that don't know is a 22" self loader that is threaded for chokes. It comes with Improved Cylinder and Standard Invector Modified chokes. What other chokes will I need? My plan is to stick with one set of ammo and adjust chokes as needed for different stages. Thanks if advance for the help.

Jason

I have been running a Light Modified most of the time based on advice here and it works. The only time I need to choke up is long range steel and that damn spinner thing. Then I go up to an improved Modified. That is with my Saiga. With my Benelli in tactical I need to get a LM choke so with it I run IC or Modified depending on the stage. Sometimes Full.

Pat

• 3 months later...

what are some recommended sources/vendors for chokes?

Briley end of story. I like the extended black ones. The black looks ATAS and the extended is almost mandatory for changing Chinese with a mag tube sticking out past the end of the barrel. Beg them to throw in a wrench and a 3 choke case too.

Briley end of story. I like the extended black ones. The black looks ATAS and the extended is almost mandatory for changing Chinese with a mag tube sticking out past the end of the barrel. Beg them to throw in a wrench and a 3 choke case too.

good tip, thanks!