Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Burris MTAC

I just received my MTAC and it didn't come with lens covers like my TAC30 did. Did anyone's MTAC come with lens covers?

Mine did not. No plastic lens covers with the rubber strap, no microfiber cloth cover. Just the manuals, and a battery.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I just received my MTAC and it didn't come with lens covers like my TAC30 did. Did anyone's MTAC come with lens covers?

Mine did not. No plastic lens covers with the rubber strap, no microfiber cloth cover. Just the manuals, and a battery.

Mine the same.

Got mine today also, and no covers. Loving it so far. Trying to find time to shoot it now! Anyone got a Switchview lever yet?

I sent the specs to cdrissel. I dont know if he is planning on making them or not. Being a brand spanking new scope, I doubt anything is available. However, the OD of the power ring is 1.745", and the set-screw is recessed (on mine) so if there is another cat-tail with VERY close specs, it would work. Neither the TAC30 or XTR cat-tails will work.

Edited by Kevin Holman

Looks like a nice scope, I'm glad to hear they've got something with an easier on-off dial. The push button on the Tac30 is my only gripe about the scope. I don't see myself upgrading to the MTAC just for the adjustment knob, and for $100 more... kinda silly of them to go with a diffrent ocular setup as well. It really looks like the XTR with taller knobs but I guess not.

Got mine today also, and no covers. Loving it so far. Trying to find time to shoot it now! Anyone got a Switchview lever yet?

I sent the specs to cdrissel. I dont know if he is planning on making them or not. Being a brand spanking new scope, I doubt anything is available. However, the OD of the power ring is 1.745", and the set-screw is recessed (on mine) so if there is another cat-tail with VERY close specs, it would work. Neither the TAC30 or XTR cat-tails will work.

Thanks Kevin,

I just got one yesterday and will have a Cat Tail for is ASAP.

:cheers:

Crossgun, then something is wrong. Did you try a new battery? Mine are very bright.

+1 on the battery. The Burris scopes are some of the brightest around at least for the TAC 30, MTAC and XTR.

Mine is super bright. Had it out in full daylight and could see it no problem. Check your battery.

:cheers:

Cant tell mine is even illuminated on a sunny day on the highest setting. Bummer!

Mine was the same way. I even went out and bought new batteries, and swapped the batteries with my TAC.

It is obvious to me that either some people are getting brighter reticles than others (variance in the manufacturing lines), or some people have differing perspectives on this topic.

I put an old battery in the MTAC and was not impressed with the daylight visibility. After reading some posts I put a new battery in and it is MUCH brighter, good daylight visibility. The reticle works great with my 55 nosler load. Shot it out to 500 yards yesteday. I ended up sighting in top of dot for 100, center dot for 200 and the 3,4 & 5 aiming points were right on the money. I'm really pleased with this scope.

• 3 weeks later...

Just picked up an MTAC for either my 3-gun rifle or my 6.8. It's dark outside so I'll have to check the reticle illumination tomorrow before I mount her up. I'm afraid I may be spoiled by the Accupoint but we'll see.

Anyway.....did anybody notice that the objective lens is recessed close to 1 1/2" from the front of the tube.......weird. Nice for protecting it from brake blast, not so fun from a cleaning standpoint.

Just wanted to throw my 2 cents in for the Tac or MTAC... I had been disappointed with the recital over the last few month. I haven't used at much more than 75 yards. I felt the center dot was too big for precision work. BUT... I just shot a "Precision RIfle" match today with my new 18" 3-Gun rifle as my second rifle for the day to break it in and get some DOPE info... I was so impressed with the TAC! It was awesome... Even without any DOPE on the rifle and my load, I was able to make most of my hits from 200 to 550 yards. The recital was great. I never used the illumination during the shoot but was very happy with the quality of the glass and recital throughout the day. I'll be using the same rifle at the TBATC in November and will have more input after that.

I just checked out my MTAC in broad daylight....and the illumination on 10 is all but unnoticeable. Before I even checked, I installed a new battery of known vintage.

I have not mounted it and may not now. I'm just not sure how important the illumination would be in different situations....and couldn't know unless I mounted it up and tried it, which would likely negate my being able to return it.

I sent an email to Burris to ask if there is an adjustment they could make to the electronics in house at their Greeley location as I'm in easy driving distance. I'll report back on their response.

• 2 weeks later...

I just shot my new MTAC for the first time in a 3-gun comp. I gave my Tac 30 to my son for his new rifle so I am familiar with the reticle. I have shot at least a thousand rounds thru the Tac 30. DPMS 3g-1, 18", 1-8 barrel.

It was a bright sunny day with a lot of wind. I never turned on the illumionated reticle. Didn't need it. Only use it on overcast days. I shoot 75gr Privi Partisan shells at long distance, 100 plus, and 55gr PMC for everything else. I zeroed it at about 3" high at 100yds with the PP loads. At 25yds I am 3" low, and at 50yds 1" low. The rifle part of the match was all long range from 100 to 480 yds and everything in between. The distances were posted so you knew what you were shooting. From 100 out to 250 I kept the crosshair on the target and hit everything. At 300 used the first dot and was right on. 400 I used the second dot and again was right on. At the longest 480yds I used the 500 yard dot and kept it on the bottom of the target. At this point there was a 25 mph left to right wind and I was holding about 3 feet off and was all around the 18" steel swinger target but ran out of time before hitting it.

The glass is exceptionall clear and in my opinion better than the Tac30. We put the Tac 30 on my son's new rifle, an Olympic arms flat top with standard light 16" barrel and shooting 55gr Pmc he hit out to 300yds with no problem. The wind caused a lot of headaches after that.

All in all I am sold on these Burris scopes.

I got my MTAC a few days ago ( bikini caps included) and just received a P.E.P.R QD mt. & flip up caps today. Won't have the rifle (DPMS 3G-1) to the range for a couple more days, but my first thoughts are ; the glass is really clear, the reticle looks well thought out ,the scope/mount combo seems like it'll take a beating and I like the light control. The only downside I see is it seems a little heavy and I don't see a way to reset the elev. & windage scale after zeroing. The folks that got wimpy light should raise the roof and get a replacement on the dealers dime. Looking through mine today scanning roofs& tree tops from my upstairs deck / sunny afternoon the illumination needed to get dialed down to mid range to keep from being a real distraction. As gerritm posted he didn't even turn it on, on a bright day to shoot a match, so I think there must be a couple of lemons out there.

Haven't had a chance to get to the range, but I think it's going to be my "new" favorite weapon! All I need is a good zero then go out & Rage!

Safari so good, Mac

By the way if anybody knows how to reset the wind. & elev. scale after zeroing please give a shout ...Thanks

Edited by Running Dog

I just checked out my MTAC in broad daylight....and the illumination on 10 is all but unnoticeable. Before I even checked, I installed a new battery of known vintage.

I have not mounted it and may not now. I'm just not sure how important the illumination would be in different situations....and couldn't know unless I mounted it up and tried it, which would likely negate my being able to return it.

I sent an email to Burris to ask if there is an adjustment they could make to the electronics in house at their Greeley location as I'm in easy driving distance. I'll report back on their response.

What did they have to say?

They said sure, I could drop it off, but it would have to go through the process in the repair shop.....no quick exchange or adjustment.

I ended up returning it and purchasing another one a bit cheaper from another vendor. The illumination is the same. I'll live with it.

They said sure, I could drop it off, but it would have to go through the process in the repair shop.....no quick exchange or adjustment.

I ended up returning it and purchasing another one a bit cheaper from another vendor. The illumination is the same. I'll live with it.

Nothing wrong with the MTAC - but the illumination (as I posted above) is not quite as bright as it was on the previous model - the TAC30.

I got a chance to look through MarkCO's MTAC at the Ozarks match, and it was identical to my MTAC. It is just a bit dimmer than the TAC30 was.

That said, in my last 3 matches, I hardly used illumination. The stages were setup more favoring long range or precision shots, and I used the black reticle more than anything. I have only used the illumination on two stages, where they were primarily close paper IPSC hoser stages. That's where lighting up that reticle works well for me, but not a big deal either way.