Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Burris MTAC

This scope was just released by Burris, in part because the TAC30s were not avaiable. MidwayUSA has the TAC30s in as of now BTW.

Anyway, I've been a big fan of the Tac30s having used them for about a year now. I got the MTAC last week and sighted it in and ran a few drills with it. As far as shooting, reticle, glass etc. I can see no difference between the two. The main changes are there is now a power ring on the MTAC as opposed to the whole occular rotating on the Tac30. The illumination dial is rotary, 10 levels with an off spot in between. The Tac30 has a button you have to push for on, hold 5 seconds for off and push repeatedly to move up and then down (or vice-versa) for brightness. The MTAC does not turn off automatically like the Tac30 though. The MTAC is still a 30mm tube, 1-4x. Both wil be available in 2012, but the TAC30 will probably be phased out. Mine is mounted on the rifle and I will have it at RM3G if anyone wants to take a look at it.

An MTAC in the SixX line, 1-6x with the CQ reticle minus the top T bar...that is what I am asking for next. :ph34r:

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I called SWFA today and switched my order to the MTAC. I was told there is still a 2 week wait on the MTAC's. If anyone can figure out the cat tail size, I need it so I can order it and have it here when my MTAC arrives.

I'll have answers on the levers next week if no one else does by then.

There is a reticle chart in the box, and it is on the Burris website under the 332 sight. Posting from RM3G, setting up stages or I would post it for you. The middle of the 4 dots and hole are 0, 3.3, 6.1, 9.6, 13.6 moa with the bottom of the center dot being 1.1 moa.

I got mine. I like it just fine.

The good:

Same reticle (almost) as the TAC30

Turrets are redesigned from the TAC30 and easily finger adjustable

10 position illumination with off settings between each level

The bad:

Reticle illumination is not as bright as the TAC30. It is about two levels dimmer than my TAC30.

Turrent is not resettable to zero, which makes dialing in elevation not simple (not a big deal with the good BDC reticle)

-----------------------

The zoom ring is not the same size as the TAC30. This means each model of Burris will need a different cat-tail. Outside diameters:

1.745" MTAC

1.554" TAC

1.612" XTR

I was hoping for the perfect 3-gun optic... but I see they still dont make it. I am going to give stronger consideration to the Meopta Z-dot now. Until then, I will keep using my TAC.

As far as butler creek cap sizes:

Eyepiece (rear) size:

1.65" MTAC

1.71" TAC

1.65" XTR

Objective (front) size:

All models are 1.18"

Edited by Kevin Holman

Getting ready to pull the trigger on one since I TAC30 are hard to get. Used to running aimpoint's does the Reticle illumination show in day light well?

Bright sunlit targets = no. You will see a dark reticle.

Dawn/dusk/cloudy = decent.

These illuminated reticles are not the same as a projected parralax free red-dot scope.

Getting ready to pull the trigger on one since I TAC30 are hard to get. Used to running aimpoint's does the Reticle illumination show in day light well?

Yes, and it is slightly brighter than the Tac30.

Ran it at RM3G and it worked splendidly!

Holman must be running something else because his comments are not true for my MTAC.

I am not running something else. I own the XTR, TAC30, and the MTAC.

I'd guess that either:

1. Your MTAC is brighter than mine.

2. My TAC is brighter than yours.

Without question, I am using the brand new MTAC which just shipped. The illumination is good, but not as bright as my pushbutton TAC30, which I have had for a few months.

I love the reticle. It seems to work very well for me. I wish BOTH scopes were brighter, as in the bright Texas sun, with sun hitting the target faces, the illumination washes out into a dark reticle. It does not have a huge impact on my ability to hit targets, but certainly the red would be easier to pick up when hosing than a darker reticle.

I am not knocking the MTAC. I love it. However, I definitely had a different experience than you - as my 3 month old TAC is brighter than my 3 day old MTAC.

We are discussing this same thing over on arfcom.... http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_18/543373_Chance_to_save__100_on_new_Burris_MTAC_1_4x24_Update__Deal_is_Over.html&page=4

These pictures below are not meant to show brightness difference... simply the two reticles side by side. My camera will not perform a good measurement of brightness difference due to focus and flash fill issues... but these two pics were taken at max power, and I'd say do a fair representation of the brightness of the two reticles on a medium lit target, like on a cloudy day.

TAC30 reticle

TAC_reticle.JPG

MTAC reticle

MTAC_reticle.JPG

Edited by Kevin Holman