Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Burris MTAC

I discussed this same thing with Mark.....and his response was like yours Kevin, he rarely used the illumination anyway. I purchased another one on that premise so we'll see how it goes. I've definitely been spoiled by the TR24R in the illumination department.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have been spoiled to my ACOG the Army issued me. When I think illumination I think it's going to be as bright as my ACOG. So when I bought the XTR I was a little disappointed. But after talking to people at the range today they say it is an "awesome" reticle, and they like it a lot. But like highxj said, I'm spoiled to a brighter reticle.

Chris

I have been spoiled to my ACOG the Army issued me. When I think illumination I think it's going to be as bright as my ACOG. So when I bought the XTR I was a little disappointed. But after talking to people at the range today they say it is an "awesome" reticle, and they like it a lot. But like highxj said, I'm spoiled to a brighter reticle.

Chris

The MTAC/Tac30 is defiantrely birghter than the XTRs.

Chris

The MTAC/Tac30 is defiantrely birghter than the XTRs.

Have not looked through the MTAC yet, but the Tac30 is waaay brighter than the XTR reticle.

• 2 weeks later...

So what's the feeling on switching from the Tac30 to the MTAC? I have a Tac30 and like it well enough, but I like the MTAC's illumination adjustment and the power ring vs the whole bell moving. Is it worth the move to the MTAC just for those features? What else is out there in the price range that I should be looking at?

I have both on different rifles. The MTAC is definetly better with a brighter glass and reticle. I like the knob type reticle brightness adjustment. I don't normally turn on the reticle unless it is overcast, but turned it on in full sunlight in my last match and it showed up well. Is it worth changing? I don't think so unless you have a buyer for the Tac30, but the MTAC is a better scope.

• 1 month later...

I just got my Mtac yesterday. Very nice scope. It does almost everything I want. I have also realized that what I think is the perfect doesn't exist. This Mtac is almost the perfect scope to me. I think I would prefer a reticle more like the CMR with (1MOA dot and thinner ring). This is my first 3-gun optic(I've shot Iron sights for years.)

But my question is why do you think that they make the dot so big (2.4MOA)? Doesn't that mean that at 1x the dot will be almost 10 MOA(10" at 100 yards)?

Sell me on this reticle. I really want to be content with this scope. I like everything else about it, just not sure about the reticle.

I just got my Mtac yesterday. Very nice scope. It does almost everything I want. I have also realized that what I think is the perfect doesn't exist. This Mtac is almost the perfect scope to me. I think I would prefer a reticle more like the CMR with (1MOA dot and thinner ring). This is my first 3-gun optic(I've shot Iron sights for years.)

But my question is why do you think that they make the dot so big (2.4MOA)? Doesn't that mean that at 1x the dot will be almost 10 MOA(10" at 100 yards)?

Sell me on this reticle. I really want to be content with this scope. I like everything else about it, just not sure about the reticle.

I love the reticle. In competition, it is rare to have anything smaller than a 3 MOA target. Anything that is set up for 1X shooting will be MUCH large than that. Anything with any medium distance (plate racks at 100yds, small flashers) will be 6-8 MOA, I typically go to a 2x. At 4x for the longer stuff, but by then you are shooting 300yds or more, where the reticle gets closer to 1MOA.

I certainly would not mind a slightly smaller center dot (say 1.5 MOA) but I cannot complain. For everything I use it for, its awesome.

I love the reticle. In competition, it is rare to have anything smaller than a 3 MOA target. Anything that is set up for 1X shooting will be MUCH large than that. Anything with any medium distance (plate racks at 100yds, small flashers) will be 6-8 MOA, I typically go to a 2x. At 4x for the longer stuff, but by then you are shooting 300yds or more, where the reticle gets closer to 1MOA.

I certainly would not mind a slightly smaller center dot (say 1.5 MOA) but I cannot complain. For everything I use it for, its awesome.

Thanks Kevin. I mounted the scope tonight with a AD Recon. I will likely feel better after getting to the range with it.

Shot the MTAC since July and I can't think of a single time where the center dot hurt me. It helped several times. Sure, I'd rather it be 2 MOA, or maybe 1.5 MOA, but any smaller than that I think would be too small. I've tried some scopes with smaller center dots and my times are much slower as i have to find the little spec in the glass. Maybe with younger eyes it would be easier. The only thing I would swap the MTAC for is a 1-6x and I would probably only use that for 6 to 10 targets all year. I shoot the MTAC scope better than the 1.5-6 XTR though.

• 4 weeks later...

Got to look at the 3.5-10 and 6.5-20 today...NICE!

Is there a whole new line of MTAC scopes??

Yes.

The MTAC line will be unveiled at SHOT tomorrow. The 1-4 MTAC was released early since the Tac30s got sold out. The 1-4 MTAC you all have seen. There will also be a 1.5-6 that is the same as the 1-4 except for the power range. The next three, 3.5-10, 4.5-14 and 6.5-20 are aimed at the tactical market and have adjustable parallax. The reticle is the G2B Mil-Dot reticle and the knobs are new Mil-Rad knobs with finger-adjustable/resettable dials.

So no chance of 1 true 1X-6X?

Mick

Got to look at the 3.5-10 and 6.5-20 today...NICE!

Is there a whole new line of MTAC scopes??

Yes.

The MTAC line will be unveiled at SHOT tomorrow. The 1-4 MTAC was released early since the Tac30s got sold out. The 1-4 MTAC you all have seen. There will also be a 1.5-6 that is the same as the 1-4 except for the power range. The next three, 3.5-10, 4.5-14 and 6.5-20 are aimed at the tactical market and have adjustable parallax. The reticle is the G2B Mil-Dot reticle and the knobs are new Mil-Rad knobs with finger-adjustable/resettable dials.