Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2012 Alabama Sectional Championship (Pistol)

Chrono wasn't setup properly. The minimum distance from the front skyscreen to the point of shooting is 10 ft. according to Appendix C2 paragraph 3 of the rule book. The Chrono was only 6'8" from the point of shooting. I paid the $100, filled out an arbitration form, RM conferred with the MD, and since it was clearly not correct, it was thrown out.

Edited by Chris Keen

• Replies 362
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just want to tell everyone THANK YOU .

I had a blast .

This being the 2 time out the gate for a big match we are striving to get better each time . Growing pains hurt .

Was great see everyone and I hope yall had FUN.

After all isn't that why we started shooting any way .

Thanks

Jason Hammett

Ro on stage 9

Couple of quick notes:

You may have seen a recent update to the scores - changed on the USPSA site. It looks like when a single change was made, the computer that it was made from did not have the most recent classification update run against it. In that respect, the results run at the match and first update to USPSA were correct (shooter classification wise). The order of finish did not change overall, just some people's classification. But it would seem if you looked now, that the finish in classifications changed. We a sure we had them right at the awards ceremony. We will get this corrected on the USPSA site.

Yes, the chronograph (PF) was thrown out, however after burning my countless cell phone minutes, NROI ruled that the equipment compliance portion would stand (gun weight, gun size, and magazine length), as those things can be checked at anytime during a match.

MK

Great Job by Mark,Sam and all the RO's and the behind the scene crew that no match can run without. This was my 2nd year in a row i've made this match and it is well worth it.

Also wanted to say i really enjoyed shooting with that Texas group(Kevin G,Elliot,etc..Oh, and i hope Elliot finally got some relief cause he ate way too much during lunch :))also enjoyed watching Chris Keen mow down stage after stage, as well as all the others including my fellow club members from Dickson,Tn. Brian S and Tom...both of which shot a very good match.

For those who have wondered about this match put it down as one to go to.

I bet there were some folks who are mighty glad that the chrono got thrown out, but "physics is physics".

If the chrono is set too close, then it should read faster-than-normal, thereby increasing everyone's power factor a very small amount and giving them a perceived advantage.

With that being said, if you were one of the folks who were "mightly glad", you might want to do some serious checking before you go to Mississippi or South Carolina.

From what I heard about the Equipment Checks, I'd be willing to bet that EGW is gonna have a run on Mag Length Gauges and USPSA will sell a "USPSA Box" or three. And I wish that I was in the Electronic Postal Scale business.

I'd like to congratulate Mark, Alan, Lee and the rest of the East Alabama Gunclub on a very well set up, organized and staffed match. It took me maybe an hour to walk all the stages and tweek just a couple to help keep issues from coming up (They would have been minor issues too) ;)

I was asked to be the Range Master and had no hesitation to say "YES" as last year I worked the match as a "CRO" and everything was well run, organized and just plain "Great". The Chrono stage was the biggest "issue" of the match and it was cut and dry. This was my first time as Range Master for anything other than a local match and hope I did a good job. Not every body liked my calls, but some of you did. I did my best to use the rulebook as a guide and go from there. Several occasions I did call a NROI instructor and VERY EXPERIANCED Range Master to confirm my rulings and had got them right.

I would also like to Thank all the Staff on Friday and Saturday for their hard work and Patience with me. I'd do it again with all of them any time and any where !!!! :bow:

Congratulations to all who shot well. Thanks to all the sponsors as these matches might happen without them, but it sure would be harder to do.

As with all matches. There were some things that will be done different, or not at all, But I can say without hesitation it will be for the better of the match and your enjoyment. ;)

Job well done !!!!

Hopalong

(Sam Keen, Range Master)

I bet there were some folks who are mighty glad that the chrono got thrown out, but "physics is physics".

If the chrono is set too close, then it should read faster-than-normal, thereby increasing everyone's power factor a very small amount and giving them a perceived advantage.

With that being said, if you were one of the folks who were "mightly glad", you might want to do some serious checking before you go to Mississippi or South Carolina.

From what I heard about the Equipment Checks, I'd be willing to bet that EGW is gonna have a run on Mag Length Gauges and USPSA will sell a "USPSA Box" or three. And I wish that I was in the Electronic Postal Scale business.

I'll certainly agree "physics is physics", but if a chronograph is too close, the result is not always faster than normal.

The problem with having it too close is that the muzzle blast can reach the first sensor, generally shaking it, but for whatever reason causing a false "start" to the chronograph's reading. If the muzzle blast doesn't reach the second sensor, the bullet "stops" the timer as it is supposed to. However, because the gas is faster than the bullet and passed it, thereby starting the timer "early", the time used for calculating the speed is longer and the reading is slower, not faster. Of course you can get error messages instead of readings from muzzle blast, too, and if the blast reaches both the front and rear sensors, you can get erroneously high readings, like outrageously high. I believe this is why the minimum distance is required to be 10 feet by the USPSA rulebook. Google "chronograph too close muzzle blast" for some more info or if the above was confusing.

All that being said, my load at this match chronographed within about 10 fps (less than 2 PF) of what it did at home before I left, so I was fine. It should be noted I shoot Limited with a fairly fast burning powder, so it doesn't have as much muzzle blast and ejecta as other loads that might have been affected differently. Having run the chronograph for the past couple years at the Mississippi Classic, we'll do our best again this year to have as fair and accurate (as possible) of chrono setup, and I will double and triple check that our chronos are further than 10 feet away...

As for the match, I enjoyed it a lot and had a good time shooting and hanging out with Squad 7. Good job to the Match Administration and staff. Oh, and you too, Sam. Thank you for all your hard work!

Bryant

I'll certainly agree "physics is physics", but if a chronograph is too close, the result is not always faster than normal.

The problem with having it too close is that the muzzle blast can reach the first sensor, generally shaking it.....

I'll give you that one, especially with sub-sonic bullets. Thanks for reminding me.

Uh oh.... Josey gonna buy another new gun! I can see it coming. Y'know.... Matt is going to be here this weekend..... you could always call him and see if he'd bring you one..... I'm just sayin'...... 'the dark side'...... :devil:

Not every body liked my calls, but some of you did.

I liked the one call you rendered for me!

But you could have shot the calibration on that popper well below the line, instead of right on it! :lol:

It was great to meet you, though!

But you could have shot the calibration on that popper well below the line, instead of right on it! :lol:

suck up

suck up

Only to scary guys with Revolvers!