Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Cost of a custom 1911

jarozzy

Just for my own info, how much does a custom 1911 cost? The custom shops that have prices online are running in the $3000 range. That seems a bit much, is that because they are the more well known smiths?

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have been out of the custom gun market for some time but the one of the last ones I had dome was by Novak. I sent him a slide and frame and he supplied everything else and it was around $1700. (full custom) In to days $$ it would be in the 3,000 range. So I think that is a fair price for a true custom 1911.

Time = $ and it takes some time to properly fit and blend a 1911/2011 style pistol. $3k for a quality custom is not out of reality. I'm betting you can find some good 'smiths out there though (perhaps with less reputation) that may be a little cheaper.

I had my SS built to spec by an excellent smith with a national reputation for right at 2K in 2009. Not sure if he'd still do it at that price today, but add 2 yrs inflation and you'd get a good estimate. 3K seems a *little* high to me, but nowhere near out of the realm of possibility, especially if the smith has a deep backlog or you choose more expensive options.

I recently asked this same question to the smith I use for both of my 1911's. In today's market and the time it would take he said it would run me between $2500-$3000.

If you want big sticker shop, start looking at custom bicycles :surprise:

I love my Scott road bike! like guns we put a lot of miles on them but we pay for the comfort.

if you think it is a lot of money go to brownells and get the calculator and add up every part to the last pin. add shipping. you will probably come to over $1800 now say another $300 for machine work/blueing. then 16 hours of labor that comes out to $50 an hour to get the $3000 sticker. $50 an hour isnt a lot of money considering some bus drivers make more than that with benefits and dont have the overhead of a shop.

I have an EMP that was done by John Harrison and it was $3k, and I didn't even get a barrel fit or ignition parts (besides a trigger). Custom 1911's are pricy, but having a competent top smith do the work is the real difference. It also depends if you are talking about fitting some parts, or a full house custom. For a full house, expect $4k+. As for fitting parts and misc. stuff, that just depends how much you want to spend.

Check out the Louder Than Words forum.

If you're talking the best of the best. Then the smith will spend 120 - 150 hours building a full custom gun. What would you like to make for that amount of work. Not to mention you're one of the best at doing that kind of work. $3,500 - $4,500 doesn't sound too unfair does it. That is a months pay, minus the cost of the parts.

Before you order a custom gun you should know what you want and need. To speed $3000.00 + and get things you don't like or need is a waste of money. Custom should be built for you not just anyone with the money to speed.

I got a new Springfield armory stainless target model sent it to Copland Custom. I had a 3.25 trigger with C&C parts. He drilled out the factory front sight and added a very clean red fiber optic rod to it. undercut the frontstrap and checked it extra hi, 20 LPI. Cleaned up the slide to frame fit so it shoots about 2 inches at 25 yards. All in all I have a total of about 1700 including shipping. This gave me a whole lot of extra money for trigger time. Runs 100% and looks great. I will shoot it againest any 3000 dollar gun out there. That said, I could not out shoot a M/GM unless, I was shoot this pistola and he was chucking rocks, and that is maybe :roflol::cheers: Just a thought, just a thought.

springst45ad.jpg

springst45ah.jpg

springst45ac.jpg

Edited by usmc1974

I Priced out the parts for a single stack the other day and the total was $1300, you could have one finished for as little as $200, then add the build cost and time. Some of the Builders can build a 2011 for less then 3k, a single stack should be a little less money (lower frame cost, no serious slide cutting).

Good Luck

A

I Priced out the parts for a single stack the other day and the total was $1300, you could have one finished for as little as $200, then add the build cost and time. Some of the Builders can build a 2011 for less then 3k, a single stack should be a little less money (lower frame cost, no serious slide cutting).

Good Luck

A

You can parkerize a gun for less than $50.