Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Cost of a custom 1911

jarozzy

LOL

mcpl353.jpg

Tell that to Mark.

I'm not about to tell people how to spend their money, as that is not my place.

I would say 1000 (or more) to 1 people buy pistols to "just have" and not for shooting regularly.

ps. 1911s are super cheap compared to nice double barreled shotguns and safari rifles also. You can spend over 10k just on an engraved stock.

LOL yea your not wrong, on this one. Seem double rifles go for near 25 grand. but me if all I want to do is look at it, I can buy a 2oz gold piece with a 1911 engraved on it. :roflol:

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:rolleyes:

5200 hmm thats near 3 Caspian single stacks.

Jim/Pa

Sailors

I actually screwed that one up real good. it was in my gunbuilder and that was the price of my IMM open design. My Bad! the single stack was $3975 without infinicoat. add 600 for DLC...

Oh, come on guys. Parts can only be so fit. The barrel to slide to the frame. The tuning also can only go so far too. If all the parts are maticulessly hand fit together and hand polished that is all you can do. There is not a 1911 on the planet worth 3000 let alone 7 grand no matter what kind of art it is. If you are in this sport to win spend all extra money on shooting.. If you feel the need to throw away that much money there are a lot of hungry kids in this country.

yes, but there is a difference material wise. I dont want cast or MIM parts that were polished and fitted nicely. I want everything machined from the highest quality steel bar stock, to the highest tolerance, then polished and fit perfectly. not going to happen with "most" components. PS, I too would much rather have a gun built by Jim than Yost. Jim, can you get your hands on an SV singlestack frame??? :devil:

JL

SV wont sell frames period.

I tryed for a fella not long ago all I got was a bad day from all the (* I got .

You all hear me Kinda Pushing Caspian stuff and thats because Ive built guns of all kinds from most all the folks

out their who offer frames,Caspian so it seems to me and my Mic's are just down right good stuff and cant be beat,

and they will help you get done what ya are trying to do.

I built a 9x25 for myself years ago out of name brand stuff not caspian and the dang thing not only about crippled my right wrist

but it didnt last , I went through a bunch of parts with that gun till I put a Caspian slide on it, still got it but I aint shootin it.

Their is things a smith can do to parts that might be questionable "LIKE CRYO TREATING THEM"

BUT ITS BEST TO USE GOOD STUFF AND TAKE SOME EXTRA TIME ON THE CORNERS,NOOKS&CRANNIES.

Jim/Pa

Sailors

I know a handful of smiths that were able to get SV frames, so I figured I'd ask you since I love your style. I have a Foster ind. frame and several slides. they made it much easier to build than my armscor/Sarco stuff. While I am purely a hobbiest, and admit I have much to learn, I know what I think I like when I see or read about it. After owning a few infinity pistols, and building some 2011's with some SV billet parts, I have had very good luck with their stuff and think their billet SS frames with squared, undercut, and checkered trigger guard, checkered front strap looks and sounds really nice. saves me time and I don't have to worry about fudging it up :unsure:

I did get a bad slide from caspian that cracked at the ejection port shooting WWB in less than 1000 rounds, but they owned up and replaced it for me so I have 0 qualms about them. I was CA resident until last year, and couldn't get caspian frames, so I never even tried a caspian/foster wide body. Maybe I'll get a limited 6" hi cap built from you when I can afford it,or you got the time!

JL

Well, I have a few SV pistols and guns with SV parts.

It is true, SV limits the number of gunsmiths who gets their frames.

My SVs are built by Don Golembieski of Kodiak Precision. I can notice difference in just racking the slide between his guns and my other custom guns. Was it worth it to me. Yes. Are my other custom guns good-sure.

Would I buy Baer, Nowlin, Wilson and be satisfied - sure.

AM I a better shooter because of my custom gun-- excellent equipment facilitates improvement. Equipment is part of the equation for success as are training, practice, and experience.

If you are shooting the Bullseye game a 1911 with a 1 1/2" or less at 50 yard guarantee, coming from a well know smith who specializes in that type of gun you are looking at the 4 to $5000 piece. Keefer, Clark, Chambers, guys like that charge those kind of numbers.

Bill Laughridge did a piece on Bullseye v. IPSC guns. It went something along the lines that Bullseye shots 5 shoots in 2 minutes. The barrel fit was extremely tight to achieve the accuracy needed. IPSC shooting 32 rounds in 20 seconds which can generate some heat.

So his message was what works exceptionally well for Bullseye may not be the best way of doing it for IPSC.

Those bullseye gunsmiths are legends in their own time.

Times have changed, Les Baer and others offer a 1.5 or less at 50 yards now on his production guns for a extra cost.

If you are shooting the Bullseye game a 1911 with a 1 1/2" or less at 50 yard guarantee, coming from a well know smith who specializes in that type of gun you are looking at the 4 to $5000 piece. Keefer, Clark, Chambers, guys like that charge those kind of numbers.

A, A, yea right, How many shooters do you know at can shoot 1.5 to 2" groups at 50 yards??

You are missing the point.

There are many in the Bullseye game that demand that kind of precision. The "X" ring at 50 yards isn't very large. even with a perfect hold a gun not able to group as I described can easily be the difference in winning and losing a match. There is enough human error, you don't want that compounded by inadequate equipment.

In other words even with a perfect hold a .45 That can only group at 3" will easily lose you the x ring and perhaps the ten ring.

BTW the diameter of the X ring on a 50 yard target 1.7 inches and the 10 ring 3.3. You do the math. In many matches ties are broken by how many shots hit the X ring.

Edited by Jerry944T

A, A, yea right, How many shooters do you know at can shoot 1.5 to 2" groups at 50 yards??

Ever heard of Brian Enos? Rob Leatham? :rolleyes:

• 2 months later...

i just order a DW Havoc the past 3 using kkm barrels have shot .3 .4 and .6 inch groups at 25... not sure what they would do at 50 yards. my DW was only 4300. its based on the Caspian hi-cap frame. I like it better than the sti frame becuase it fits my hand better. I like it being more narrow.

I started off with a Springfield range officer, Sent it back to Springfield custom shop for some upgrades ended up with around 1700 in it. Ambi safety, ext mag release, SA mag well, checkering the frount strap. serrating rear of the slide. Dawson FO frount 4lb trigger, G10 grips and 2 tone finish , Looks good and runs great 500 + rounds with no stopages, I am sure it will shoot better and can, My eyes are old and by bodys fat and i have a flintch, but i can still shoot 6"plates at 20yds and zombies at 50yds

I started off with a Springfield range officer, Sent it back to Springfield custom shop for some upgrades ended up with around 1700 in it. Ambi safety, ext mag release, SA mag well, checkering the frount strap. serrating rear of the slide. Dawson FO frount 4lb trigger, G10 grips and 2 tone finish , Looks good and runs great 500 + rounds with no stopages, I am sure it will shoot better and can, My eyes are old and by bodys fat and i have a flintch, but i can still shoot 6"plates at 20yds and zombies at 50yds

This one started off as a SA Mil Spec...Off it went to the Springfield Custom Shop...It was just under $3k for the parts, work, and finish...not including the cost of the original gun (figure $600+-)...not my build but it's mine now.

post-35075-0-77752400-1317973886_thumb.j

Edited by keenkeen