Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Back up guns

jarozzy

I just recently started shooting USPSA and began with an M&P 40 with 4.25 barrel. I have added SSS ESP magwell, Dawson fixed rear and FO front sights and Apex AEK trigger kit. I have purchased 6 additional mags 3 of which have Taylor Freelance 140mm extensions. Two weeks ago I found an M&P 40 Pro which I plan to add the SSS ESP magwell and the Apex AEK trigger kit to. I will need to buy another Bladetech holster for the 40 Pro but other than that my mags and mag pouches will work on eithr gun. I plan to move the original gun to a backup gun any time I am traveling to a match

Edited by Aggieddad02

I have back up limited and production guns. Of course, the limited guns would serve as L-10 guns as well so I guess I have backups for that division as well. I don't have a back up revolver, open gun, or Single Stack. I can see getting another single stack and probably another 625 5" if the right deal comes along, but a backup open gun is going to be a bit pricey. Maybe one day.

I have always had backup guns. Luckily I've never had to use one. I been thinking on selling my backup pistols could use the money, but because I live in California. I can't replace thses pistols because of there crappy gun laws. So I've been holding back.

• 3 months later...

It's definitely a good idea to have a back up. My TS sheared the barrel lug at the Gator Classic this year. I shot three different guns before lunch on the first day. My back up, in this case, was my XDM .40. While the XDM is fine for production, the long trigger reset, coupled with standard capacity mags and ammo that was not regulated for the sights on the gun made for the most unpleasant match ever.

My backup is a second 625 setup identically to my primary gun except that it has a light action job rather than the Carmoney competition action job. This means if I have to go to factory ammo, the backup gun will handle it. I rotate which gun I am shooting in club matches.

I have two Browning Hi-Powers - had a front sight fly off at a

match 200 miles from home, on the first stage:(

I have two TruBore's - both 9mm major. Works great - I use one

for practice to keep the round count low on my primary competition

TruBore, plus I have two at most matches just in case, and once

I loaned one to another shooter.

Also great if you have to send your primary gun out to the gunsmith

for a month - won't have to miss four matches:(

I decided to buy the backup TruBore when I went to the Nationals a

few years ago - couldn't afford to fly to Vegas and have the gun

down during the four day match - it turned out to be a great move.

I love having backup...

Jack

• 4 months later...

Depends on your sense of backup guns. But yes, I always have backups. Be it carry or competition. One of the up sides of running glocks for race pistols is I have a spare if something goes tits up or isn't quite how it should be. Comp I have Glock 34 + 34 backup. Carry Glock 17 or 22, with G 27 as backup. Duty, M4 with MEU(SOC) lol

I just recently started shooting USPSA and began with an M&P 40 with 4.25 barrel. I have added SSS ESP magwell, Dawson fixed rear and FO front sights and Apex AEK trigger kit. I have purchased 6 additional mags 3 of which have Taylor Freelance 140mm extensions. Two weeks ago I found an M&P 40 Pro which I plan to add the SSS ESP magwell and the Apex AEK trigger kit to. I will need to buy another Bladetech holster for the 40 Pro but other than that my mags and mag pouches will work on eithr gun. I plan to move the original gun to a backup gun any time I am traveling to a match

I have recently started reloading and working on loads to get to major PF. I have been told that using a 5" gun to test loads would not be the same in the 4.25" gun. Had a chance to sell the 4.25" at a good price so I bought a second M&P 40 Pro 5". Waiting on Apex AEK kit and ESP magwell to come in and then off to the gunsmith and at that point I will have two identical guns. No extra costs for mags, holster or mag holders. I plan to alternate guns at matches so I am not surprised if I ever have to go to the back-up gun

i usually bring one on bigger matches as i have learned the hard way when my main gun before choked on me and its not fun trying to guess whats wrong with it during a match changed all springs on it and still choked... nowadays i try to keep everything identical to my main guns it has not choked yet since i changed builders but just in case the back up is there...

I have a back-up for my production gun (XDm 5.25) - since I got both, plus the triggers, sights, etc, for less than my Wilson I sold.

I hardly ever shoot single-stack or revolver - no back-ups for those.

I've never had a problem w. my open gun, but I should probably buy a back-up for it, someday... (That will, probably, be the next gun I buy... Maybe...)

When I was shooting limited I had to use my production gun for 2 NW Section Points Series matches when my Limited gun didn't make it back from repairs in time. Even shooting limited minor allowed me to get needed points from those two matches.

Now that I have been shooting open and shoot Area Matches and Nationals I have a backup open gun.

Shooting some Multigun matches this year including NW Multigun and Ironman and have heard that borrowing guns is what generally happens during matches if you have a failure. Was shooting a 3gun Match last month and my buddy's shotgun failed hard on the first stage so we shared mine for the remainder of the match as we were both shooting open.

:cheers: