Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

NEW JPL open shorty

lewlew

I just got this new open shorty(9mm major) from JPL precision. Nice work and shoots pretty good as new gun. It has KKM barrel on it.

With 7.0g Silouette, 124g montana would make 161 PF(for IPSC).

- Could you guys give me some thoughts of how I could dress up the grip? Skateboard tape?

- What are your set up? recoil spring? powder? ammo OAL?

Thank you in advance!!

Also thanks to John of JPL for the nice work.

post-18499-0-26358500-1311188168_thumb.j

post-18499-0-07317800-1311188176_thumb.j

I would have someone stipple your grip or if you are handy with a soldiering iron, you can do it yourself. G-man Bart posted some instructions to DIY a few years back. You also might want to looking at getting a grip already complete and then sell your stock grip. I like Jim Shanahan's grip at Advanced Performance. His web is:

http://www.advancedp...g.com/page2.php

I have three of his grips on STI guns and I love them! My next favorite is the one by Derek at Millennium.

I heard about the Dawson grip tape and they look promising but I never tried them. Problem with those is that you have to keep changing tape and I hate that. Get a grip or modify yours and be done with it.

Good luck!

Edited by gng4life

130.jpg

I sanded stippled and painted my grip. Took better part of an afternoon but was a fun project. My load of choice is 7.4grains of sil 124 grain mg cmj bullet to 1.17 oal. 9lb recoil spring and 15lb mainspring.

What load did John recommend, I would start with that. He is well known in the NW for his 9Major guns.

He recommend 7.6g of Silouette would make 171 PF with 124 MG. I just finished putting my custom grip tape on it. Will post picture tmr.

get the grip stippled ,world of difference. maybe a racker and mag release button button

+1 for grip stippling! and have the front under cut stippled too.

I run a Predator Tactical Wraith which is a "shorty" http://www.predatortactical.com/Custom-Firearms/High-Capacity-Pistols/Wraith-Open-Gun-p376.html

Shuemann AET barrel

PT 90degree mounted c-more

ETA: 10 LBS reciol spring

7.1 grs AutoComp with MGB 124JHP @ col 1.185in firm crimp pf 169.2

Edited by TRUbor9

Nice looking gun, I get my shorty from JPL on Friday, can't wait to start shooting it! This will be my third JPL custom gun and all of them have looked great and shot better. Renton will be it's first outing.

Doug

Edited by Doug H.

Nice JPL gun.

Find a load that makes major and load a bunch of it.

Experiment with grip pressure, elbow positioning, etc.

Get RC springs in 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 and try them to see what you like.

Your grip will make more difference than the recoil springs will.

Once you find something that works, dry practice a LOT.

Be warned that Silhouette is inverse temp sensitive. Very important for if you you work up a load for typical Pac NW and then go to somewhere much hotter (Idaho, Nevada, etc).

Finally I got to shoot more today. And took some pictures on the new skateboard tape. It shoots a lot like my friend's Match master but this one is a bit heavier. By all means I just love it.

Was trying to look for the Canadian Flag skateboard tape but no luck. This one is just a temp.

post-18499-0-69401500-1311315865_thumb.j

post-18499-0-22453500-1311315875_thumb.j

post-18499-0-96133300-1311315883_thumb.j

Very sweet, John builds a nice 9 Major gun! It will be pretty cool if you can track down the Canadian Flag grip tape!

Edited by jid2

Gee, gotta love the originality in JPL's slight lightening cuts... rolleyes.gif

He sells them as "Brazos style" lightening holes, what more do you want? :rolleyes:

Nice thing about John is he'll put any kind of cuts that you want on your gun. I liked the Brazos look but wanted a gun built by a guy I could look in the eye and talk to, not mail my gun off to another state. John has done repairs for me with virtually no notice before big matches, the day before I had to leave, "bring it over and we'll get it fixed", most recently on an old Caspian Open gun that started doubling. Not knocking any other smiths, just like mine to be local in addition to being talented.

Doug

Got my new gun from John last night, took it to Wade's, fired a hundred rounds and then had him check it over. He also fit a 7 lb spring for regular 9mm loads. Took it back to Wade's fired a couple hundred more 9mm major loads. Put in the 7 lb spring and fired a couple hundred more minor 9mm rounds. This thing is a ton on fun with the low power loads, I had some kid from a nearby booth try it out and he was hammering the 9mm minor loads. Out of about 500 rounds I only had one 9mm minor load hang on the feed ramp when it was dirty. Otherwise 100% flawless feeding and fireing. Now I can finally shoot that 4 thousand rounds of cheap 9mm I bought to shoot in my Glock 34. Optic mount is the CCG, has a heavy Ice magwell cause I'm used to the Caspian. Yes it has Brazos style holes (because I like how they look, and it's my gun and I wanted them!) but they are a different size and angle than the "original". Can't wait to take it to Renton this weekend and to the Rocky Mountain 3 gun match the following week.

Doug

post-8887-0-15245200-1311437843_thumb.jp