Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Catch Phrases or Sayings That Bug You

In the govy world there are many. At meetings we play "buzz word bingo" with the phrases. Here are a few that kill me;

"long pole in the tent"

"tip of the spear"

"think outside the box"

"supporting the warfighter"

"ADHOC"

"low hanging fruit"

"do more with less"

and on and on :roflol:

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In the govy world there are many. At meetings we play "buzz word bingo" with the phrases. Here are a few that kill me;

"long pole in the tent"

"tip of the spear"

"think outside the box"

"supporting the warfighter"

"ADHOC"

"low hanging fruit"

"do more with less"

and on and on :roflol:

Wow, we must work for the same people.

I was going to post "cool beans". Noticed it was the second post! HA. My retort is always, "yep, cooool legumes".

"Credick or Debit?"

I couldn't let that one go by without calling them out. Guess it's good that I've never heard it.

Of course the classic "Oh my Gawwd" now imortalized as "OMG" I refuse to text with anyone who uses it.

Edited by Kevin G.

"Credick or Debit?"

I couldn't let that one go by without calling them out. Guess it's good that I've never heard it.

Of course the classic "Oh my Gawwd" now imortalized as "OMG" I refuse to text with anyone who uses it.

I generally just reply back with "debick" but unfortunately it goes unnoticed. :(

When someone wants to say they are about to do something and they "I'm fixin' to..." :angry: Drives me up the damn wall!!!!!

It took me quite a while while living in Texas to not cringe when I heard that.....

Fixin to what? think about doing something, just do it. Wait a minute there's another one. :wacko:

Here's a contribution from my better half:

"When you peel it back..."

My first reaction was "What're you peeling? A banana?" Her boss uses it in meetings. For example:

"When you peel it back, the reason this thread is so entertaining is because these catch phrases and sayings are simultaneoulsy amusing and annoying."

"Outsourcing"

God, how I hate that word!!!! :angry2::angry2:

No, folks, that word means LOSS OF AMERICAN JOBS. Plain and simple. Don't freakin' try to cover that foul pile of error with an intellectually limp little euphemism. Outsourcing, my ass. :sick:

------------

"When you peel it back..." God, that's downright creepy. Who was the pervert that thought THAT one up...? Jack the Ripper?? :surprise::ph34r:

"Outsourcing"

God, how I hate that word!!!! :angry2::angry2:

No, folks, that word means LOSS OF AMERICAN JOBS. Plain and simple. Don't freakin' try to cover that foul pile of error with an intellectually limp little euphemism. Outsourcing, my ass. :sick:

------------

"When you peel it back..." God, that's downright creepy. Who was the pervert that thought THAT one up...? Jack the Ripper?? :surprise::ph34r:

How about "un-installed" as in a termination? I'm an IT guy that works closely with various departments, HR being one of them. Oh and now I think what used to be HR is now HCM - Human Capital Management. :surprise:

On "When you peel it back..." I believe the person was refering to a fruit or a vegetable - perhaps an onion. Like in the Shrek movie - "Onions have layers Donkey!"

"This is gonna' sound stupid, but..." and "Don't take this the wrong way, but..."

Do these people realize that prefacing something with a disclaimer does not exempt them from the consequences of the comments that follow?

Mac

"This is gonna' sound stupid, but..." and "Don't take this the wrong way, but..."

Do these people realize that prefacing something with a disclaimer does not exempt them from the consequences of the comments that follow?

Mac

Yeah that's kind of like, "No offense but..." and then they go onto insult you.

"It is what it is."

Ugh. Worked with a teacher that said this nonstop.

A few others:

"The change was huge! They did a 360."

-Really, so they went full circle. The end result is no change. You however, are a moron.

"This is so flusterating."

-BZZZZZZT! Not a word!

"I could care less..."

-If you could care less, then on some level you do care...which negates what you are actually trying to say.

It changes, based on exposure.

Most recently, it was criminal overuse of the word "Dude".

Had a coworker who used "Dude" for EVERYTHING.

"Hi" was a short, "Dude"

Amazement was a higer pitched and drawn out, "Dude"

Irritation was a lower voiced and louder, "Dude"

The most irritating thing about it?

One day, I caught myself saying, "Dude" :angry2:

When people review guns, and use terms like "Put it through its paces" and when referring to the grip on the gun "Allows a firm purchase". Or lets the shooter get a "firm purchase" .I cringe everytime I hear or read it.

When people review guns, and use terms like "Put it through its paces" and when referring to the grip on the gun "Allows a firm purchase". Or lets the shooter get a "firm purchase" .I cringe everytime I hear or read it.

With yours in mind........."Trigger breaks like a glass rod".